S4 for sale

Started by davidw, October 27, 2006, 07:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidw

Greetings fellow Audi aficionados.  In case you haven't already seen the ad on trademe, my 100 S4 saloon (6 speed manual) is for sale.  Here's the link:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Audi/auction-75474922.htm

One or two of you might know me as a former regular poster on quattroforum.com.

My wife's Polo GTi is also for sale, in case anyone is interested.

HERMAN ROOSE

Just a hint of interest with a view to wife using my B5 to replace her Xantia.
I've never sat in one although I've seen one here in Nelson. Where are you?

1.8t

Quote from: HERMAN ROOSE on October 27, 2006, 07:32:38 PM
Just a hint of interest with a view to wife using my B5 to replace her Xantia.
I've never sat in one although I've seen one here in Nelson. Where are you?

According to his Trademe profile he is in Auckland :)
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

John Stone

Dang, I wish i had some spare dosh.......
Then again, it would probably result in WW3 on the home front :-[

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

davidw

Correct, I'm in Auckland.  I only have another five weeks in the country before heading back to the UK.  I will not be working for the last three weeks so I might be open to travelling to a serious buyer.  I'm not quite sure what I'll do if it doesn't sell by the time I leave:  take it with me, take it to Turners, leave it with a family member to sell, put it in storage?  As it is, I'm selling it for considerably less than I paid for it less than a year ago.  This car represents serious value for money and it would be a crime to sell it for much less than I am asking now.

As an aside, I am hatching plans of buying and restoring a Coupe GT or a Coupe quattro (type 85) when I get back to the UK.  I might consider taking a nice one as a part exchange on the S4 (or the Polo for that matter).

Duncan

Oooh, I want I want I want...!
If I can find a home for my '88 90Q and my '85 CQ, then I'm probably a serious contender.
Problem is, they need a bit of pre-sale TLC, and it sounds like you're on a deadline... when do you head off?

I'll let you know how I get on...

Duncan

hitmanGTI

go duncan.. !!!

u missed that S2 so now heres ur chance for a S4.. go boy!!

:P

5-pot

Duncan, I'm in the hunt for a 90Q.  was looking for a 20V but they're harder to find than a pin in a haybarn.  What're you looking to let it go for?
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

davidw

Duncan, I leave 1 December.  If the car's not sold and you're still interested, I could leave it with someone here.  If you want to come and look at it before then, you're more than welcome.

Tell me about your CQ.  Colour, condition, mileage, what needs doing etc.

davidw

5pot, if Duncan's 88 90Q checks out, I wouldn't be too worried about waiting for a 20v.  I owned a Coupe quattro 20v for nearly 5 years, of which two were spent in the UK and three in Germany.  I have also test driven both a 90Q 20v and a 90Q Sport 20v and have owned/driven numerous CGTs and CQs (both type 85 and 89).  The 20vs are undoubtedly faster than the 10vs, but they have a number of disadvantages:  you have to rev them to make them go - below 3000 rpm they are completely dead; they come with catalytic converter, which means not much of an exhaust note and poor throttle response; and fuel consumption and maintenance costs are inevitably higher.  To some extent these problems can be addressed by deleting the cat and fitting a performance chip.  Driving around the UK (where the roads are much more like NZ), the 20v didn't feel particularly fast.  In Germany, where there was plenty of scope to floor the throttle and keep it there, it was in its element.  I think you'd find that a 90Q with the KV engine would be better suited to NZ driving conditions.  That said, if you did find a good 20v, I wouldn't hesitate.

Duncan

Sorry about the thread hijack! Would be very keen on a drive this weekend if poss, will call as soon as I get the chance. Will try to tidy up my cars this weekend and get some current pics etc, and throw up an ad.

The CQ is def not pristine, but runs well. Hugely raucous exhaust note(!!), but no exhaust leak, I think something has happened inside the rear muffler. Kinda fun though, so I haven't replaced it. Lotsa miles on it (ex UK), will have to check numbers but it's high enough that I now ignore it! Koni sport adjustables all around. Tornado red, and clearcoat has suffered from the u.v. so kinda pink-ish.

I always get kinda down on it when I haven't driven it for a while, but it's so much fun to drive. I'll give it a tidy up, put grill back in, reconstruct glovebox etc, and get some pics up after the weekend!

davidw

Sounds like your CQ might be a bit too challenging, but feel free to bring it with you if you come to look at the S4.

Mike

There is a black Type 89 90q 20v around Wellington with a Z***** number plate. One of 2 20v non turbos I've seen in NZ (other one was a silver Type 89 Coupe quattro that had 200K km on it back in 2000). 

David very interesting comments on driving the 20v vs 10v, esp since I've never driven a 20v. We communicated on quattroforum once or twice. Best of luck back in UK.

I have a KK 80q now and it is interesting to drive compared to the 1 WR and 3 KV engined cars I've had before. THe KV has very good torque esp around 2500rpm, but doesn't like it much over 4000rpm, though a an improved duct into the airbox and removal of the "snorkel" can help here. The KK on the other hand sounds more like the WR (same bore/stroke, 2144cc) and has a more aggressive cam. While it has slightly less torque down low, it is good over 3000rpm and revs out nicely and feels really eager. It is slightly less economical than the KV though.

davidw

Hi Mike, sorry I wasn't around long enough to catch up with you.  I've read many of your posts and a few articles in Audi Driver.

Would you say you like the KK better than the KV?  I remember Tim Styles (formerly of TSR Performance) saying the KK quattro was his favourite Audi.  I used to own a 1984 GT5E in NZ.  To this day I'm not sure which engine it had - KV or KE.  Whatever it was, it is still my favourite engine, more fun even than the RR.  Great low speed torque, smooth and quiet when cruising, delightfully raucous on full throttle, a bit ragged and out of breath at the top end.  Does this sound like a KV?  I wish I knew what it was, as I want another one!  Perhaps someone on here knows the car.  It was silver on an N plate (ex UK) with the flat front grill but single piece headlamps and ronal wheels (a kind of transition model).

Mike

David,

It is hard to say, but I think I do like the KK better than the KV but it is a close-run thing. It is definitely smoother, and the sound reminds me of the WR. It needs to be revved more due to the max torque being developed at 4500 rpm instead of the KV's 3500, as with the KV you can overtake quite happily without changing down out of 5th. I quite enjoy the more urgent character of the KK, how it revs out to 6000rpm nicely, and the rally car type "pop-pop-pop" from the exhaust on the over-run which sounds really cool. The KV demands a more relaxed driving style and changing up early. Caning it is not rewarding as it sounds a bit coarse if treated like this.

Yes, your description sounds like a KV, but might equally be the 2-litre JS model often found in the FWD Coupes which is very similar but with 115bhp instead of 136. 

I've seen a couple of cars like that. I'll keep an eye out. Several Type 81/85 cars seem to have been imported from the UK. They, and other similar models, turn up reasonably regularly on Trade Me. FConsidering how many were sold new it is amazing what is still around.

Andy100S4

Well, guess what. Davidw is my bro and I bought the car off him myself in 2006-7 after it sat in my garage for a while. Couldn't resist! ;)

Sadly I am selling it now (it seems a crime to let it go) but I'm on a fixed income now and can't expense the running costs to a business. I think it's still a great car.

For listings see: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=733376930&ed=true

For more photos and info see: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1_jVvdRHoDHdFFaWGFWU1huYWs&usp=sharing