Mk7 Golf shuddering

Started by nikhilg12, April 22, 2021, 02:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikhilg12

My Golf TSI DSG has this weird shuddering when accelarating from stop, almost like how a manual car would. At higher speeds and higher gear its fine and smooth, honestly the smoothest car I have driven, coming from a line of Japanese cars I have owned in the past, very last being the Honda Accord Type S.

I cant get over how it would shudder from stop, its annoying especially in traffic and on an incline it seems to do it more. I have yet to do a DSG service since I bought this vehicle, however reading from other forums it seems this is a common behaviour of the DSG?? Really??

Like it scares me that if i ever need to take a right turn from a street, I might end up crashing if the distance between me and the oncoming car is not far enough, as the acceleration is not quick as it should be from stationery. Not sure if this is the "turbo lag" people refer to.

I also noticed how the gear almost instantly shifts in 2nd from 1st, is this normal for DSG???? I have to put the gear into manual mode so i can override this and change the gear from 1st to2nd at a higher RPM so it doesnt damage the cluttch??

You guys experienced the same issues in your golf's?
2013 MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI

albert7550

Never had any of my previous/ current DSGs behave like that so does not sound right. Shouldn't feel much different from an auto during normal driving, other than maybe some quicker shifts. Early shift to 2nd is normal nowadays in quest to reduce emissions. Would not worry about the impact on the clutch though as it is meant to operate like this.
2014 Audi S3
1992 VW Golf mk1 GTi Cabriolet
1970 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3S

McDoof

Sounds like you have the 7 speed dry dsg. The shift from 1st to second is normal. Put it in Sport mode of you want it to hold. If it is the 7 speed, then there is a known issue with the clutch packs that causes the shudder. I think there is a recall for it. Replacement clutch pack essentially for the even gears
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

nikhilg12

Yes mine is a dry clutch. I called VW Continental yesterday and found out that my unit has had a mechatronic recall done on it last year (assuming while it was in Japan). I also did a reset of my DSG gearbox and I can feel a noticeable difference in driving now, gear shifts are much smoother and that jerkiness has almost disappeared.
2013 MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI