KV engine do it yourself cambelt change

Started by Bruis, March 26, 2022, 12:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruis

Just completed this job on my Coupe Quattro at home....would not like to pay hourly rate for the time it took me, but I had a non-runner donor car to practice on and very glad I was able to do this.  Being a fore and aft engine, it is very accessible, and sohc is certainly simpler than two. I wont go into detail...anyone wanting to do this is welcome to contact me for hints and tips, but suffice it to say that the removing the crank pulley bolt proved VERY CHALLENGING!!! The other tricky area is watching that the cam pulley keyway does not get dislodged when refitting the pulley. It would be all to easy to finish the job and find that the camshaft was not turning when you first tried to start the motor!!! Beleive me, this has happened, but not to me, I hasten to add. After several attempts, I decided to glue the keyway in with superglue, and that did the trick.  And incidentally, the new belt was a mere $42.54 delivered from BELTDRIVE in Palmerston North...a very knowledgeable vendor!
Current Classic Fleet:
'85 Type 85 Coupe Quattro
'64 Porsche 356
'86 Porsche Carrera cabriolet
'97 Peugeot 306 cabriolet

slowburn

the next one my coupe needs changed i'll give it a go.... 8)
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

I bought a 500Nm torque wrench for that bolt.

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

slowburn

would a 2 meter long breaker bar do it
  >:D
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

Haha yes. As long as you have the crank locked. You can borrow my torque wrench do do it back up to 450Nm if you like.

Or just give it 7 ugga duggas.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

Bruis

Luckily I already have the big torque wrench..bought to do up the flywheel nut on my 356 Porsche!   But locking the engine was the difficult part without the proper tool. And that nut was EXTREMELY TIGHT! However perseverance paid.
Current Classic Fleet:
'85 Type 85 Coupe Quattro
'64 Porsche 356
'86 Porsche Carrera cabriolet
'97 Peugeot 306 cabriolet

90_B2 Quattro

Quote from: Bruis on March 26, 2022, 12:25:15 PMJust completed this job on my Coupe Quattro at home....would not like to pay hourly rate for the time it took me, but I had a non-runner donor car to practice on and very glad I was able to do this.  Being a fore and aft engine, it is very accessible, and sohc is certainly simpler than two. I wont go into detail...anyone wanting to do this is welcome to contact me for hints and tips, but suffice it to say that the removing the crank pulley bolt proved VERY CHALLENGING!!! The other tricky area is watching that the cam pulley keyway does not get dislodged when refitting the pulley. It would be all to easy to finish the job and find that the camshaft was not turning when you first tried to start the motor!!! Beleive me, this has happened, but not to me, I hasten to add. After several attempts, I decided to glue the keyway in with superglue, and that did the trick.  And incidentally, the new belt was a mere $42.54 delivered from BELTDRIVE in Palmerston North...a very knowledgeable vendor!

How did you lock the crank pulley/ where did you get the locking tool (audi tool 2084?).