Audi S3 vs Golf 2.8 4 Motion vs WRX Wagon

Started by 106_racecar, October 20, 2006, 12:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

106_racecar

I have been reading the topic on "S3 vs Golf R32" with interest and have been considering either a S3, Golf 2.8 4 Motion or WRX Wagon.  I personally prefer the look of the Audi and my current daily driver is an Audi A6 front wheel drive - the Subaru is included as its half the price!  My main requirements are AWD and manual with the intention to take it up the ski field next season rather than hitch a lift in a mates Subaru.  I have also considered the newer A4 1.8QT and older S4, which might overall be a better choice if I take the kids up when they get older !  What are your thoughts ?

2007 Golf GTI

Period_Correct_

why not an EVO if you're thinking of a WRX ?
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

rambo_005

If you're considering Jappas then how about a 99+ Legacy GT-B, they are excellent cars for the $ and look way better than WRXs. ;D

timmay

There's a V6 4Mo Golf on TradeMe at the moment. And its a good price too

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Volkswagen/auction-74334195.htm

That would be my personally preference...without trying to be biased  :laugh:

I think the Golf has the better interior out of the 3, and you can't beat the sound or the feel of a smooth 6 cylinder engine over a turbo car. Golf is also a 5 dr hatch over the 3dr S3
2001 Porsche Boxster S: Meridian Silver| De-Ambered | De-Snorkled Intake
2003 VW Golf R32 | 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i | 2007 BMW 130i SE MSport | 1999 Honda S2000 | 2003 Mazda RX8 Type-S | 2000 VW Golf GTi | 1998 Mazda MX5 RS

Period_Correct_

1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

hitmanGTI

Quattro is a Far better AWD System than haldex

Quattro (Mechanical)
Haldex (Electronically Controlled)

If your looking for a AWD car for Mountain

You would be better off Buying a A4 S4 (these have Quattro)

S3's V6 4 Motions have a crappy electronic controller for haldex in comparison with the Haldex controller in the R32s

Subarus have a Reasonable 4WD system

but subaru and parts are worse than Audis and Parts

Turbo

go the S4. i am also biased, but that's what i'd do.
depends on how much money you want to spend.
legacys are cheaper and a lot of car for that money (rsk b4's are pretty nice and decent $)
or even a gtr skyline has a good awd system, but you get tarred with the boy racer brush pretty quickly)
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

Bullseye

Latest model diesel (chipped) hilux, and a sports car or a race car  ;D
B8 A4 Avant - soon to be eating Chips

106_racecar

Thanks for the responses.  I think the Legacy GTB would be better proposition than the WRX, unfortunately I had a RSB facelift many years ago and was pretty unimpressed with the hole in responsiveness between the twin turbos.   That said, I have heard that the 99+ Legacy GTB Twin Turbo performs much better and is fairly cheap to purchase.

I quite like the S4, but I have heard that they are really expensive to maintain - even more than the 4.2 V8 ?  Also, there appears to be more interior space in the newer A4 over the old S4, although the S4 is a bit more special that the standard A4 Turbo.  I presume that that performance of the GTB is similar to the S4?
2007 Golf GTI

qta4

buy a S4 b5 you will fall in love again , then chip it
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

gti vr6

Quote from: timmay on October 20, 2006, 07:59:03 AM
There's a V6 4Mo Golf on TradeMe at the moment. And its a good price too

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Volkswagen/auction-74334195.htm

That would be my personally preference...without trying to be biased  :laugh:

I think the Golf has the better interior out of the 3, and you can't beat the sound or the feel of a smooth 6 cylinder engine over a turbo car. Golf is also a 5 dr hatch over the 3dr S3

I agree about the 4m being the pick of the three and this is a nice example but may be a little over priced. I've seen them going for under 25k. 
1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

GTI's

Quote from: gti vr6 on October 21, 2006, 08:00:18 AM

I agree about the 4m being the pick of the three and this is a nice example but may be a little over priced. I've seen them going for under 25k. 

Not with 26000 k's on the clock

Turbo

Quote from: 106_racecar on October 20, 2006, 08:50:47 PM

I quite like the S4, but I have heard that they are really expensive to maintain - even more than the 4.2 V8 ? 

I presume that that performance of the GTB is similar to the S4?

i don't think it's anymore expensive to maintain than the V8, but i guess it really depends on who you get to maintain it.

as for similar performance, the GTB is not quite up with the S4 even though it has similar power figures. from memory the 0-100 of the legacy is low 6's and the S4 is ~5.7 (not that it's a tell all statistic.)
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

Audidude

Do NOT buy a 2.8 4Motion Golf before an S3 - it feels like a slug - seriously. It is totally different to an R32.

And, Anton, I have driven both Haldex AND quattro and do not agree with you that Quattro is WAY better than Haldex.

The torsen (=quattro in A4 and 4Motion in Passat) is mechanical and has an instantaneous response and a huge reliability record and splits up to 70/30 either end.

The Haldex (=quattro in the S3 and 4Motion in the Golf/R32) is electronic controlled hydraulically actuated multiplate clutch, responds in 15degrees of wheel rotation (=PDQ) and can transmit up to 100/0 either end. It defaults to FWD when driving with no slip between front and rear. But under acceleration and turning there is slip between the axles (it is incredibly sensitive to this) and AWD is activated. It is uncoupled under braking. It hasn't got the reliability record of the torsen but has the advantage of being tunable - there are aftermarket kits that change the torque splitting algorithms.

In really tight conditions the Haldex is very competent and you can feel the car changing to predominantly RWD at times. It is a superb system which is repeatedly slagged off at by AWD purists who regard it as a poor man's AWD - it is NOT!

BTW - I drive a torsen quattro now  ;D ;D

Cheers
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

robh

Quote from: 106_racecar on October 20, 2006, 08:50:47 PM
Thanks for the responses.  I think the Legacy GTB would be better proposition than the WRX, unfortunately I had a RSB facelift many years ago and was pretty unimpressed with the hole in responsiveness between the twin turbos.   That said, I have heard that the 99+ Legacy GTB Twin Turbo performs much better and is fairly cheap to purchase.

I quite like the S4, but I have heard that they are really expensive to maintain - even more than the 4.2 V8 ?  Also, there appears to be more interior space in the newer A4 over the old S4, although the S4 is a bit more special that the standard A4 Turbo.  I presume that that performance of the GTB is similar to the S4?

I have a 96 GTB and a 99 B4 RSK, they perform the same, same flat spot between the turbo's and same expensive running costs, though if your considering running a Euro in NZ I guess the running costs are not so much of an issue.  Every Subaru mechanic I have spoken to says avoid all twin turbo subs and that the single turbo cars are way more reliable and cheaper to run. 
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

rambo_005

My mate had a 96 RS that had done 200,000kms and still went really well. He had the drive belts, cambelt, idlers and tensioners replaced for just over $600 at the Palmfield Motors Subaru in Palmerston North - I thought that was pretty cheap!

Anyway he sold the RS and now has a 99 GTB Manual (206kW), which I think for the money is an unbeatable car.

robh

I agree, for the money GTB's are awesome cars, they are cheap to buy, but not cheap to insure,etch

beeker

Quote from: robh on October 22, 2006, 07:43:26 AM
I agree, for the money GTB's are awesome cars, they are cheap to buy, but not cheap to insure,etch

I would think the GTB would be cheaper to fix if it breaks too.

Personally, if i wanted a hack, I would go the GTB Legacy. If I wanted a cheap fast car, go the WRX or STI, if you want affordable style, go the Golf, and if you like Parnell girls, go the Audi's. Any of the Audis, get an aftermarket insurance warranty for it. Even little failues can cost allot. This way your running costs (via breakages) will be similar, no matter the age of the car.

Personally I went for the old and more unique car when I purchased my 01 RS4 v's a 04 S4. Still think it was the right call. The only niggle i have in the back of my head is that I know the newer cars are better in big crashes, as opposed to the older ones. The solution ? Make more commission !! and stop the women bleeding the bank account at the other end :)  (she is actually pretty good).

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

robh

we went through nearly $4k on repairs/servicing within less than 12 months on the 96 GTB, that was without any gearbox or turbo trouble, but did include $2k for the 100k service which ran to several pages on the invoice.  I don't rate that as particularly cheap, but I suppose you don't do the 100k service very often :)

ja

Also I would never get another performance subaru. Having 1 stolen and the other broken into 3 times gets old real quick.  :)