Audi S3 vs Golf 2.8 4 Motion vs WRX Wagon

Started by 106_racecar, October 20, 2006, 12:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hitmanGTI

5. The ABS light can keep comming on due to a faulty sensor. Common issue.
General comments?

lol that happens in any car..

Radios are just extra weight that no one needs

and the Central LCDs break on any car Jap or Euro and no you dont need them..

failing that just do what (turbo??) did and claim it for a new Guage Bezel on the Silver Circle insurance if you have it!

Cheers

Anton

Turbo

Quote from: Anton on November 01, 2006, 11:07:55 AM
5. The ABS light can keep comming on due to a faulty sensor. Common issue.
General comments?

lol that happens in any car..

Radios are just extra weight that no one needs

and the Central LCDs break on any car Jap or Euro and no you dont need them..

failing that just do what (turbo??) did and claim it for a new Guage Bezel on the Silver Circle insurance if you have it!

Cheers

Anton

actually it was autosure, and the whole instrument cluster, but yeah. if you get a euro car i'd recommend a warranty. (it's "risk management") ;)
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

boraV5

Also You may need GPS tracking with those cars :-)

Oh and Audis are VERY expensive to fix in an accident, my one was around the 10k mark.

106_racecar

Quote from: S3Quattro on October 25, 2006, 12:34:22 PM
S3 is good, and Haldex for the mountain is fine. I was towing people out of the snow with my S3 and had no issues at all.

Bare in mind S3 is 2 doors,, and the seats are heavy and a pain the in ass to have people going in and out of the back.

How About a 2001 + Subaru Outback, they're nice cars, heaps of room, and have good groun clearance and are cheapish.

The S3 is a fun car, but deffinately not for a family.

V6 4 Motion golf is a nice car, it has a better fit out than the S3 (IMO).

Well after driving a few more cars (A4,Allroad,facelift A6, Legacy 3.0R, Legacy GT and Outback) I found that the A4 was just too small for the family, the manual Allroad too expensive and may well go for either a Subaru Outback or Legacy GT as had been suggested on this thread. 

The 2004 Outback looks and feels more substantial than the Legacy and goes quite well with the 3.0 Flat 6.  In my opinion the Legacy suits the Turbo 4 engine best, and looks to have S4 performance - I guess that won't go down well ?!!!  And as also mentioned, the GT may not be there when you get back, although the new Legacy seems to be better in that regard.  Another point of interest, the Outback is fairly cheap to insure and I have had a quote of little over $400.

Comments, criticisms welcome !
2007 Golf GTI

gti vr6

1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

HandsomeDan

Is it too late for me to suggest a Mitsi Aitrek Turbo?
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

106_racecar

Quote from: jasoncordelle on March 28, 2007, 10:44:58 AM
Is it too late for me to suggest a Mitsi Aitrek Turbo?
Airtrek is too small - pretty keen on the 3.0R Outback due to the extra ground clearance.  I tried a Legacy 3.0R with the STI 6 Speed and it went very well too.
2007 Golf GTI

HandsomeDan

1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

106_racecar

I am still prevaricating between a Audi A6 3.0, Subaru Outback 3.0R, Legacy 3.0R spec B, Legacy GT and possibly a '99 S4 Avant.

An Outback 3.0R with a manual g'box would be the right car and price, shame they only make it in an auto.  The Legacy 3.0R with the 6 spd manual g'box goes very well but is a little low and more expensive, the GT will be stolen by the time I finish typing this and the S4 Avant is probably a bit small for a family of 5.  Oh and the 3.0 A6 seems to be a bit expensive for what you get compared to a 2.4 or 2.8.

Any ideas?
2007 Golf GTI

HandsomeDan

Is there much of a difference on the V6 Audi engines? Would it be worth dropping a few CC's and going for the A6Q Avant and maybe looking at a few minor mods?
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

106_racecar

Quote from: jasoncordelle on April 23, 2007, 03:10:03 PM
Is there much of a difference on the V6 Audi engines? Would it be worth dropping a few CC's and going for the A6Q Avant and maybe looking at a few minor mods?
The A6 3.0 Q would be a good option although basically the same cat as my 2.4 A6. 

It is hard to see the value in a car that looks the same as what you have and costs 3-4 times the price! 

I do prefer the Audi build quality and general feel of the car, but at least the Outback is only twice the upgrade price of what I have and yet you get AWD, an extra 600cc and a car 6 yrs newer - the general consensus seems to be that the Subaru Auto is not a great shifter however.

The Legacy 3.0R with the 6 speed STI g'box is quite good, but the Legacy is fairly common and looks like a 2.0 with different wheels.

What did you mean by some minor mods ?
2007 Golf GTI

1.8t

My father is test driving a 3.0 Outback this Anzac day, im trying to talking him into the legacy 3.0b.

Will be interesting to see how it goes :)
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

HandsomeDan

Quote from: 106_racecar on April 23, 2007, 04:06:45 PM
The A6 3.0 Q would be a good option although basically the same cat as my 2.4 A6. 

It is hard to see the value in a car that looks the same as what you have and costs 3-4 times the price! 

I do prefer the Audi build quality and general feel of the car, but at least the Outback is only twice the upgrade price of what I have and yet you get AWD, an extra 600cc and a car 6 yrs newer - the general consensus seems to be that the Subaru Auto is not a great shifter however.

The Legacy 3.0R with the 6 speed STI g'box is quite good, but the Legacy is fairly common and looks like a 2.0 with different wheels.

Couldn't you go a cheaper V6 than the 3.0 Avant, but still with A6 and add go faster bits (I'm not so techie...) I don't know how tunable the V6's are...
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

rambo_005

Quote from: 106_racecar on April 23, 2007, 04:06:45 PM

I'd go for the Legacy 3.0R 6 speed. awesome car 8)

106_racecar

Quote from: rambo_005 on April 23, 2007, 07:09:00 PM
I'd go for the Legacy 3.0R 6 speed. awesome car 8)

You are right, it has an awesome engine gearbox combo - It handled pretty well too, but looks a bit plain, I prefer the Outback as it has more presence and looks less like 2.0 Japa though with some bigger wheels?!!!

I'm a little concerned it might be a little too low for the ski-field/odd gravel road as it only has 155mm ground clearance to the Outback at 200mm.

Funnily enough I felt the 2.5 Outback was fun to drive, but I think I would always be thinking: "maybe I should have got the 3.0R even if it was auto".
2007 Golf GTI

rambo_005

Quote from: 106_racecar on April 23, 2007, 07:38:02 PM
You are right, it has an awesome engine gearbox combo - It handled pretty well too, but looks a bit plain, I prefer the Outback as it has more presence and looks less like 2.0 Japa though with some bigger wheels?!!!

That could be a good thing though, less attractive to the thieving lowlife type..

Quote from: 106_racecar on April 23, 2007, 07:38:02 PM
I'm a little concerned it might be a little too low for the ski-field/odd gravel road as it only has 155mm ground clearance to the Outback at 200mm.

Funnily enough I felt the 2.5 Outback was fun to drive, but I think I would always be thinking: "maybe I should have got the 3.0R even if it was auto".

That is true, I guess it depends on how often would you be taking it to the ski-fields...
You could end up thinking that you should have gone for the more enjoyable six speed Legacy everytime you weren't in the snow ;D

My Dad had the first (press car) six speed 3.0R spec B Legacy for 3 days (a few years back now) I was very impressed with it, for the price and kit it is a hard car to beat. The McIntosh sound system and the AWD Manual Flat Six make it for me :D

106_racecar

Quote from: rambo_005 on April 23, 2007, 08:39:49 PM
That could be a good thing though, less attractive to the thieving lowlife type..

That is true, I guess it depends on how often would you be taking it to the ski-fields...
You could end up thinking that you should have gone for the more enjoyable six speed Legacy everytime you weren't in the snow ;D

My Dad had the first (press car) six speed 3.0R spec B Legacy for 3 days (a few years back now) I was very impressed with it, for the price and kit it is a hard car to beat. The McIntosh sound system and the AWD Manual Flat Six make it for me :D

The 3.0R Spec B being more discreet is a good thing to me and I am not so keen on the GT as much as it is a blast to drive due to the "thieving lowlife types"!

The 3.0R Spec B, is a great sports combination, and the stereo is almost as good as my Audi A6 Bose unit, and I have indeed thought I might regret going for the Outback at times over the 3.0R Spec B. I guess I only take it on the snow 2-3 times and a couple of gravel roads a year - that said I might do it more if I had an Outback.

I was quite keen on the Outback but have recently heard of a few people selling theirs due to frustrations with the automatic transmission which is a worry as I don't want to buy something and regret it 2 weeks later!
2007 Golf GTI

1.8t

After having a wee fang in the 3.0R Legacy with the auto, I know what you mean about the gear box, its pretty smooth in intelligent mode but in Sports or Sports sharp it really hammers through the gears.

It drives like a totally different car. Can see how it would use plenty of gas when driven hard.

But it looked awesome, and handled pretty damn well for a larger car.

Im a fan of the wheels on them too.
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

rambo_005

Quote from: 1.8t on April 25, 2007, 07:05:18 PM
After having a wee fang in the 3.0R Legacy with the auto, I know what you mean about the gear box, its pretty smooth in intelligent mode but in Sports or Sports sharp it really hammers through the gears.

It drives like a totally different car. Can see how it would use plenty of gas when driven hard.

Try the six speed, a whole different car ;D

106_racecar

Quote from: 1.8t on April 25, 2007, 07:05:18 PM

I have only driven the 3.0 auto in an Outback and thought it went pretty well and sounded similar to a 911 flat 6.  However driving the Legacy 3.0 with the manual was even better to drive and I can see how I could sell the Audi A6 and my Peugeot 106 and have the best of both cars in a single car.
2007 Golf GTI