Buying Advice MK7 GTI

Started by McDoof, October 21, 2021, 09:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McDoof

Hey guys, thought I would ask here as I might actually get a real anwer. The FB page just attracts trolls for stuff like this.
Looking at a MK7 GTI
Have agreed a price and have included a 3 year Autosure Extreme Plus policy in the deal
Fresh import from Japan
It has been stuck, in a storage yard, waiting for compliance. I managed to get access to the vehicle at the compliance storage yard. So I have essentialy seen the car before the dealer/importer has seen it.
From the outside looks in excellent condition
100k on the clock
4 new Michelin PS4 tyres
Hardly a mark on it, both inside and out
Looks like almost new brake disks and pads

Then I opened the bonnet and would like to ask if any of these would be an immediate walk away situation:o

1. Firstly and most importantly. Coolant level is super low. There is only a tiny bit visible at the bottom of the expansion container
I know these cars are prone to leaking from the thermostat housing
The dealer has assured me that if there is any leak in the system it will be recified prior to me taking the car. But is that enough?

2. Oil on the top of the heat shield at the back of the engine. Not even sure where that would come from.

3. Last but not least. This surface corrosion on the alternator and some oil on this bit above. I only noticed that oil when I looked at this pic later. I think that is the oil cap though, so probably just some spillage.

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

liv

not sure on the oil observations, but the 7/7.5 GTI did have a coolant leak issue caused by either the waterpump or main radiator, which used plastic connectors and leaked over time.  My 7.5 GTI in SA suffered from the same issue after 25k km, and had the radiator replaced under warranty which solved the problem.
2016 Audi S4 (B9)
2019 Mercedes Benz B180 AMG (W247)

80 Vert

Probably water pump as suggested, pretty common on the CHH engine.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

LouieP

Waterpump will 100% fail on every mqb. Good on them for advising you that it will be rectified and if it is make sure they provide you with receipts and proof. Autosure will decline pre-exisitng mechanical faults. Mine had its waterpump replaced and radiator at 115k in 2019, a coolant flange also failed just before new zealand went into lockdown in August.
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

McDoof

Looks like waterpump is in order. Everything pressure tested and vehicle fully checked out. Only fault found was a small of oil sweat from the cam chain cover.

Have bought the car. So let's hope the water pump has been replaced in the past or if it goes, it happens in the next 3 years.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red