wheel offset track day

Started by qta4, October 17, 2006, 08:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qta4

Factory spec mk1 gti offset is i think about 38mm at about .5 degree negative camber front.
If one was to increase negative camber , to say 2 degrees negative, would that have an effect on ideal offset.
Theoretically one moves tyre patch outward,away from steering axis,logically that suggests a change in the ideal offset , to keep the steering axis,(centre of tyre patch) the same.

I noticed during Bathurst broadcast recently, cars use 6 degrees negative... huge.

Setup  obvoiously becomes very delicate, team kiwi struggled to get all to work.

My theory suggests an increase in offset, ie more than 38mm.
doubt if that is possible as tyre would rub on strut.... any thoughts
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

Bullseye

With my Teg I run 2 degrees negative with no offset issues.

In my experience the only issues comes with the rest of the steering geometry being affected if you lower the car too much and go below the ideal horizontal for your steering etc (can slow you down and it did in my case).

Thats all from my experiences to date - we may go more aggressive this season so will let you know.

B8 A4 Avant - soon to be eating Chips

Neil_Corrado

The idea is by changing the camber, the contact patch becomes bigger when the vehicle is cornering, it has no direct relation to the offset. By changing the offset you are only moving the wheel in or out in relation to the hub, the camber wont change.
With a 2 degree negative camber in mind I doubt that you would need to change the offset to clear the strut as its only minimal.

hitmanGTI

Correct.. When you Change the Camber the Shock Angle Changes.. ie no worries about running in to issues there! you may run in to guard running issues with camber adjustment.. however thats usually less likely as using negative camber allows the top of the wheel

the only thing you may need when you lower it to keep the Suspention geometry in optimal range is Lowerd Spindles

The Wheels should never crap the strut when camber is adjusted as the Strut should always sit perpendicular..

ie when you adjust the camber you move the Ball joint out wards and then you could you use a K-MAC setup to pull the camber out even more by pulling the strut on more of a negative angle by moving the top of the shock stuct more inwards towards the engine bay..

dubstar

Quote from: Anton on October 18, 2006, 09:40:12 AM
ie when you adjust the camber you move the Ball joint out wards and then you could you use a K-MAC setup to pull the camber out even more by pulling the strut on more of a negative angle by moving the top of the shock stuct more inwards towards the engine bay..

Maybe on your boat but on the most golfs camber is adjusted at the stut/hub carrier intersection.

I would think that changing the offset of the wheels would affect the 'ideal' camber settings, but changing the camber wouldn't affect the 'ideal' offset.  Might have to draw myself a picture to figure it out for sure.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

hitmanGTI

i know that the Camber is adjusted there on most golfs!!!!

K-MAC strut top mounting systems allow for more camber adjustment by altering the positing of the Stru moving it around!! from the top!!

the Offset shouldt affect contact with the Strut at all!!!

if you dont believe me

take out your control arm

leave the shock attached to the spindle

remove the Shock from its Mounting in the engine bay now carry the whole assembly and now move the shock around while leaving the Controll arm fixed.. watch how the Hubfollows where ever you move the Shock Strut it will always stay in a postion relative to how the Strut is seated..

move the Top of the Strut back wards and forwards you adjust the Castor
move the top of the Strut left and right and you are adjusting the Camber.. (thats how the KMAC operates)

twist the strut left or right and you adjust the Tow.. on a FWD car racing tow out minum 1 Degree (.5 degree either side)

dubstar

Quote from: Anton on October 18, 2006, 11:09:37 AM
i know that the Camber is adjusted there on most golfs!!!!

K-MAC strut top mounting systems allow for more camber adjustment by altering the positing of the Stru moving it around!! from the top!!

the Offset shouldt affect contact with the Strut at all!!!

if you dont believe me

take out your control arm

leave the shock attached to the spindle

remove the Shock from its Mounting in the engine bay now carry the whole assembly and now move the shock around while leaving the Controll arm fixed.. watch how the Hubfollows where ever you move the Shock Strut it will always stay in a postion relative to how the Strut is seated..

move the Top of the Strut back wards and forwards you adjust the Castor
move the top of the Strut left and right and you are adjusting the Camber.. (thats how the KMAC operates)

twist the strut left or right and you adjust the Tow.. on a FWD car racing tow out minum 1 Degree (.5 degree either side)

You need to read the original question.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

hitmanGTI

yea i have..

The tyre wont rub on the Strut..weather its 15 degree negative camber or if its 0 deg camber..

unless it has so much pressure that it baloons and expands the side wall it wont come in contact

hitmanGTI

of course naturally things will become more delicate.. you will become more suseptible to rim damage thru smaller contact area that the car can exhert the presure of its own weight

you will be able to run 2Deg Neg Camber.. however being a FWD you reduce the tyre contact area on the front wheels you reduce your potential neutral position traction too!!...

remember your front wheels need traction to get you any where in the first place.. my Friend on his Race integra is running around 5 deg negative camber.. it goes thru corners somthing amazing.. however getting off the line is a differnt story.. he lacks traction in a straight line this is runing DOT tyres everything

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Anton on October 18, 2006, 09:40:12 AM
Correct.. When you Change the Camber the Shock Angle Changes.. ie no worries about running in to issues there! you may run in to guard running issues with camber adjustment.. however thats usually less likely as using negative camber allows the top of the wheel

the only thing you may need when you lower it to keep the Suspention geometry in optimal range is Lowerd Spindles

The Wheels should never s**t the strut when camber is adjusted as the Strut should always sit perpendicular..

This is not the case with a Mk1 GTI, we have had camber issues on Dads race car, ie, the tyre rubbing on the coilovers.

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

hitmanGTI

Ah coil overs are a different bucket of chips!!

they generally have Fatter Shock Bodys and then have the Springs Coiled round in turn making themmuch closer to the rubber

where as in most Shock and dampers

the shock is a bit skinner

and the plate that the spring sits in usually floats a bit higher than the top of the wheel!

Bullseye

Quote from: Anton on October 18, 2006, 01:49:52 PM
.. my Friend on his Race integra is running around 5 deg negative camber.. it goes thru corners somthing amazing.. however getting off the line is a differnt story.. he lacks traction in a straight line this is runing DOT tyres everything

WOW thats huge - must be focused on rolling starts

qta4

i have Koni coilover shocks on my mk1 golf.(same as factory re camber)
Camber adjustment is achieved by rotating an offset top bolt at lower strut.
This adjustment allows bearing carrier assy to rotate to achieve camber,negative camber moves top of tyre closer to strut.
I run 7"x15 rims and 195x55x15 tyres.
At very little negative camber, top of tyre rubs on strut,,,,, strut diameter similar to original.

When max negative camber is achieved, top of tyre moves toward strut, therefore tyre patch moves out.
Factory spec, axis is top of strut through bottom arm ball joint, pivot should coincide with centre of tyre patch.

This is the way Macpherson strut stuff alignment is designed,
therefore factory offset is no longer ideal

I think i have answered my own question

The only way to adjust camber on mk1 golf is to move top of strut inward, as in camber plate

sorry silly question

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Bullseye on October 18, 2006, 03:36:50 PM
WOW thats huge - must be focused on rolling starts

well thats what i was told..  unless he ment 2.5 degrees a side and 5 egrees total..

i just remember in a drag between his integra and my golf the launch was no contest couldnt help but wheel spin

hitmanGTI

Quote from: qta4 on October 18, 2006, 11:09:17 PM

The only way to adjust camber on mk1 golf is to move top of strut inward, as in camber plate

isnt that wat i was saying mate if you move the to of the strut the spindle should pivot over the ball joint and everything should remain in relative distances apart from eachother

Bullseye

Quote from: Anton on October 18, 2006, 11:16:06 PM
well thats what i was told..  unless he meant 2.5 degrees a side and 5 degrees total..

You are probably correct with the 5degrees that car has had some pretty special development and has been set up really aggressively. If it was me learning, I would back it off a little to try and focus on getting the power down.

Looking forward to seeing him out at Puke  :)

qta4

As a matter of interest i have just aligned front of my car.
Max neg camber 1.6deg before tyre rubs strut.
Anymore neg req camber plate.
Interesting TOYO suggest min 3deg camber for FWD cars wit R888 tyres.
Looks like camber plate on shopping list

Andrei

Does anyone know if I can get my rear wheels on my vr6 to sit like this //--\\ in other words get a negative camber on them? do I need to do something else apart from taking it to a wheel alignament place?

Period_Correct_

Quote from: Andrei on November 12, 2006, 09:49:45 PM
Does anyone know if I can get my rear wheels on my vr6 to sit like this //--\\ in other words get a negative camber on them? do I need to do something else apart from taking it to a wheel alignament place?

invest in a BMW  ;D
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

Neil_Corrado

Quote from: Andrei on November 12, 2006, 09:49:45 PM

Why do you want them to be like that? It wont help with handling as the rears on a Golf don't do alot.