RSQ3 buying advice

Started by riroriro1, March 30, 2022, 03:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riroriro1

Hi all,

First time poster, be gentle.

Am a general fan of VAG but for the first time have an eye on an Audi. It's a 2014 RSQ3 done just a shade over 110kms.

I've heard there are issues with the 7DSG, is that something that should make me nervous?

Any advice?

Riro.

GLIDN

Hi Riro,

the DQ500 gearbox in the RSQ3 is one of the stoutest DSG gearboxes available on the market. As far as reliability is concerned, they certainly don't have many if any issues.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

riroriro1

That's good to know. I've previously had a tricky time with the 7DSG in a Skoda Fabia vRS.

Are there any key bits of maintenance or faults I should be particularly alive to?

le mans

No specific help here but given the general prevalence of potential nightmare maintenance scenarios a mechanical warranty would give you some peace of mind.

riroriro1

Well. ConsumerNZ would disagree with you. However, it actually comes with the balance of an Autosure policy. So some cover.

le mans

That?s good :). The thing about a warranty is it gives you a ?fixed cost? rather than rolling the dice. You are covered by consumer legislation if buying from a dealer but that?s not much help if something goes wrong 6 months after buying it. Not that I?ve done so for about 14 years but I would want a warranty when buying a relatively modern car at least to cover the first 12 months until I know whether I?ve got a lemon or not. None of by cars have warranties now but my RS4 did in my first year of ownership and my A4 avant was under factory warranty when I bought it.

riroriro1

Yeah sorry what I meant was that ConsumerNZ have been pretty vocal about Autosure warranties being worth less than the paper they're printed on. Average payout is way under cost of policy. But I'm getting this chucked in, so it can't hurt.

le mans

Ok cool, enjoy the new whip!

albert7550

I only had two "minor" issues with my 2014 S3 in 3 years (still under 60,000km) while covered by Provident mechanical insurance:
1) LED headlight self leveling failed. $6.5k for new unit.
2) Thermostat remained open and caused engine light $2+k
Shudder to think what something serious could have cost...
I think I negotiated the policy to be included in the purchase price by Giltrap Audi, but even paying $1-$2k for cover is a no brainer.
2014 Audi S3
1992 VW Golf mk1 GTi Cabriolet
1970 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3S

GLIDN

Quote from: riroriro1 on March 30, 2022, 04:28:17 PM
That's good to know. I've previously had a tricky time with the 7DSG in a Skoda Fabia vRS.

Are there any key bits of maintenance or faults I should be particularly alive to?

Fabia has DQ200 dry clutch gearbox, which can be extremely problematic. Any cars with DQ200 can and usually are.

the RS3 is the 7spd DQ500 wet clutch gearbox.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning