First

Started by coons, May 30, 2022, 08:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coons

Well someone's got to be first in the Mk8 section.

Things that annoy me on my Mk8;
- There is no sunglass holder on the roof - why...
- The mini gear lever is nifty, but flicking into Sport without looking it can easily be mistaken for the electronic hand brake right next to it. Have pulled that several times when going to overtake on the highway...
- The infotainment is glitchy, buggy, and laggy. Have had it in multiple times now for glitches. Currently waiting on VW Germany to rewrite the RHD version of software to fix some bugs...

Otherwise, pretty good car.

Trofeo

Quote from: coons on May 30, 2022, 08:09:26 PM

because they break, and then vw charge $400+ for a new one, causing anger and disbelief..
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

the phantom

plus I had an irritating buzz in my Mk5 and realised it was the sunglasses in the cubby
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

slowmo

The SW will be an interesting one. Does VW do over the air updates or will this require dealer visits to fix?
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

coons

Quote from: Trofeo on May 31, 2022, 06:49:38 PM
because they break, and then vw charge $400+ for a new one, causing anger and disbelief..

I've never had one fail in any past VW's.

I'd rather have that break than have my glasses break or scratch.

nordschleife

- The mini gear lever is nifty, but flicking into Sport without looking it can easily be mistaken for the electronic hand brake right next to it. Have pulled that several times when going to overtake on the highway...
- The infotainment is glitchy, buggy, and laggy. Have had it in multiple times now for glitches. Currently waiting on VW Germany to rewrite the RHD version of software to fix some bugs...

Infotainment issue seems to be common.  I don't get the obsession with removing buttons and making everything touch/haptic - seems to make things less intuitive.
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
BMW ///M5 - Previous Car and looking for another - F10 LCI
Octavia vRS Combi - Wife's Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

Skilfil

Quote from: coons on June 01, 2022, 02:01:16 PM

My Mk6 R one used to pop down when it was hot in summer, so annoying, you'd be driving along then hear a "pop" and it would just drop into view. Couldn't get it closed until the day cooled down again.
1997 Mazda MX5 (B2 Limited Edition)
1990 Volkswagen Jetta Mk2 ABF
2006 Lexus GS430

McDoof

Quote from: coons on June 01, 2022, 02:01:16 PM

One of the hinges broke off in my MK7. Seems the only way to replace it is to replace the whole top plastic bit.... So now I just have a hole where the holder used to be. I could claim it on Autosure, but still $350...
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Pristle

Quote from: Skilfil on July 15, 2022, 08:35:00 AM
My Mk6 R one used to pop down when it was hot in summer, so annoying, you'd be driving along then hear a "pop" and it would just drop into view. Couldn't get it closed until the day cooled down again.

This happened on my Mk5. Fixed it with neodynium magnets.

sach21

Do you still have the MK8 if so how is your experience been thus far besides the initial issues / annoyance? Looking at upgrading to the 8 though I wonder if its best to wait for a bit longer for VW to iron out any teething issues. Did you buy it as a demo or brand new?

coons

It depends what you're after. If you just want a nice modern new vehicle, it's a nice car. Mine's a company car, is a base model, and is a good upgrade to the Mk7.

However our other car is a 7R, which I love. I think a 7.5 is the ultimate. You get the larger entertainment and digital dash, with the combo of still having practical tactical AC buttons and knobs.