S3 mods

Started by djrisk, October 20, 2006, 05:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djrisk

Hey guys
Im new to the club and the mrs and I have just got a 2003 S3 sport (which is great, but not as powerful as my old RX7) and i want to do a couple of simple mods to give it some more power and a lower stance (exhaust, chip, airbox and springs). Giltraps said my car would be off the road for 5 weeks if i wanted to get a MTM chip fitted, and all the decent parts i could find all have to be imported from europe. Is there anyone local who can do this, without voiding my silver circle warranty, and devalueing the car? My brother says K+N make a pod kit for the car. Any help is appreciated. :)
Cheers
Tom ;D
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

Turbo

hey man, welcome to the club.

If you do a quick search for "chip" or "remap" on the forum there's a bunch of topics.
chipping, or remapping will give you the best bang for your buck. these cars are very responsive to tuning.

giltraps (mtm & amd) will be expensive but there are a number of alternative companies which can do the job.
Revo, superchips and some others i forget. the good thing about them is that they give you a free trial and you can see how much of a performance increase you get before you commit to handing over the $.

after chipping, probably exhaust would be your next best bet. I'm actually thinking of doing that myself at the moment (milltek system from autopassion.co.nz)
but as far as i know, air filters/ pods are next to useless unless you get a custom cold box made for them, cos heak soak from the engine bay will negate any benefit from the filter.

as for springs, i'd recommend getting the whole set up (shocks and springs / coilovers) and a number of people have had decent handling benefit from installing sway bars.

that's what i reckon, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong guys.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

Audidude

I have a set of KW Variant 2 coilovers - adjustable height and compression, and also a Milltek stainless cat back exhaust. Both were off my MY '02 S3 so will go straight in. I am away on Targa from tomorrow AM til next Sunday. PM me if you are interested - they will be very reasonably priced.

Exhaust was on car for about 18 months and is mint apart from needing some metal polish, and the KW's had just over 12 months use - they transform the car's handling - reduces roll and beautifully damped - removes the floating feeling you get on high speed corners when you hit a few bumps.

http://www.millteksport.com/index.cfm
http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/index.php

Cheers
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

hitmanGTI

Talk to S3 Quattro

His Personal Chipper can have your S3 from Slow to Woah in about 15 minutes

or secondly Give Steve a Call 021 270 0090 and ask if you can take his for a Drive one day

djrisk

Thanks guys.
Audidude, i have messaged you RE: exhaust, keen as for that, but not sure ill bother with the suspension for now.... I see you have a DTM A4. Nice man, i couldnt find one anywhere...only 25 in the country?
Will get the chip sorted in the new year also, and i think ill get a K+N panel filter for my airbox. I have seen some of those replacement by-pass valves on the milltek website and also autopassion.co.nz, is this something that needs doing? i would imagine with a chip and exhaust the increase in boost would put a strain on the original valve?
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

hitmanGTI

um nah

the S3 Valves hold out Fine..

well Steve never had a problem his is thrashed day in day out

K&N Filters are not cheap.. i have a 2nd hand one for sale

ummm

chip is peace of piss and is relativly cheap 1500 and its done in your own driveway

djrisk

My brother works at pioneer auto parts so a K+N panel filter will cost me $45 brand new....
Those chip mods look a little too easy, will definitely suss that out soon.
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

Turbo

not sure about what affects your warranty, but if you get it remapped, some companies like revo have a number of settings which you can switch between so the testers need not know.

might be harder to hide a non OEM exhaust though, not sure if giltraps would have an issue with it...
anyone else know?
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

hitmanGTI

Sigh.. either way people can find out you have a remap!

why do you think the chip mods are to easy..

i had mine done by the same tuner but because i had a earlier model VW i had to have the Chip Soldered in.. that only took 2 hours

djrisk

Apparently an MTM chip is still covered under warranty, but unsure of other brands of chips. This warranty covers all my servicing aswell but i dont think they could deny my servicing right if i had a cat back or similar, esp if there was nothing wrong with the car and it was a ordinary scheduled service... We shall see. My drivers door switch keeps playing up, apparently this has happened to a few cars. Anyone else have this problem??
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

eddyg

Quote from: djrisk on October 22, 2006, 12:44:22 PM
My drivers door switch keeps playing up, apparently this has happened to a few cars. Anyone else have this problem??

Yep - I have this problem as well - haven't figured out a solution as yet. But it's stopped for a while and so hasn't worried me. Let us know if you figure out what the issue is.

Cheers, Ed.

12ax7

Quote from: djrisk on October 22, 2006, 12:44:22 PM
My drivers door switch keeps playing up, apparently this has happened to a few cars. Anyone else have this problem??
Yep, 7 months for Giltraps to fix. Apparently the remotes lose their memory (a) and need to be recoded from time to time ( Alzeimers - see Dog & Lemon guide for Skoda/VW ). The remotes also sometimes fail (b) - Giltraps found out that when you put new batteries in a faulty remote they still dont go (c) - surprise eh. And finally it the transponder fails and/or the door lock itself (d) . I've had a,b,c & d so far. I guess 7 months isn't too bad after all, although as I explained to the GM there, running round like a maniac trying to unlock the car on a hot date is not the go.

eddyg

Quote from: 12ax7 on October 24, 2006, 11:13:17 AM
Yep, 7 months for Giltraps to fix. Apparently the remotes lose their memory (a) and need to be recoded from time to time ( Alzeimers - see Dog & Lemon guide for Skoda/VW ). The remotes also sometimes fail (b) - Giltraps found out that when you put new batteries in a faulty remote they still dont go (c) - surprise eh. And finally it the transponder fails and/or the door lock itself (d) . I've had a,b,c & d so far. I guess 7 months isn't too bad after all, although as I explained to the GM there, running round like a maniac trying to unlock the car on a hot date is not the go.

Wow! That's really unlucky.

My symptom is only that the central locking doesn't 100% of the time recognise that the door is closed. This results in the interior light remaining lit when entering the car, and the alarm not being engaged when locking the car. A quick slam of the door fixes it most of the time.

Cheers, Ed.

djrisk

Well they are taking the car on friday and Andy seems to think they can fix it in a day. Its happened on a regular basis so i would assume its a fault with the whole A3 range....
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P