Mk7 Infotainment system - No Sound

Started by Arr32, September 18, 2022, 12:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arr32

Hi all

My work colleague has a 2014 MK7 Golf R (Jap import) and no longer has sound from the head unit. SatNav and camera are all good, proximity sensor ok and the head unit seems to work fine.

No related faults stored, and Gazley checked the 5F unit, wire connector and CANBUS signals...again all in range and nothing to report.

They said 12.4k to replace 5F module - Seems crazy. Thoughts and options - appreciate any help.
2006 MY07 NZ Black Magic .:R32 - (Manual)
2013 MY13 NZ Candy White Tiguan R-line - (DSG) - (Sold)
2019 MY20 NZ White Tiguan R-Line with Black pack

nordschleife

Do you have any detail of the lead up to it failing?  We?re there any issues or did it got from perfect to no audio?
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
BMW ///M5 - Previous Car and looking for another - F10 LCI
Octavia vRS Combi - Wife's Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

Arr32

Quote from: nordschleife on September 18, 2022, 07:43:02 PM
Do you have any detail of the lead up to it failing?  We?re there any issues or did it got from perfect to no audio?
Pretty sure it was perfect prior...but will confirm lead up - thanks

Alittletuningco

Japanese imports on MIB1 were known to give issues with the firmware freezing etc - get it converted and updated, and it'll be fine.

$12.4k is bonkers for a unit you can grab for less than $1k in the UK if required and have it linked to the car

Arr32

Quote from: Alittletuningco on September 19, 2022, 10:19:17 AM
Japanese imports on MIB1 were known to give issues with the firmware freezing etc - get it converted and updated, and it'll be fine.

$12.4k is bonkers for a unit you can grab for less than $1k in the UK if required and have it linked to the car

Thanks mate - The infotainment is in English...so not sure if that means its converted. Do you have instructions how/who can convert and update it? (Welly based) ideally.

Alittletuningco

Quote from: Arr32 on September 19, 2022, 10:59:42 AM
Thanks mate - The infotainment is in English...so not sure if that means its converted. Do you have instructions how/who can convert and update it? (Welly based) ideally.

So Japanese units come in japanese or English as the language packs - its more the version of the MIB you need to check, not really something that can be fixed at home (unless you have some pretty specific tools) - I think Sutherland Performance do conversions on these if you are Welly based.

Give Ling from My Audio a call. He's across the road from Sutherland Performance. He fitted my reverse camera, he should be able to help.

I think he quoted me $1300 for a MIB2 unit installed.

nikhilg12

Its the sound module that has failed. Happened to me just a month ago and I got it fixed under my mechanical warranty luckily. Cost for this was $1200 to replace the module, i only paid my excess of $300. This is a common issue apparently with all MK7 infotainments as I was told by the guys who fixed it. Mine is a Jap import too.
2013 MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI