1.8T engine serviced - goop type added

Started by dimistyle, February 24, 2005, 03:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dimistyle

Had my Passat serviced last week, I complained about the oil leak at the back of the head and the noisy tappets from cold start-up. :(

Also 2 stuffed CVs, but that another story >:(

I have an extended warrantee with AutoSure who covered the gaskets etc to fix the oil leaks and they were going to do all 20 Tappets but before they can go ahead the service agent has to put some GOOP to de-carb the lifters and run the for 1000Kms before they will sign off the complete replacement.

Anybody had experience with upper head lube to cure the tappet noise ??? GOOP = Proma MBL8

I'm interested to know if it will help, or just do the 1000Kms and take it back to do the work.

dubstar

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

dimistyle

Thanks, just waiting for the 100kms now. If it works the mechanic will continue to use it on other vehicle they service. :D

hitmanGTI

Pristle

Proma is a sworn product, sadly available to the trade only. It's essential to follow the instructions (not normallly a guy thing I know, but they tell me it's essential), however despite this it won't provide a permanent solution.

Our son's mechie buddies chucked some in his '86 90Q before he headed off on his OE (Otago Experience) back in April. He said that the rattles quietened down by the time he got to the Bombays and stayed away until Wanganui on his way back some ?4500 kms later, but they've never returned as badly. Even now they're not too noticeable unless engine is cold.

I managed to get my hands on a bottle, and as soon as time permits will be using some on my '85 80.

P.

dimistyle

Well after the Proma GOOP was added , there was a noticeable difference, but sadly the noise has returned and back to the workshop it goes ,20 X shims/tappets to be replaced. Under extended warrantee. ;)

was worth a go, a lot cheaper for the service agent.... ::)