Now the 100 has been sold....

Started by 1oldAudi, November 14, 2006, 05:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1oldAudi

i have a couple of tools i made that might be of interest to other backyarders who have 'ole 100s and need to keep 'em alive. The 1st is an extended hex nut drive to allow you to remove the shock cartridge from the top of either front struts without having to jack the car up, taking the strut out etc. Basically you work from inside the engine bay.

The other is an engine locking tool that lets you stop the crank rotating so you can undo that HUGE and TIGHT lower pulley crank bolt without fear of breking the crank (with a rattle gun, or tearing those tiny teeth off ring-gear by jamming screwdrivers in there) and do a CAMBELT CHANGE.

Both tools are 'KIWI' copies of the genuine thing. Not pretty but they work.

If anyone is interested please ask me to post a piccie and you can decide if you can give 'em a home...

Cost? If you're willing to pay the price i paid for the tensile hex bolt, they're yours... ($20)

Cheers, Pete

Duncan

Would the crank pulley tool suit a 90Q (KV engine)?

Look anything like this:
http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/crank-lock.htm

chch90Q from this thread:
http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,4801.0.html

is looking for one. And may be cheaper to buy yours than to ship mine back to Auckland.
Just a thought..!

Duncan

orggti

Actually I would buy those tools if you dont want them chch90Q or if you want to sell them after you use them let me know. Tho Im not sure if 1oldaudi visits here any more?

cml52

sorry, and yes, i would like to buy them, but i'm intending to share it to all vasker. as long as they return , or i'm happy to sell it after i have finished them.

1oldAudi

will get some decent photos up on the site as soon as i've chance.

Basically i've machined a chunk of steel shaft that inserts into the pully and has a hole through it that clears the socket need needed to drive the bolthead.

Onto this steel insert a 1/4" thick steel plate bolts with 3x 8mm bolts. The engine needs to be turned over to line up a bolt hole in the block to insert a long hex drive bolt through the plate, ana a standoff i've made.

orggti

I would like to keep them after you have used them chch90 as I work as a mechanic and will use them on and off, I would also share with other Vaskers tho. If you want to keep them thats fine too tho as i can always make myself one.

cml52

good news, i took the crankshaft bolt off yesterday , wasn't too bad, as long as you have the right tool. will post some photo on web later, so orggti , you can have the tool.

Pushbutton_auto

so what was the right tool ?        :police:
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

cml52

"right tool" means something which is purposely made to fit that crankroller.
i used a 2x2 inch square pipe

orggti

1oldAudi

OK here's a link to a better quality version of a picture of the tools. Remember they work so the fact they are not pretty is secondary! Link______

http://tinyurl.com/yy5hwg

orggti

Can I get them off you? Im happy to pay $20 and the postage or I can pick up in auckland. They look fine.

1oldAudi

orggti

Thanks  :) send me a pm or let me know how i can get them and pay you.

orggti

Hi thanks I have received them now they look good. do you think i should shorten the three bolts so they do up tight? or do they need to be loose like that?
Also could you explain or somehow show in photos or something how exactly the other strut replacement tool works. I cant figure it out how the hell you could replace a strut insert without taking the whole thing out? Look forward to your reply and thanks for sending them and making them available so cheap. 

1oldAudi

Hi orggti... Yes, shorten the three bolts or better, turn them into studs so the plate can drop over them with the insert located into the lower pulley. I never got around to that... Have three M8 nuts might to hand too to pop on once the plate aligns. The idea is to use a big socket on the bolt you want to undo to turn the engine over enough (sparkplugs are all out) so the plate long bolt end (and standoff) lines up with a hole in the block at around 11 oclock position... it's usually the upper alternator mount and i remove the long bolt that there) in relation to the inserts 3 bolts... Some place i have a picture, i'll try to find.

The front strutt tool: This one fits the 100, (the 80s are a smaller retainer, so won't fit). LEAVE THE CAR ON THE GROUND and CHOCK its wheels. ie no need to jack it up because its own weight is being used to compress the strutt springs. In the engine bay, mark the location of upper suspension top-plates to bodywork/ 3 studs so when it goes back the wheel alignment is not way off. Undo the central nut of the shaftend of the shock cartridge.  Undo the 3 nuts and remove the whole plate, do not lose any washers.

It will probably pay to remove the bonnet for clearance reasons (not a biggy but mark it on the hinges).... The tool now drops down over the shock shaft, (larger braised-on nut uppermost). You will probablly need to 'jiggle things' and rock the shock shaft but the small end-hex should locate itself into the cupped threaded cartridge retainer quite obviously and satisfyingly. Undo the whole rig, using a large spanner on the upper braised-on nut. Withdraw the complete contraption, tool, retainer and cartridge. The tool will let you tighten the new cartridge retainer of course.

DON'T MOVE THE STEERING or the CAR with the top plates off because the wheel alignment will go right off.

Hope this helps...

orggti

Kind of helps thanks. You must still need to undo the big coller holding the strut insert onto the strut through the springs tho dont you?

1oldAudi

No because this is what this tool is for.... on a 100. It fits into the shock cartridge retainer that threads into the top of the strut.

The car's weight is compressing the strut spring and once you have undone the three nuts holding the Upper Strut Mounting Plate and the large nut on the end of the shock cartridge SHAFT and removed it, you can see all the way clear down to the top of the cartridge retainer. When i did the cartridges on mine they were so totally shagged, both shafts dropped right down into the cartridge!

Make 100% sure you mark the Upper Strut Mounting Plate position or you completely louse up wheel alignment...

I still have the ENTIRE service manual for the 100 series car. I bought it on CDROM from the USA but it was a once-load and since my comp had a rebuild they will not provide another activation code! (USD$100 down the drain....)

Lucky though that when it WAS working i extracted ALL the .pdf files. You just have to go looking for the subject yourself using Explore etc, not the smarts that used to manage them for an easier approach.

It details EVERYTHING from original microfiche repair manuals. (Want to do a trans rebuild? This is what you need)....

So if you'd like (this version) servicemanual for the 100series,  let me know Orggti not that i am promoting any violation of copywrite...

Cheers Pete.