Shut lines

Started by Pristle, March 01, 2023, 07:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pristle

Got the car back from the repairers for the second time yesterday. It's going back to them next week.

Following the sign saga in my Jan 13 thread (https://bit.ly/3Zv5ZyZ) and a brief bun fight with assessors and repairers about what constituted damage attributable to the incident, the car was booked in. It was agreed that front left wing and headlight to be replaced, bonnet to be repaired, bumper to be repaired, left wing to be straightened and repainted.

First revisit was for poor bonnet alignment and shoddy paint finish.

Immediately apparent in the light of day after picking the car up are the bonnet to wing shut lines, they're about 4.5mm at the front and about 2mm near the windscreen. Look further and bonnet is not flush with wings anywhere. Which may suggest that bonnet was bent, not just dented in the first instance. Also, wings and headlights are no longer flush.
Bumper damaged had been repaired, but there's new paint damage that wasn't there before. And the inset chrome moulding on the left sits loosely adrift, perhaps a broken clip. Whereas the right side sits proud, but not loose.

I allowed myself to be steered toward Repairhub by the insurer. Mainly because at the time, no other repairer seemed to be open. But here we are 2 months down the track and it looks like I should've just waited.

Back to thread subject, what should the shut lines be on the Mk5s?

80 Vert

Panel fit and gaps are very very good on vws in general but more so on mk5 onwards. Gaps are dead even from front to back.
This is a continual bugbear for me with NZ repairers and primary reason I insist on using people that know what I expect.
Most repairers especially insurance ones are just not capable of doing the job correctly.
Go back, argue and insist it be done right. Frustrating but that what they count on, you giving up and living with it.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

80 Vert

A friend of mine had a near new Hyundai that his daughter crashed, new drivers door and guard needed. Repaired by insurance but my friend complained about wind noise and it went back to the shop, still no good. He had Hyundai NZ involved, went to them twice and back to the body shop a further 2 times. Still not right.
One day he was complaining to me about it and I said come and see me with it, within 5 mins I'd written down 7 obvious things wrong with it comparing them to the left side. The primary one being the front 1/4 glass sitting proud of the door causing the wind noise.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Pristle

Cheers John.

Car went back today. Highlighted issues with the shop manager this time. Bright pink marker all around the areas of concern.

He actually asked his 2IC why the bonnet wasn't replaced as he can see it's not straight. Reply was 'assessors'. They're the real bugs in the ointment.

Will be in the market for a new front right headlight now. They replaced the left unit. Which has affected alignment/level, the right has both an outer lens cover and inner lens that are hazy. Distinctly more yellow hue.