'86 Audi Coupe GT Auto to Manual conversion

Started by typ53, October 21, 2006, 09:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

typ53

Has anyone done this swap, or got any idea of how difficult it would be if you had access to a complete donor car?

The Fleet:
Orange Roughy:'90 16v Corrado
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring
Still trying to figure out how to get 'em all to fit in a single garage....

GroupbA2rob

Theres usually some manual GT's on trademe going for around the $1000 -$3000 value, or get intouch with Euroline in Drury " Audi parts / wrecker, good luck!!

typ53

I should clarify:

Firstly this is more about the exercise than having a manual GT. 

My Dad has a good condition and fairly low k's CGT (auto), and he's just bought a second one that is ultimately destined for the wrecker's, but for now is a parts car, mainly for the lights and some of the trims.  The thing is, it's manual and we got talking about the viability of a swap yesterday.

(The 3 speed auto box is a bit of a high performance item it must be said, however...)

What I'm curious about is really are there any curly issues that anyone can think of here such as:

- does the mid-'80's Auto GT have a Transmission Computer, or different ECU (if at all) to the manual? 
- any differences in brake vacuum assist?
- getting the reverse lights to work?

From the cursory glance I've had the obvious bits reqd are the clutch and pedal assemblies, throttle linkages and presumably gearbox, mounts and drive shafts from the donor.

Sadly we don't want to just drop the complete engine and box out of each and swap them as the donor has about 100,000 more k's on it.

Put me under an A2 or Corrado and I'm fine, but I know next to nothing about Coupe GT's, and even less about auto transmissions and that's why I'm throwing this to the group:

Any thoughts?

The Fleet:
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring

orggti

Be easy id say, just check under the dash that all the brackets and stuff for the clutch pedal are there. No ecus or worry bout brake vacume or nothing. And its a front drive with a cable clutch that the forks comes out the side of the bell housing, no worries..................damn those quattros >:(

Simon MkII

So that'd explain why I saw you piloting a Coupe being towed by an A3 yesterday?
Mazda Mx5

typ53

And I thought I'd gotten away with it without being seen... ;)

It was one of the most scary things I've done lately - no electrics at all, brakes barely there, and lots of hills!

The Fleet:
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring

typ53

Quote from: orggti on October 22, 2006, 11:04:39 AM
Be easy id say, just check under the dash that all the brackets and stuff for the clutch pedal are there. No ecus or worry bout brake vacume or nothing. And its a front drive with a cable clutch that the forks comes out the side of the bell housing, no worries..................damn those quattros >:(

Thanks, I think we'll look a bit harder at it then.
The Fleet:
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring

orggti

I converted a mk1 golf convertable to manual and it was really easy and from what i know of the coupe and ive wreaked 3 i think and fixed plenty, they are pretty much made so that they can take all the differnt combinations they come in without any problems, I had to fit the steering colum cause it had the pedal pivots on it.

1joe

A few things could stop you in your tracks
1.Gearbox mount would have to be removed & fitted to auto car & auto's one removed!
2. No holes or mountings for clutch reservoir
3. Foot rest bigger in auto than manual
Other than that it would be a breeze!!

1joe

BTW from 1985 on the clutches are hydraulic not cable. you could drop both motors & change boxes on the floor, you would also need a new spigot bearing in the end of the crank.

typ53

Quote from: 1joe on October 23, 2006, 12:56:30 PM
A few things could stop you in your tracks
1.Gearbox mount would have to be removed & fitted to auto car & auto's one removed!
2. No holes or mountings for clutch reservoir
3. Foot rest bigger in auto than manual
Other than that it would be a breeze!!

Thanks for the tips:

I see what you mean about the Hydraulic reservoir mounts - when you put the two side by side it kinda looks as though it's an after thought addition to the Manual's engine compartment.

From what I can see on ETKA the manual gearbox mount is bolted on, not welded, right?

The foot rest may cause some technical difficulties though...  ;)
The Fleet:
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring

1joe

No not quite, the 2 mount positions are different & the manual one would have to be unstitched from one car & welded to the other.

typ53

Hmm.  That may have put the kiss of death on it then.

Cheers.

The Fleet:
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring

1joe

I went through the whole exercise a while ago & you would have to be pretty keen to convert one!!

orggti

Isnt the resivour a little bottle on its own? You could stick it anywhere and just weld or bolt a little bracket in. Ive heard people use motorbike one cause the audi ones disintergrate over time. And bummer bout them going to hydralic after 85, they do feel beter than a cable tho.

1joe

True, but there is no hole through the firewall either!!

wilco

I've been partway through this conversion too until recently.  Sorted out all the problems decribed in the above posts, but complicated by me wanting to install a 2.6ltr V6 as well.  Have a few fitting probs with input shaft vs crank.  Flywheel and clutch wasnt a problem once I had the back of the flywheel skimmed down to clear the V6 block and the centre machined out slightly - only 0.5mm if I remember right.
Anyway it may go back to a full V6 auto now.  The point is though that its relatively easy to do once you think the whole thing through.  Yes it's a lot easier if you have donor cars.  In my case it was a mix of mid-80's 80 parts and hydraulic clutch from similar age quattro's.
Now if the 5-bolt conversion was as easy....  ;)

orggti

Nothing is easy is it so I go with Peter now, do it if you have too only.