6N2 Polo GTI

Started by liv, January 06, 2023, 09:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liv

So? picked up a summer project a few weeks ago, and from some of the resto threads I?ve been following here has given me some motivation to get going on another one after many years.

Picked up a NZ New, 2001 6n2 Polo GTI which has seen better days. Was once Flash Red, but clear has faded off quite badly so that needs to be seen to at some point. Wheels need a full refurb at some point (3 piece BBS). 170k km with a whole lot of documented history, so seems like something work saving. Being manual, was keen to get into something I can restore with my tween son, so he can learn to drive the correct way lol.

Failed its last WoF and Rego is on hold while I get her roadworthy again. Have been busy sourcing parts, and plans are as follows:

1. Replace front rotors and pads
2. Brake fluid flush
3. New front tyres
4. Repair high level brake light
5. Oil service, with all filters
6. Polish headlights and fix front fog lights
7. Check exhaust bracket (which rattles intermittently)
8. Replace mirror adjustment switch
9. New wipers
10. Check suspension bushes and do alignment

That should get it through WoF and then I?ll be happy to start looking at the rest of my long list of getting it back to its former glory!

Will post pics and progress updates soon!
2016 Audi S4 (B9)
2019 Mercedes Benz B180 AMG (W247)

the phantom

Polo GTIs have a known gearbox issue with a plastic bush, does your history say how many gearbox rebuilds it has had?
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

LouieP

Nice one! These are getting rare now so its well worth saving. Looking forward to the pics
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

superfueler

Way to go Liv,

Save the manual.  :D
Current: 2010 Audi A4 2.7 TDI silver, 2007 Audi A4 2.0T DTM sprint blue, 2007 VW Golf V 2.0 TDI BKD 4motion manual white.
Past: 2004 Golf R32 black pearlescent, 2009 Audi S3 white, 2004 Audi A4 B6 1.8T blue, 99 Golf mk4 GTI black, 2005 Audi A4 B7 2.0T black.

the phantom

Quote from: the phantom on January 06, 2023, 09:27:12 PM
Polo GTIs have a known gearbox issue with a plastic bush, does your history say how many gearbox rebuilds it has had?

possibly a good gearbox shop could make up a bronze bush to suit

liv

I?ve read about the plastic bush on a number of forums. Can?t see any record of a rebuild, but the history is not 100% complete so could have been done at some point. For now it doesn?t seem to be a problem 🤞 I?ve read that regular oil changes help with prolonging the plastic bush, so will start there for now as part of my initial maintenance, and then look at a longer term solution.

Clutch was replaced a few years ago(and hasn?t been driven much since), but felt a bit of a shudder on take off when I picked the car up, so I suppose at some point the box needs to come off and have clutch/flywheel/seals/box/linkages all seen to at the same time.
2016 Audi S4 (B9)

liv

So, decided to make a start on her yesterday.

First up was checking rear brakes, and flushing the brake fluid. Pads still look newish, and rotors are still decent. Will clean them up today and check slider pins etc then refit. Plan is to also clean the wheel well, and dress it where I can in prep for its WoF inspection. Fluid was filthy, and hopefully will stop properly once complete.

Next up was lighting, with a few issues to sort out:

1.High level brake light - checked wiring, and was getting power to the light, which meant it was the unit itself that was at fault. Is a sealed unit and online searches couldn?t locate anything available new. So opened up the unit, and found the circuit corroded and shorted. Opted for a 300mm 12v LED strip from Repco, and had to slightly modify the housing for wiring to run through safely. Fitted perfectly in the housing and gave it a layer of jb weld to put the housing back together again. Will lightly sand and trim paint it once dry before reinstalling, but happy it?s working again!

2. Next was to resolve this:

Started by removing the front bumper and pulling the headlights so it?s easier to clean on a table. One of my fog lights are also fogged, so depending on whether I can find a replacement, I might give it a crack as well depending on how well the polishing on the headlight goes.

Once the rear brakes and lighting is seen to, will move onto the other WoF prep (front brakes etc.)

*Images don?t seem to be loading in the post - will figure out why it?s not embedding.
2016 Audi S4 (B9)

the phantom

photos are best saved to a site like imgur, then hit the photo button and insert image location address