Turbo charges and Supercharged 1.4

Started by pntlindsay, October 16, 2021, 10:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pntlindsay

Hi,
Can someone please tell me how I can tell if a mk6 golf has a 1.4 supercharged + turbo engine vs just a turbocharged?  (apart form the TSI plate having red on the S and I) I understand that the T + S has a smoother power band - is that correct? Is 1 option superior to the other?
Thanks,  Phillip

liv

Quote from: pntlindsay on October 16, 2021, 10:26:42 PM
Hi,
Can someone please tell me how I can tell if a mk6 golf has a 1.4 supercharged + turbo engine vs just a turbocharged?  (apart form the TSI plate having red on the S and I) I understand that the T + S has a smoother power band - is that correct? Is 1 option superior to the other?
Thanks,  Phillip

you should be able to see the cover of the supercharger towards the rear of the motor.  90kW Turbo only version wont have it.  I've had both, and to be honest, Turbo only version with the DSG box also has a smooth power band so its hard to tell based just on power delivery and a butt dyno.  With the twincharge, you can clearly hear the supercharger whine if you listen carefully.

Depending on the motor you have, the twincharge can be problematic - failed pistons if you use low octane fuel, waterpump failures etc.  Later model motors, and keeping them well maintained with the correct fuel and plenty of fun to be had.  Turbo only version is just plain reliable, with a decent amount of kick.  Easier to mod if you want to go down that route, however the DQ200 DSG box is always the weakpoint on these cars.
2016 Audi S4 (B9)
2019 Mercedes Benz B180 AMG (W247)