Almost there!!

Started by 1joe, October 26, 2006, 09:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1joe

Well after many hours of hard work & sweat one of my '85 coupes is almost ready to be sprayed. It has been striped back to bare metal. Dings etc have been done & it is primed ready to be rubbed down & painted. It will remain stock standard inside & out. Have even found a car with a mint interior to get mine back to factory. There is a guy in Gisborne who is turning one into an S1 for targa rallying. Apparently it will have a chrome-molly space frame & Subaru running gear!

Pristle

Quote from: Peter on October 26, 2006, 09:29:06 PM...........have a chrome-molly space frame & Subaru running gear!

sptphh..sptphh....It'll have what?!?!?

1joe

Yeah I know, but each to their own I guess!!

orggti

I think that sound like a great idea! modern subaru running gear would be cheap to get light and reliable and grunty with loads of tuning potential.

1joe

Yes it would, it still will have the 5 cyl motor in it. They say it will have at least 500 horses. The guy who is doing it has the moulds for the S1 body bits. He was a mechanic for a factory team when they canned group b & they went to rally cross in Sweden!!

hitmanGTI

nothing wrong with Subaru AWD.. it is a completly symmetrical system which scores lotsa brownie points form me!!..

unlike that in a MK4 Golf R32 or a Mitsy Evo..

orggti

But will it have diff locks like an origional audi? subarus dont usually do they? they just spin one wheel unless they got a anti lock computer doing stuff. Are they going to install all that as well? With 500 HP youd think they would have liked the good old simple strong and fully lockable predictable system. Ive heard some four wheel drives do all sorts of funny stuff under huge power. the world rally cars only have around 300hp dont they? probibly keeps things a bit more under control.

1joe

Dunno at this stage. When I get back up there I'll find out & let you know.

5-pot

Quote from: orggti on October 29, 2006, 01:36:16 PM
But will it have diff locks like an origional audi? subarus dont usually do they? they just spin one wheel unless they got a anti lock computer doing stuff. Are they going to install all that as well? With 500 HP youd think they would have liked the good old simple strong and fully lockable predictable system. Ive heard some four wheel drives do all sorts of funny stuff under huge power. the world rally cars only have around 300hp dont they? probibly keeps things a bit more under control.

can't you buy aftermarket LSD's for that purpose? 
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

orggti

Im also wondering why he would want to try to mate a 5 pot to a subaru box? and end up with a big front heavy difficult to tune donk when he could have a super light twin turbo subaru motor for less than a set of race pistons for a 5 pot. But I spend alot of time wondering why people do the things they do.
I can understand repowering a nice old classic tough as coupe quattro with a modern "complete" drive system tho. Maybe he thinks he can hide the drive train and wants it to still look like a real audi. Not such a bad idea, but is a subaru system better than a audi system unless he spends megger bucks on it. Which is exactly what he probibly will do. Then get pissed at how front heavy it is :laugh:

1joe

Exactly! Why not just have a Subaru just like everyone else or perhaps have something different, human nature I guess?

1joe

Well after an enforced break it is done!!

orggti

Looks good, shame about the wheels :P so does it have all the subaru stuff? all working good?

rambo_005

Looking nice! I need to get my car painted soon, it's getting scruffier by the day.

1joe

This is not the one with Subaru running gear, that's for the targa. This has been my pet project for the last year! Car was stripped back to bare metal & resprayed. The wheels are only temporary while the others are getting painted.

GlenT

Good work there Peter.
She will look fabulous when she's finished.
Seems a bit odd that fellow using a Scooby box which is renowned for being weak when the Audi box's especially the 016 (from the Ur) is bullet proof and can handle massive torque.
Being cheap and having parts available might seem good now, but he'll be stripping it every five minutes, plus it could cost you a stage if it poo's it's pants, so it will cost more in the long run.
Personally I would be using the Torsen box with Audi running gear, harder to obtain but boy is it up to the task. And it's all mechanical, built like a tank with no electronic this or that to fizz out half way into a stage.
Remember, first you have to finish, before you can finish first.