Engine prep for big turbo

Started by avi.m, December 10, 2021, 09:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avi.m

Hey guys,

I know it?s been a minute since my last post. I hope everyone is keeping safe and all that ;D

Straight to business. I?ve still got the Pirelli, now stage 2+ with a bunch of supporting mods. She is a tonne of fun in the midrange, but drops off at the top - I read this is typical of a K04. And, as is the evolution of life, we need more power. I?ve been looking at hybrid turbo and big turbo setups, and I?ve come to the conclusion that a GTX3071R would be the way to go. The reason being, given the goals for the Pirelli, the gains from a hybrid or even smaller GTX over the K04 would probably not satisfy - at least from what I have read. From the brief research that I?ve done, the following is required for a BT setup:

- cylinder head port and polish
- valves, springs and retainers
- ARP head studs
- RS4 injectors and fuel rail valve
- LPFP
- engine and tranny mounts
- clutchpack and LSD
- turbo and manifold
- custom tune

Now, I?ve come across builds with forged pistons and rods, though I am not sure how necessary these are with the uprated Pirelli/ED30 engine. I?ve also read that while the pistons can handle higher power demands, the rods would have to be changed - though best to do both together. I understand that doing the pistons and rods would be safer, and it also allows a lower compression ratio for higher boost applications. Btw, I?ve not included intake, down-pipe, cat-back, HPFP, IC, and brakes as these are normally done for stage 2+.

I expect some, if not most, to advise me to move on to a Mk7, but the simple answer is I don?t want to. If I were to upgrade, the only platform that I truely like (aesthetics wise) is the Mk6, and it would be an ED35 or 6R which pretty much have the same engine as the Pirelli. And, those of us who have driven both know that the driving experience of the Mk6 is a step down. So, I?d rather spend the money on making the Pirelli a weapon.

Oh, how could I forget.. the goal for the Pirelli is 400whp, I will pretty much daily her, obviously spirited driving, and the the occasional drag meet.

As always, thanks in advance for any feedback. And, feel free to drop a follow or like, her Gram @its_a_relli 8)

Cheers!

Avi
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

Period_Correct_

I have a K26/K27 for sale @ $1300.
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

avi.m

Thanks, but I?m not looking to purchase any parts at this stage. Purely gathering info on what is required to achieve that hp.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

Alittletuningco

Have a read here- https://performancebyie.com/blogs/ie-auto-blog/definitive-guide-building-2-0t-fsi-bottom-end

Do you want to open the engine up after you've built it? Building the 1.8T - its built to withstand 700+ with the components, it will however only planned to make 550crank (430whp) - but I dont want to ever have to open the block up again due to a component limiting the engine.

I'd be looking into:
1) Rods
2) Pistons
3) Main and Rod bearings
4) ARP Main studs
5) 6 bolt timing cog and ARP Stud
6) Fluidampr pulley
7) Valves, guides, seals, springs and retainers
8) ARP Head bolts

But the article above is a good place to start with your reading also

LouieP

Did you ever think about changing your ecu/tcu tune? I've been in a stage 2+ k04 and its no slouch. If you gonna go big turbo you probably want to forge the motor for peace of mind
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

avi.m

Quote from: Alittletuningco on December 13, 2021, 08:12:07 AM
Have a read here- https://performancebyie.com/blogs/ie-auto-blog/definitive-guide-building-2-0t-fsi-bottom-end

Do you want to open the engine up after you've built it? Building the 1.8T - its built to withstand 700+ with the components, it will however only planned to make 550crank (430whp) - but I dont want to ever have to open the block up again due to a component limiting the engine.

I'd be looking into:
1) Rods
2) Pistons
3) Main and Rod bearings
4) ARP Main studs
5) 6 bolt timing cog and ARP Stud
6) Fluidampr pulley
7) Valves, guides, seals, springs and retainers
8) ARP Head bolts

But the article above is a good place to start with your reading also

Thanks for that, I will have a good read. I definitely do not want to be opening the engine again, if I?m going to do it then do it once and do it right. I see that your company has most of the parts, I take it you can get the others upon request? Also, what turbo kits are you able to source?
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

avi.m

Quote from: LouieP on December 13, 2021, 08:08:06 PM
Did you ever think about changing your ecu/tcu tune? I've been in a stage 2+ k04 and its no slouch. If you gonna go big turbo you probably want to forge the motor for peace of mind

Oh, she is definitely no slouch, in fact she is furious through the midrange but drops off at the top - I didn?t notice it as much until I went up against a GLC63 AMG. Weather was good, tires were up to temp and hooked up well with zero slippage through the gears. Just couldn?t keep up. I know that my tune is focused in the midrange, but before I get her on the dyno again, I?d like to upgrade some of the fuelling items.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

Alittletuningco

Quote from: avi.m on December 14, 2021, 12:15:38 AM
Thanks for that, I will have a good read. I definitely do not want to be opening the engine again, if I?m going to do it then do it once and do it right. I see that your company has most of the parts, I take it you can get the others upon request? Also, what turbo kits are you able to source?

Can happily supply the majority of the interior build parts. Turbo choice and manifold are going to be price and power dependent. I?d be using a Nortech manifold (from the UK) and a G25/G30 series turbo as they are just amazing for the frame size. We are connected with Pro-Race Engineering in the UK for these parts and so if need be can bring them in if you went that way.

avi.m

Good to know, thanks. I?ve looked at the G25 550, it?s quite impressive. I have another question, I?ll DM you.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.