B8.5 vs B9

Started by liv, August 28, 2022, 10:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liv

Been looking at an S4/S5 for a while now and a few decent options have come up. Really torn between the B8.5 vs B9 options though, and hoping someone can shed some experienced light on the right choice to make.

Firstly - would love for budget not to be an issue so I could just get a 22 S4 and be done with it, alas, I really don?t want to go over mid 40?s. This leaves me 2 options:

B9 S4 - higher mileage (>100k), although really nice tech. Interior makes you feel like you want to spend time in it, and driving the wife?s MB for the pst year, I?ve actually grown to like some of the driver assistant features etc. turbo motor which seems tuneable if I ever got bored with the power, and the ZF 8 speed box seems like it?s got good reviews.

B8.5 S4 - lower mileage options available (~50k), at 10-15k less in price! Always loved the Supercharged V6, and Issue free DSG is always a nice drive. These come with Bluetooth streaming for audio etc - but still I feel like I?m driving my old b8 3.2Q. The drive on these are still phenomenal and love the sound of them once an Aftermarket intake is chucked on!

Really struggling to make a choice between a more modern, higher mileage option vs a 14yo design interior with some okay creature comforts and an amazing drivetrain, coming in at a lower price point.

Which gen S4/5 would you get if you had the same choices?
2016 Audi S4 (B9)
2019 Mercedes Benz B180 AMG (W247)

le mans

As a driver of old tech cars, I'm not going to be much help, but sounds like you want something newer than the B8. If you ask this question on the Audi RS & S FB group you'll probably get lots of replies.

slowmo

Mid 40s would surely get you in a B8 RS4 hehe

But it wouldn?t have most of the modern tech that the B9 would have
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

vaudiw

If you don't need back seats then the RS5 is great buying. <$40k for non-facelift

Alittletuningco

Had a very high powered S4 B8, stupidly modified, ran low 11?s on pump.

Swapped to a B9 6 weeks ago, haven?t looked back - it schools the B8 in every way. Especially the ZF8 trans

liv

Thanks for the feedback guys - bit the bullet on the B9, and definitely not looking back.  Higher mileage, but got the Audi Factory Warranty extension as opposed to an Autosure warranty on the B8.5 - which I received some mad quotes on!!! 

Standard features were much more than I anticipated (Nappa Leather Electric sports seats with Heating and Massage Function, Surround View, ACC, HUD, Google Nav, VC, DCC, Keyless Entry).  Options that were checked on build was V-Spoke 19" Alloy's, B&O and Matrix LED Headlights with the High-Beam assist which worked beautifully on the trip back to Wellington on Friday night.  As much as the B8.5 would have made really good power with a Pulley, Intake, Software and Exhaust, the B9 is just miles apart in the tech arena and I've enjoyed my time in the cockpit on the weekend.  034 Motorsport tune seems to be getting some good results with folk in the US so will look into that at some point once I've grown tired of the standard 260kW.  The 8-speed ZF box is much smoother than I expected it to be, especially in Dynamic mode.

My only issue so far is the Traffic Sign Recognition (or lack thereof) in the HUD and Virtual Cockpit which i've gotten used to while driving the wife's B-Class, especially on less familiar roads.  Small price to pay, considering everything else it has, and final price being 5k more than the lower mileage B8.5 option after adding in the warranty.
2016 Audi S4 (B9)

liv

Quote from: slowmo on August 31, 2022, 09:43:36 AM
Mid 40s would surely get you in a B8 RS4 hehe

But it wouldn?t have most of the modern tech that the B9 would have

I did look at those, lol - but didn't find anything in the right price range.  RS would definitely have trumped all the modern tech of the B9, and given the prices on the B7's - I assume would just grow in value over time.
2016 Audi S4 (B9)

Alittletuningco

Quote from: liv on September 05, 2022, 11:58:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys - bit the bullet on the B9, and definitely not looking back.  Higher mileage, but got the Audi Factory Warranty extension as opposed to an Autosure warranty on the B8.5 - which I received some mad quotes on!!! 

Standard features were much more than I anticipated (Nappa Leather Electric sports seats with Heating and Massage Function, Surround View, ACC, HUD, Google Nav, VC, DCC, Keyless Entry).  Options that were checked on build was V-Spoke 19" Alloy's, B&O and Matrix LED Headlights with the High-Beam assist which worked beautifully on the trip back to Wellington on Friday night.  As much as the B8.5 would have made really good power with a Pulley, Intake, Software and Exhaust, the B9 is just miles apart in the tech arena and I've enjoyed my time in the cockpit on the weekend.  034 Motorsport tune seems to be getting some good results with folk in the US so will look into that at some point once I've grown tired of the standard 260kW.  The 8-speed ZF box is much smoother than I expected it to be, especially in Dynamic mode.

My only issue so far is the Traffic Sign Recognition (or lack thereof) in the HUD and Virtual Cockpit which i've gotten used to while driving the wife's B-Class, especially on less familiar roads.  Small price to pay, considering everything else it has, and final price being 5k more than the lower mileage B8.5 option after adding in the warranty.

Running 034 software on mine at the moment (034 dealer for NZ) can say the ECU and TCU stage2 tune make the car so much more fun to drive.

slowmo

Congrats! Hard to get past mod-cons once you get used to them, specially on less special cars.

Time for a Welly meet so we can see your new toy!
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

liv

Quote from: Alittletuningco on September 05, 2022, 01:07:05 PM
Running 034 software on mine at the moment (034 dealer for NZ) can say the ECU and TCU stage2 tune make the car so much more fun to drive.

Did you need any supporting mods as pre requisite for Stage 2?
2016 Audi S4 (B9)

liv

Quote from: slowmo on September 05, 2022, 02:44:54 PM
Congrats! Hard to get past mod-cons once you get used to them, specially on less special cars.

Time for a Welly meet so we can see your new toy!

Thanks slowmo, and definitely keen on a Welly meet!  Keep missing the forum posts when there's a meet locally - just happy to finally have a VAG car again so don't feel like the odd one out lol.
2016 Audi S4 (B9)

Alittletuningco

Quote from: liv on September 05, 2022, 03:29:04 PM
Did you need any supporting mods as pre requisite for Stage 2?

Stage2 requires a downpipe. It is heavily recommended to upgrade the intercooler even at stage1, as the ability to run back to back pulls is basically impossible on the stock unit.

I?m currently running stage1 ECU (which comes with a stage1 TCU file), but stage2 TCU files really wakes the ZF8 up, this is the one that changes all the shifting, adds Amax shifting etc. Stage1 TCU only modifies the torque acceptance settings to deal with the ECU upgrade