$3,500 service!

Started by mach1, November 21, 2006, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mach1

Hi all,

just having a whinge as us poms like to do.

Took my wifes car into qualitat for warrant and full service.

Would try to do some of it myself but i'm so busy at work its not funny, hence the lack of visits and posts.

rough price $3500

1.   2no. cv joint covers
2.   New Windscreen
3.   Full Service
4.   Part for Exhaust (leaking emissions has to come in from Germany)
5.   Seat guides
6.   Front Bearings
7.   Steering rack rod! something like that
8.   New clutch and cable
9.   New seat belt for driver side
10. fit back shoes (provided)

not whinging at qualitat just gutted about price, still i suppose this is the price you pay for having older cars, once its done the car should be mechanically perfect.

My Mk1 one is looking good now with Bonrath fibreglass front spoiler, lowered 60mm interior pretty much done just need to get back seats re covered to match front ones and to complete a respray but not a major at moment. Took it out the weekend after going through the w.o.f first time to do its first 10 miles for over 6 months. It ran beautifully and allready planning a few rides over summer (work permitting, if anyone knows any good Carpenters, tilers, blocklayers in the west auckland region can they P.M me).

Hoping to get the windscreen through insurance fingers crossed.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: mach1 on November 21, 2006, 09:55:15 PM
Hi all,

just having a whinge as us poms like to do.

Took my wifes car into qualitat for warrant and full service.

Would try to do some of it myself but i'm so busy at work its not funny, hence the lack of visits and posts.

rough price $3500

1.   2no. cv joint covers
2.   New Windscreen
3.   Full Service
4.   Part for Exhaust (leaking emissions has to come in from Germany)
5.   Seat guides
6.   Front Bearings
7.   Steering rack rod! something like that
8.   New clutch and cable
9.   New seat belt for driver side
10. fit back shoes (provided)

not whinging at qualitat just gutted about price, still i suppose this is the price you pay for having older cars, once its done the car should be mechanically perfect.

My Mk1 one is looking good now with Bonrath fibreglass front spoiler, lowered 60mm interior pretty much done just need to get back seats re covered to match front ones and to complete a respray but not a major at moment. Took it out the weekend after going through the w.o.f first time to do its first 10 miles for over 6 months. It ran beautifully and allready planning a few rides over summer (work permitting, if anyone knows any good Carpenters, tilers, blocklayers in the west auckland region can they P.M me).

Hoping to get the windscreen through insurance fingers crossed.

Thats crazy!
You surely have windscreen cover with your Insurance? If you dont its worth it, it only costs and extra $15.00 or so a year.

If I was you Id take the car to Jem.

What part of the exhaust needs to come from Germany? Sounds strange to me, these are old cars they dont need anything fitted for emissions ???

What are the seat guides?

Seems like alot of money to me.

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

mach1

we do have insurance so ringing up tommorow. The seat guides are the small white  plastic clip on bits that fit to the runners to take up the play, they only cost $4-5 so not much.

Again could do it myself but really do not have time, yes agree could of asked jem but it was easier to get wife to drop it off to qualitat. was not expecting the above cost  :'(.

considering i paid $3800 for it over a year ago now, it is a nice looking car though allways had my doubts about the mechanical side of things though!.

And before you say it Nik i'm not going to sell the harley to fund it. If i do that it will be to get a Ducati nothing with four wheels.

Is yours back on road? as i say i have not been keeping up with things on Vask

Pristle

I've learnt, never take your car to a repair company for a warrant. Spend $40 at VTNZ and you get a list of what ACTUALLY needs doing.

Mr. Exhaust in Selwyn St. in Onehunga will resolve you emission issue for a fraction of the price.

Period_Correct_

lol... with my car, ive learnt not to go to VTNZ...

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Pristle on November 21, 2006, 11:20:39 PM
Mr. Exhaust in Selwyn St. in Onehunga will resolve you emission issue for a fraction of the price.

Dean at Mr Muffler not Mr Exhaust??
or have they changed names since i have last been...

Pristle

cpncrash

Insert Quote
lol... with my car, ive learnt not to go to VTNZ...

What happend to you at VTNZ??? I have always found they have been pret good.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Pristle on November 22, 2006, 09:19:05 AM
Sorry Anton, my bad.

lol all is good... it just be funny when someone couldnt for the life of them find Mr. Exhaust any where!

Pristle

VTNZ. Always leave one 'apparent fault'. They tend to focus on that, and bypass the rest. You go away and fix the 'apparent fault', take it back and then you get a sticker.

My Audi went with a crack in the windscreen and the headlight (which I hadn't noticed), they ignored the fraying seat belt and the belt ends under the back seat. My Wingroad, broken foglamp and park light relay, windscreen washer and weak tailgate struts were ignored.

Incidentally, always shave the fluffy frays on your seatbelt (wife's razor??), often they'll be picky about them when they can't find anything else.

bigbumper

Thats funny, I always get my WOFs from VTNZ Parnell and never have any problems.  The best one was when I took the Abarth there for its last WOF, the guy came out and said "all done, its passed - but by the way did you know that your carbs are leaking fuel down the front of the engine?".   :o ;D

Simple fix but I would have thought that was cause for a WOF fail if ever I heard one....

rambo_005

Quote from: bigbumper on November 23, 2006, 10:11:27 AM
Thats funny, I always get my WOFs from VTNZ Parnell and never have any problems.  The best one was when I took the Abarth there for its last WOF, the guy came out and said "all done, its passed - but by the way did you know that your carbs are leaking fuel down the front of the engine?".   :o ;D

Simple fix but I would have thought that was cause for a WOF fail if ever I heard one....

haha nice one!

hitmanGTI

I went there once with a whole lot of stuff wrong spent the whole time explaining why things were wrong..

at the end he asked me if i wanted it passed or not  lolz

orggti

Turbo

they failed me once for misaligned headlights. looked real smug about it too. till i jumped in and dialed up the head light angle on the dash and told him to say 'when'.

tried to find other stuff wrong after that, but i had solutions for everything except being illegally low.
just went somewhere else after that and got it passed straight away.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

hitmanGTI

lol..

most of them if the headlights are not aligned..

they can adjust themm

i always get them to adjust them for me...

Salty

I passed at Parnell, but was told to adjust the headlight when I got home.. he was an old cat and he pulled me aside and said "Now, in reality the headlight is better out of line because it is alot easier to spot the ladies on the sidewalk".
Now in air cooled. '70 fastback 1835 turbo
2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI
2013 Triumph Street triple R

hitmanGTI

yeah they are good critters there!