Importing a VW Citi

Started by VenatusJaime, September 10, 2022, 12:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VenatusJaime

Hi all,

I'm currently playing with the idea of importing a VW Citi from South Africa. My biggest concern is not being able to pass compliance standards in NZ.  :-\

Has anyone imported their own Citi/MK1 Golf to NZ that can shed some light?
'09 Kia Koup
'22 Suzuki SV650
Dreaming of a VW Citi

Alfashark

It would need to be at least 20(?)+ years old to meet the rules.
'14 Octavia RS TDI
'06 Fabia VRS
'93 CitiGolf 1.6

Mole

I have a 1992 Citi golf CTi model that I may be selling in the near future if it is of interest to you
Golf Citi - CTi
Caddy Maxi

VenatusJaime

Thanks Alfashark, I've reached out to some import/export companies to get a better idea as well.

Mole - I was looking for a model from 2000 onwards but I might be interested depending on difficulties with importing.
The CTi was the 1.8L fuel injection model right? Did you have any pics?
'09 Kia Koup
'22 Suzuki SV650
Dreaming of a VW Citi

Mole

I am struggling to attach photos, it keep saying my file format is wrong but it?s a jpeg and according to the message I am getting jpeg should work. If you want photos message me your email and I will send some
Golf Citi - CTi
Caddy Maxi

VenatusJaime

Good news (to those interested)
After floating through NZTA's website I have found some information of interest:

"The most important standards for these class MA vehicles are the frontal impact standard and the exhaust emissions standard.

In certain circumstances class MA vehicles must also be fitted with electronic stability control...
... a used motor vehicle of class MA with engine capacity greater than 2 litres that is inspected at the border from 1 March 2018 must have ESC fitted.

To register your vehicle you must be able to prove it was manufactured to meet frontal impact and exhaust emissions standards and ESC requirements where appropriate unless:
? it is over 20 years old

? it is a special interest vehicle
? you're bringing it with you when emigrating or returning to live in New Zealand."

NZTA recommends consulting an Entry Certifier so I've reached out to VTNZ and VINZ but haven't had a response.
I know there are a few VW Citi floating around NZ (Mole has a beautiful red one) but these were typically imported during the 1990s before there were changes to import restrictions.

Nevertheless I'm still extremely hopeful with the information I've found so far.
'09 Kia Koup
'22 Suzuki SV650
Dreaming of a VW Citi