Dry Clutch DSG Service??

Started by nikhilg12, April 24, 2021, 10:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikhilg12

Hi Team!

So I recently found out that my mk7 Golf TSI has a dry clutch not a wet clutch, and VW Tristram in West Auckland suggested that it doesnt need a DSG Service? Is this true?

Also they confirmed my car had a mechatronics recall done last year so that part is replaced, although it does jerk a bit when moving in 1st gear to 2nd and SO MUCH MORE in bumper to bumper traffic.

I called Gearbox factory in west auckland and had a DSG Service booked in, they didnt even ask me whether it was dry or wet clutch DSG, guy didnt seem to know much? What would be have serviced and charged me  :o :o

Does this particular clutch need any other service? Basic transmission fluid changing?
2013 MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI

breakfastdude

From what I understand it will involve a basic fluid change indeed, along with filter change. While the clutches aren't bathed in fluid, fluids still exist within the valve body/mechatronics.

You might want to have your transmission checked by someone who knows these. Try JC Automatic in Henderson, as from what I know they regularly service/fix both dq200 (dry clutch dsg) and dq250 (wet clutch) trannies. Yours might just need an adaptation done.

nikhilg12

Quote from: breakfastdude on April 24, 2021, 11:14:34 AM
From what I understand it will involve a basic fluid change indeed, along with filter change. While the clutches aren't bathed in fluid, fluids still exist within the valve body/mechatronics.

You might want to have your transmission checked by someone who knows these. Try JC Automatic in Henderson, as from what I know they regularly service/fix both dq200 (dry clutch dsg) and dq250 (wet clutch) trannies. Yours might just need an adaptation done.

Yeah i figured that the gearbox would still require some sort of maintenance even though its a dry clutch. I have called Tristram and Giltrap and they both confirmed that my car has had a mechatronics recall last year with the part swapped and fixed. Im just not very satisfied with the way this car jerks when accelarating from stop especially on an incline
2013 MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI

GLIDN

Quote from: nikhilg12 on April 24, 2021, 08:15:21 PM
Yeah, I figured that the gearbox would still require some sort of maintenance even though it's a dry clutch. I have called Tristram and Giltrap and they both confirmed that my car has had a mechatronics recall last year with the part swapped and fixed. I'm just not very satisfied with the way this car jerks when accelerating from a stop especially on an incline

If your mech unit was replaced last year? They would have had to replace the fluid as well.

1. would be to perform a DSG adaption on your vehicle and see if that improves your driving experience at all.
2. Would be looking at getting a DQ200 tune from TVS Engineering, which should resolve your experience. Shoot me a PM if you would like some more information about TVS engineering.

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

nikhilg12

Quote from: GLIDN on April 27, 2021, 10:24:50 AM
If your mech unit was replaced last year? They would have had to replace the fluid as well.

1. would be to perform a DSG adaption on your vehicle and see if that improves your driving experience at all.
2. Would be looking at getting a DQ200 tune from TVS Engineering, which should resolve your experience. Shoot me a PM if you would like some more information about TVS engineering.

I have PM'd you mate. Would be keen to know more about the DQ200 tune. I have done a DSG reset on my car and have noticed some difference in the jerkiness, but it seems I have to accelerate a bit more compared to before to get good speed.  :'(
2013 MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI

jj44

Spoke to VW grey lynn and they say the dry clutch has a fluid change scheduled maintenance ~160k KM.
Verified this with the MK7 workshop maintenance schedule.

Not sure if i'm prepared to wait that long though.
2013 Mk7 Golf 1.4 TSI Highline

LouieP

Quote from: jj44 on August 26, 2021, 11:53:42 AM
Spoke to VW grey lynn and they say the dry clutch has a fluid change scheduled maintenance ~160k KM.
Verified this with the MK7 workshop maintenance schedule.

Not sure if i'm prepared to wait that long though.
As a person who works for a company that sells mechanical break down insurance. Majority of the vw claims are for vw's with this gearbox. It only goes away after the mechatronic is replaced, then clutches and then new gearbox.
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

jj44

Quote from: LouieP on August 26, 2021, 07:40:31 PM
As a person who works for a company that sells mechanical break down insurance. Majority of the vw claims are for vw's with this gearbox. It only goes away after the mechatronic is replaced, then clutches and then new gearbox.

OFFTOPIC but i gt to ask:

1. Whats the best MBI in Auckland? Im currently with Autolife and they are terrible to deal with. Thankfully never had to make a claim and the end of 3 years is coming up so will be shopping around.

2. So if i'm to understand this correctly, will MBI companies not cover DSG failures even when you are following Manufacturer's schedule? even when the dealer has advised to service at 160km?
if so, once lockdown is over, i'll be headed down to VW and getting a written copy of that statement for if/when the need arises to battle it out with MBI.
2013 Mk7 Golf 1.4 TSI Highline

LouieP

Quote from: jj44 on August 26, 2021, 10:55:55 PM
OFFTOPIC but i gt to ask:

1. Whats the best MBI in Auckland? Im currently with Autolife and they are terrible to deal with. Thankfully never had to make a claim and the end of 3 years is coming up so will be shopping around.

2. So if i'm to understand this correctly, will MBI companies not cover DSG failures even when you are following Manufacturer's schedule? even when the dealer has advised to service at 160km?
if so, once lockdown is over, i'll be headed down to VW and getting a written copy of that statement for if/when the need arises to battle it out with MBI.
Hmmmmmm, it appears you've drawn your own conclusion for both of those questions.  They are terrible to deal with but you've never made a claim?

Now that we are in level 4 for a little longer, it is the perfect time to ask Autolife for your policy booklet and read through and see what you're covered for. As far as I am aware, once the policy expires, you will not be able to get another one (unless Autolife allows you to). Autosure does not sell to the general public anymore and many others have never done so. The risk involved with these kinds of cars is not feasible to the underwriter.

If your golf is not an NZ New car the dealers wont offer a lot of support for imports unfortunately. My only advice to you is make sure your vehicle is up to service standards as come claim time, they have no reason to turn you away unless its wear and tear related.

Oil changes every year or 10,000km's which ever comes first. DSG serviced every 60,000 kms and coolant flushed if its not pink. I assumed you would have done all of this when you bought the vehicle?

It's not a good thing that you have not had to make a claim. Cars usually break within the first 6 months ownership or after the policy has expired.

Kind Regards and all the best you two

NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

johnp

The dry clutch DSG does not have a 60K service interval.
Why? Because u are not getting all the metal particles in the oil from the metal wet clutch.
160k is correct, but if u are anal like me, I would do it 100K to 120K, probably the former.