Looking to buy Golf R MK7 but confused

Started by Jobu, July 05, 2021, 10:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobu

Hi guys,
Firstly, I love this Klub, have learnt soo much about car in last 2 days since i joined ! Thanks  :D

I am looking to buy a 2014 Golf R MK7, stage 2 tuned. Its done some 48K kms and its from a dealer so feeling little secure.
I am very new to NZ, and have no experience owning any European car. Is there anything in particular i must keep in mind before buying it ? i.e major servicing ? dsg ? or something else ?
I am a little concerned about the infotainment unit being in Japanese, but a few topics here suggest me that i can get that converted or changed to NZ one.

Other confusion i have is choosing between an Audi S3 or Golf R ? I like both the cars, and almost both in my budget as well but need some expert opinion !!

Thanks in advance.
Cheers

coons

DSG service is due at 60,000km, but probably worth doing now as the car is quite low km for being 7 years old. Also worth getting the Haldex (rear differential) serviced too. Both are about $200-250.

The radio unit is easy to switch both the language to English and the frequency band to NZ spec. PM me if you buy it and I can assist.
Converting the navigation to NZ maps is less easy - about $1,000.

nikhilg12

Do not buy the car without the mechanical warranty. Golf's do tend to have DSG issues and you will most likely encounter this at some point. Although not sure if you will be eligible for one since its stage 2 tuned and not factory. Otherwise a great choice of car  :)

European cars are definitely a bit more expensive to maintain no doubt like servicing and parts etc. I recently had to change my cornering lights and both front headlight bulbs, cost me around $300 just for the bulbs, but you will appreciate the drive quality and the overall build quality and features compared to a Japanese car. I have a golf and I have never owned a euro before this and I dont think i can go back to owning a Japanese car after owning this.
2013 MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI

LouieP

MQB Owner Checking in...

100% buy a mechanical insurance, however if the car is already stage 2 you may not be eligible as Nikhil said.

-I would ask the current owner for service receipts but more specifically engine service, dsg service and haldex service. If this is unavailable walk away.
-I would ask if the waterpump has been replaced as this car WILL leak coolant whilst in your ownership and it can be from anywhere as most of the cooling is plastic.
-I would ask if its been carbon cleaned in the past and if the injectors was too. These engine's have a tendency to have a stuck injector due to carbon build up. The plastic inlet manifold is also known to fail.
-I would ask who tuned the car and did the work as theres a few known companies around that have interesting tunes. If it is the car below in question, good luck lol
-I would try and see which revision turbo this car has as the early IS38's are known to fail.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/volkswagen/golf/listing/3155760338?bof=iPqib1sG

I would also get someone reputable to do a pre purchase inspection. I would recommend someone like Leo at EuroLab

Finding a car thats been well looked after and warmed up to temp before being booted is always more important than anything else.

400HP in a golf definitely is fun though

All the best!
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

schattenblau

The R in the TM link looks out of place amongst the dealers other listings...

>:D