A3 + MTM Chip...

Started by Ssom, October 28, 2006, 12:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ssom

I suppose this could apply to any 1.8T engine BUT....  As far as reliability is concerned, how harmful are MTM chips on the 1.8T motors in the long run? 

I've been looking at A3 1.8T's on trademe and it seems that all the ones that meet my criteria (3 dr, manual, NZ New) are MTM tweaked ones, I have heard that these chips are not exactly kind to the motors though, is this the case?

5-pot

I think that depends on how much heavier your right foot is compared with your brain.  If you're nice to the car, the car is nice to you (in terms of bills, etc).  But that's my rather naive, narrowminded view of the subject. 

I have no brain at all at times.  My foot just seems to have a mind of it's own...  :police:

but maybe the chip tweaks ignition timing, etc which may affect engine life but I'd imagine that would be associated with throttle position... 
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

Turbo

Quote from: Ssom on October 28, 2006, 12:17:46 PM
I suppose this could apply to any 1.8T engine BUT....  As far as reliability is concerned, how harmful are MTM chips on the 1.8T motors in the long run? 

I've been looking at A3 1.8T's on trademe and it seems that all the ones that meet my criteria (3 dr, manual, NZ New) are MTM tweaked ones, I have heard that these chips are not exactly kind to the motors though, is this the case?

should be fine. turbo life can be decreased, but generally mtm stage 1 chips keep everything within manufacturer's safety levels.

they have been known to make the a/f ratio quite lean, but as long as there's not detonation you should be sweet. besides, if you did get a stock 1.8t, you'll soon be shopping for a chip.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

djrisk

MTM claims the life of the engine is not compromised and all thier parts are thoroughly tested....
Hmmm ???
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

Trofeo

I'd heard the rumors of them running lean too, however when i put mine on the dyno it was fine - in fact a lot better than some of the other "chipped" S3s.

As for engine reliability, mine's done almost a 100kms and not a single thing has failed or shown signs of failing except for the MAF sensor (will fail on every 1.8T at some stage).

Best thing is to go and drive them and you'll quickly see which ones have been abused - standard and modified. Also speak to the dealership that has serviced them and generally they know the cars and will give you the history.

Personally i feel the standard 1.8T engines are hardly sporting and they require at least another 30HP if not 50HP to make them move as they should. Any more though, and wheelspin becomes an issue in a 2WD without traction control.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

hitmanGTI

lol.. yeah sure.. youll blow up your engine with a chip..... in the specefied lifetime of the engine any way lol.. they arent that harsh lol.. its not like youll be pulling EVO like HP

the 1.8t blocks are as Solid as Rock.. on Standard internals they are good for 350Horses..

have fun blowing one up while your only running a K03 or K04 Turbo..  unless your running really high boost (which is kinda hard cos they are only small and the turbo would blow before the motor)

or the other way you could destroy it is lean right out and drive flat out down the desert road in the middle of winter..

the MTM leaning out thing is bollocks its just individual Chip Tuners nipping at eachothers ankles.. and fueling being incorrect is usually because there is issues underlying else where (ie blocked fuel filter, injectors) or what ever

they all tune a little differently ie they can leave the turbo to come in way later.. or they can have it running on boost at idle.. doesnt matter its however they tune their maps..

the MK5 GTI has a VAG COM option that will close the wastegate at IDLE and run 1 bar of boost through the intake to assist in finding vaccume leaks.. cool huh!!!

but yeah in regards to engine life.. like any engine.. regular oil changes (good quality synthetic) good filters..  (some peopel have some real dips**t opinions on filters and should really think about what they are saying before they open their mouth.. but for somereason 98% think they know more than anton and everyone else) dont thrash it day in and day out cos then of course it will break. i mean duh think about it

Race Cars have engines rebuilt all the time.. yet the engines are built and designed for racing..

so go figure.. if you thrash your"Road" car every where it WILL break!!!!

My recomendation dude.. is find a nice standard example with low K's.. NZ New nothing toyed with on it..
Drive it ensure its in good working nick..

after purchase do the following (esp if its 1.8t) (these are all cheap items and are well worth doing) (with exeption to the Cam belt)

- If your Car is at 80,000KMS Get all the Belts tensioners and pulleys replaced (1500 total at some places)
- Get all fluids Changed (Eng Oil, GB Oil)
- Filters refreshed (Fuel Filter, Oil Filter)
- Buy a 710N Diverter Valve or a Aftermarket Forge one
   (as the standard 1.8t ones Crap out) the 710N is a OEM part which superseeded the original ones prone to failing)
- Get the Car Dynoed (Get A/F, Boost Measured)

If that checks out ok and your Clutch is in good nick then by all means get a Chip Installed.
VASK has serveral Options with regards to Chipping

SuperChips
or Chiptuning

oh and dont start dicking with your exhaust unless you want to empty your wallet unnecessarily and give yourself a unwanted headache.

Audidude

Dang!! I find myself agreeing with most of what Anton's said - is this a first?? :)

I had an '00 S3 with MTM chip. That one was VERY quick onto boost and kicked like a mule - exciting but engine needed new short block after 12 months and EMD were not at all forthcoming as to why it sounded like a loose piston and drank oil like a fish. All under their warranty so hats off to them. Word was then that MTM overboosted briefly to get the nice kick.

My next S3 had an Oettinger chip (again via dealer with full warranty). Far nicer torque curve and smooth like standard only much stronger. I would go Oettinger again no question. Around Taupo both cars were identical despite different character.

If you chip you WILL screw your clutch if you launch hard. Don't. You don't need to and it's very expensive.

Cheers
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior