Audi S3 vs Golf 2.8 4 Motion vs WRX Wagon

Started by 106_racecar, October 20, 2006, 12:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turbo

Quote from: ja on October 22, 2006, 03:08:25 PM
Also I would never get another performance subaru. Having 1 stolen and the other broken into 3 times gets old real quick.  :)

yeah, soobys are pretty high up on the shopping list for the light fingered.
audi/vw's are a little bit harder to steal.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

106_racecar

Quote from: ja on October 22, 2006, 03:08:25 PM
Also I would never get another performance Subaru. Having 1 stolen and the other broken into 3 times gets old real quick.  :)

I must say, theft is one of the worries, I don't really want to be in the situation of going away on holiday and on returning to the car finding it has disappeared.  The GT-B's are really a better fit given I have a couple of kids and are pretty good value for money at a third to half the cost of a S4, which is fairly appealling.  I also bet that the Legacy is a couple of rungs down the shopping list too ?!!! 

The crash safety on the A4 also is not so great at a "qualified" 3 star, whereas the S3 and Golf Mk4 are 4 star cars.  The S3 is probably a bit impractical on the odd occasion I have to pick up children and throw stuff in the boot.  The new and old A4's have good boot space and now contradicting myself the S4 is not much of a step up in price from the S3 ! 

With regard to the Golf I felt it was a bit tight for space in the front seats, although it does have 5 doors and that V6 does sound very nice.

Servicing wise the A6 was about 3k for the cambelt replacement so under 1k for a Subaru sounds cheap.

And from what I can see, the Police seem to take much more notice of WRX's than Audi's/VW's ?!!!!

2007 Golf GTI

106_racecar

Quote from: beeker on October 22, 2006, 09:21:24 AM
I would think the GTB would be cheaper to fix if it breaks too.

Personally, if i wanted a hack, I would go the GTB Legacy. If I wanted a cheap fast car, go the WRX or STI, if you want affordable style, go the Golf, and if you like Parnell girls, go the Audi's. Any of the Audis, get an aftermarket insurance warranty for it. Even little failues can cost allot. This way your running costs (via breakages) will be similar, no matter the age of the car.

Personally I went for the old and more unique car when I purchased my 01 RS4 v's a 04 S4. Still think it was the right call. The only niggle i have in the back of my head is that I know the newer cars are better in big crashes, as opposed to the older ones. The solution ? Make more commission !! and stop the women bleeding the bank account at the other end :)  (she is actually pretty good).

Are you saying that the VW is more reliable than an Audi ?  When I bought my Audi A6, I purchased the expensive warranty from the Audi Dealer and I have  probably booked about 6k on it in 2 years. 

The new V8 S4 would be my ultimate choice, but then for much less $$$ (25-30k) you could get a 2 year old nz new Legacy GT with the datadot technology.  Better built than the 99-03 shape but still not an Audi.

2007 Golf GTI

xring

WRX's are very fast, but also very low quality materials and massive turbo lag. I drive a normal 2.2 litre Legacy for work ...... just another car. Have driven a B4 Legacy (a mates) twin turbo. Not bad but didn't like the auto and the turbos didn't kick in till very high revs.

Don't personnelly like the A3's but that is just me.

Golf 4motion seems a good compromise to me, which is why I drive one. Sure there are faster cars around, but there are a lot of slower ones too. Cops take no notice of them because they look like any other Golf. Car thieves don't seem to take much notice either. They have good quality materials, are well put together, and have reasonable room inside and a good size luggage area. The motor sounds awesome and performs well. Little things like heated front seats are very nice in cold weather too. They are and effortless cruiser, but you can still embarrass a lot of other cars if you want to play.
Polo GTI 2013
Bora MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV V5 manual - gone
Golf MkV GTI manual- gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

HERMAN ROOSE

I drive a '99 S4 and have to say I would never have any Subaru instead.
That said, who knows anything about chipping one...?

Turbo

Quote from: HERMAN ROOSE on October 23, 2006, 10:55:44 AM
I drive a '99 S4 and have to say I would never have any Subaru instead.
That said, who knows anything about chipping one...?

herman, have a search for "chips" and "remap" on the forum there's a bunch of different topics that will have more information than i can remember. but there are a number of options to choose from.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

phil

Well I sold the old 911 on Friday, and am now considering an Version 6 STI hatch ( the last of the original shape) if I can find a nice unmolested NZ new example.

Hate the boy racer bush that I will be tarnished with if I buy the STI, but it is hard to look past it in terms of performance and practicality. Roof rails and the large boot space will be fantastic for my mountainbiking, snowboarding and photography. And it means I can preserve my old GTI in the garage that the Porsche once had.

I used to have a 1998 RSB Legacy, and also hated the turbo lag between the two turbos, and don't really like the shape of the newer Legacy's as much.

Have also noticed the 4Motion on TM, but its twice the price of what an STI would cost which pretty much kills it for me.

boraV5

S3 is good, and Haldex for the mountain is fine. I was towing people out of the snow with my S3 and had no issues at all.

Bare in mind S3 is 2 doors,, and the seats are heavy and a pain the in ass to have people going in and out of the back.

How About a 2001 + Subaru Outback, they're nice cars, heaps of room, and have good groun clearance and are cheapish.

The S3 is a fun car, but deffinately not for a family.

V6 4 Motion golf is a nice car, it has a better fit out than the S3 (IMO).

qta4

Buy an Audi S4
Where can you ever buy such a great family ,non wog desirable car
You could take any S4 out for family restaurant,movie event and know it will still be there on your return.
Just try that with any Honda type R ,Subaru WRX,Mitzi EVO type crap car.
Also insurance savings will keep your family eating out all year.
My 2k1 S4 MTM estate is the least desirable for the wog culture in NZ.
Unlike USA and UK
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

hitmanGTI

wog - isnt that Western European?

im a Wog

wtf?

i havent stolen any cars lol??

I think your talking about FOBs

or Boys from the so called "Dirty Souf"

89Golfer

Quote from: Anton on October 30, 2006, 10:02:06 PM
wog - isnt that Western European?

im a Wog

wtf?

i havent stolen any cars lol??

I think your talking about FOBs

or Boys from the so called "Dirty Souf"

wog- western oriental gentleman. ?  derogatory term for more
tanned/african persons.  Or at least I thought it was.
I dont really know if its that 'derogatory' though..
85 Nissan Exa, 89 Subaru Leone Gtxi,
85 Honda Civic, 89 Volkswagen Golf (digi)
92 Volkswagen 2NF Polo "Steilheck"

hitmanGTI

Lol.. in Aussie you when you call someone a WOG they are generally Greek Italian Spanish etc etc etc..

106_racecar

I am starting to consider the S4, Subaru GTB and Golf 4Motion as I really need to be able to put kids in the back from time to time. 

One thing with the S4 though, I have heard that they are very expensive to maintain, and both turbo's go at approx 110kms ?  What sort of cost is this likely to be?  I have found that my A6 is pretty cheap to maintain at around $300 pa for the annual services at the Audi dealer.

I must say that the S3 looked impressive when taking on the new R32 on one of the videos on this forum - I thought that the R32 was supposed to be awesome ?  I guess that the S3 was heavily modified ?!!!
2007 Golf GTI

hitmanGTI

S4.. turbos Going.??

lol are you sure you arent talking about a S4 STI Subaru lol...

the KKK Turbos, thou they are small, they are really well built

you must have to ring the balls off to destroy the turbos..

Turbo

106_racecar

Maybe a newer A4 Quattro Turbo is the better way to go.  It has a much bigger boot too.  460l vs 388l

As per this owners review, there appears to be some probs with the S4:  http://www.carsurvey.org/review_90610.html

What things have gone wrong with the car?

1. Common problem with Audi concert stereo with tape deck, the volume goes crazy when you turn the dial. It's a problem with the RAM. Need to replace the stereo this will happen to all units eventually, there is no fix from Audi.2.Central LCD shows lines and is unreadable. Need to be replaced. Due to issue with the connections inside the LCD. This is a Common problem costs 2000 NZD (1000 Euro) to fix.

3. On early S4 models the turdo's go at around 110,000 k's. Expensive as to replace the bottom turbo you have to take the engine out. This is a common problem with the early models. (Audi have now dropped the twin turbo from the S4).

4. The exhaust manifold is twin skinned this breakes and caused a rattling noise at low rev's. Expensive to fix as it requires the engine out can be 40hrs labour. If your lucky the rattling noise may be from a lose heat shield that can be reached with a long cresent.

5. The ABS light can keep comming on due to a faulty sensor. Common issue.
General comments?

The car is a dog due to the above known issues and no support from Audi to rectify. Be aware you could be up for a $10,000 NZD (5000) euro bill on the early versions of this model.

It has good performace, but the handling is average.
2007 Golf GTI

RS ZWEI

Quote from: 106_racecar on November 01, 2006, 12:12:34 AM
Maybe a newer A4 Quattro Turbo is the better way to go.  It has a much bigger boot too.  460l vs 388l

As per this owners review, there appears to be some probs with the S4:  http://www.carsurvey.org/review_90610.html

What things have gone wrong with the car?

1. Common problem with Audi concert stereo with tape deck, the volume goes crazy when you turn the dial. It's a problem with the RAM. Need to replace the stereo this will happen to all units eventually, there is no fix from Audi.2.Central LCD shows lines and is unreadable. Need to be replaced. Due to issue with the connections inside the LCD. This is a Common problem costs 2000 NZD (1000 Euro) to fix.

3. On early S4 models the turdo's go at around 110,000 k's. Expensive as to replace the bottom turbo you have to take the engine out. This is a common problem with the early models. (Audi have now dropped the twin turbo from the S4).

4. The exhaust manifold is twin skinned this breakes and caused a rattling noise at low rev's. Expensive to fix as it requires the engine out can be 40hrs labour. If your lucky the rattling noise may be from a lose heat shield that can be reached with a long cresent.

5. The ABS light can keep comming on due to a faulty sensor. Common issue.
General comments?

The car is a dog due to the above known issues and no support from Audi to rectify. Be aware you could be up for a $10,000 NZD (5000) euro bill on the early versions of this model.

It has good performace, but the handling is average.

Who wrote that? Is there opinion that valid?
I think your only hearing one side of the story, do you know this cars history?
I personally would do more research than just reading the above link.

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

hitmanGTI

It sounds like the Dipcrap from the Dog and Lemon Guide Wrote it...

Bullseye

Quote from: Anton on November 01, 2006, 10:10:40 AM
It sounds like the Dips**t from the Dog and Lemon Guide Wrote it...

LOL

Only one of these things stops the car driving..............and no one seems to have heard of the 110k blown turbo's before - if they do then I'm screwed  :o
B8 A4 Avant - soon to be eating Chips

Turbo

i've done a lot of reading about the S4's and this is the first i've heard of blowing turbos at 110km.

as for the rest. Meh, those kinds of niggles happen to most cars, generally something goes wrong to any make/model if you're unlucky. if it's only a rattle, or some dead pixels (which i had by the way - fixed for free under warranty, but was definitely not $2000 if i had paid for it.)
then really that's not much to be concerned about.