Importing from the UK

Started by vagmatt, May 05, 2022, 05:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vagmatt

Hi there Vaskers.
Any recommendations for importing second hand vehicles from he UK? Just doing a bit of research and thought I'd ask here first re companies who provide the best point to point service.
Thanks.

Brett

Recent model or classic? If classic be very careful as compliance centres may ping it for corrosion/fresh underseal and require a repair cert. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

vagmatt

Hi Brett. Looking at a few models from from '04 and '16 and just comparing ats.

Though I should ask, if its a private sale, does anyone recommend a third party service, to collect from the vendor and ship to NZ?

Mike1410

We brought some of our cars with us from the UK when we moved here back in 2008. We used a company called PSS International Removals, who deal with NZ Van Lines at this end. They were very good. The LTNZ website has lots of information about the actual process of importing into and and registering a vehicle in NZ. It's not a cheap process (buying the car is the easy part, you need to consider the shipping costs and import duties and the cost of compliance & registration). There are a lot of hoops to jump through, depending upon what the actual vehicle is, how long you have owned it, how old it is and what it's emissions and safety features are. Realistically if you're looking at anything more than @12 months old coming from the UK, you're going to be looking at needing an engineers report and most likely some work (rust treatment at least) to get it through compliance. Even though the UK MOT test is far stricter than an NZ WOF, and ours went into the shipping containers with brand new MOTs, there was still work to do at this end!  TBH, I wouldn't bother doing it again, and unless the car you're interested in is especially rare or valuable it wouldn't be cost effective.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: vagmatt on May 06, 2022, 11:13:50 AM

Though I should ask, if its a private sale, does anyone recommend a third party service, to collect from the vendor and ship to NZ?

What car are you looking to bring in?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

RS ZWEI

Quote from: vagmatt on May 06, 2022, 11:13:50 AM

I wouldnt touch a UK car thats that old. Rust, rust and more rust. Look to SA for a rust free example.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8