A4 1.8 T Quattro Le-Mans performance/specs

Started by 106_racecar, November 22, 2006, 08:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

106_racecar

Does anyone know what the specs are of the A4 1.8 T Quattro Le-Mans? 

Does it handle/perform better/worse than the normal B5 A4 or newer B6 A4?
2007 Golf GTI

beeker

Quote from: 106_racecar on November 22, 2006, 08:39:53 PM
Does anyone know what the specs are of the A4 1.8 T Quattro Le-Mans? 

Does it handle/perform better/worse than the normal B5 A4 or newer B6 A4?

I still have one. Was mine for 3 years, then gave to the wife. She wont let me sell it. 

Hanldes better than any B5 A4's or S4's and the B6 A4's as well. Great little car and fun to chuck around. Comes with Quattro GmbH suspension (Sach).

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

106_racecar

Thats interesting I would have thought that the S4 was more focused and therefore the better handler.  Does the car come standard with the MTM stage1 chip?
2007 Golf GTI

hitmanGTI

the 1.8t will handle better every time

less weight over past the front wheels

Audi are really good at seating the engine really far forwards

enter V6 S4.. Queue Understeer!

there is a Video of a Audi quattro of some description doing drifts.. when off throttle all he does is under steer :)

beeker

Quote from: 106_racecar on November 23, 2006, 12:07:42 PM
Thats interesting I would have thought that the S4 was more focused and therefore the better handler.  Does the car come standard with the MTM stage1 chip?

As Anton said, less weight at the front = better balance.

Off memory the Lemans gets extra: MTM Stage 1 chip, older style S4 seats (pre recaro), Quatro GmbH suspenion, 17" alloys, white dash dials, silver trim on dash/door, boot spoiler, 1/2 leather (unless full taken), The alloy suspension arms of the late B5 A4 cars, i remember the brochure saying something about sports steering but never qualified that. immm, thats all i remember. Mine also has full factory and coloured body kit, BBS RC's, Miltek rear exhaust. Took out the middle as was too noisy for the wife, and took out the miltek DP as that made it LOOSE!! power.

14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

106_racecar

Thanks for the reply's, I had seen a 2001 at CCS for $26k and thought it might be interesting.  Unfortunately it has now sold.  They still have a Imola Yellow S4, I'm just not sure about that colour, it probably attracts all the wrong attention from Boy racers and the boys in blue?!!  Also, i'm still not sure about the added mechanical complexity of the S4 ...
2007 Golf GTI

beeker

Quote from: 106_racecar on November 23, 2006, 07:36:20 PM
Thanks for the reply's, I had seen a 2001 at CCS for $26k and thought it might be interesting.  Unfortunately it has now sold.  They still have a Imola Yellow S4, I'm just not sure about that colour, it probably attracts all the wrong attention from Boy racers and the boys in blue?!!  Also, i'm still not sure about the added mechanical complexity of the S4 ...

Both would be nice cars, except i think that S4 is a 1999? Which means an early one. They had a few problems like narrow oil feeds to the turbos that were fixed on the 2000+
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

qta4

go for post 2k S4
i would have have real cause for augument with anyone who had opinion re poor handling of a car like mine
2k1 s4 with mtm chip and bilstein suspension. Any poor impressions would only have credibility if one lived exclusively on german autobahn..

Most of us live in New Zealand and dollar for dollar these cars are a real bargain.
In a few years they will be classed as classic AUDI must haves.
Even with handling.

I have recently owned 1.8t avant quattro B5 then bought S4
Chalk and cheese is how i would describe power and handling.
Lots of weight over front wheels,,,,, sure  as f*&k  isnt obvious to me
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

Dubious

Comparing my previous '01 S4 to my current '00 A4 TQ Sport is like chalk and cheese. The S4 was more of an autobahn cruiser, with truckloads of torque and wafty boatlike suspension. The A4 feels much much tighter on the corners and loves to rev to the redline.  I miss the recaros and the turbine sound of the V6TT, but the A4 costs a fraction of the price to own and operate.
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

106_racecar

Quote from: Dubious on November 24, 2006, 10:12:55 AM
Comparing my previous '01 S4 to my current '00 A4 TQ Sport is like chalk and cheese. The S4 was more of an autobahn cruiser, with truckloads of torque and wafty boatlike suspension. The A4 feels much much tighter on the corners and loves to rev to the redline.  I miss the recaros and the turbine sound of the V6TT, but the A4 costs a fraction of the price to own and operate.
That is very interesting that you say that the S4 costs less to own/operate than the S4.  I have been trying to decide whether to go for the A4 or S4 for a little while now and have tried to gauge the cost differential between the two models but I haven't had any $$ values mentioned.  Perhaps you can shed some light in this?  Do you have the LM version or just the standard A4QT?
2007 Golf GTI

hitmanGTI

the 1.8t block is relativly Bullet proof...

Timing belt is a must.. but if done you have nothing to worry about.. everything else on my golf has broken but the engine has not shown a sign of giving up

the V6 are always a funny motor.. ORGGTI hates them..

the S6 will always b quicker.. but the A4s in my opinion will always be the little more resiliant to wear and tear..

in saying that.. that sjust my opinion.. i dont own either..

Dubious

Quote from: 106_racecar on November 24, 2006, 11:12:31 AM
That is very interesting that you say that the S4 costs less to own/operate than the S4.  I have been trying to decide whether to go for the A4 or S4 for a little while now and have tried to gauge the cost differential between the two models but I haven't had any $$ values mentioned.  Perhaps you can shed some light in this?  Do you have the LM version or just the standard A4QT?

Mine's a Quattro Sport, which came with the same 132kw motor as the LM, slightly different 17" wheels and a rear spoiler. It also has woodgrain trim rather than silver, as well as the non-Recaro S4 seats without the alcantara inserts of the LM. Not sure about the suspension differences (if any) from the standard TQ.

I got my A4 for $19k with 89kms on the clock. A 2000 S4 would cost you anywhere from around $30k to mid-40s, which is just the start. My S4 cost 3x as much to insure and used about 3L/100km more fuel.

As the 1.8T is a much more common engine, you're also likely to find new and second hand parts a fair whack cheaper than those for an S4. 
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

106_racecar

Quote from: Dubious on November 24, 2006, 02:48:25 PM
Mine's a Quattro Sport, which came with the same 132kw motor as the LM, slightly different 17" wheels and a rear spoiler. It also has woodgrain trim rather than silver, as well as the non-Recaro S4 seats without the alcantara inserts of the LM. Not sure about the suspension differences (if any) from the standard TQ.

I got my A4 for $19k with 89kms on the clock. A 2000 S4 would cost you anywhere from around $30k to mid-40s, which is just the start. My S4 cost 3x as much to insure and used about 3L/100km more fuel.

As the 1.8T is a much more common engine, you're also likely to find new and second hand parts a fair whack cheaper than those for an S4. 
So why did you sell the S4, surely not due to fuel and insurance costs alone? 

With regards to the Le-Mans, it looks like its main differences are the silver dash and better suspension ...

With regard to the purchase costs, you can get S4's in the 25-35k range from what I can see now.
2007 Golf GTI

Turbo

Quote from: 106_racecar on November 24, 2006, 11:12:31 AM

i've had both at the same time. (both weren't stock though - A4 = mtm chip, catback exhaust, bilstein susp, eibach springs, sway bar. S4 = mtm chip)
i sometimes miss the go kart handling of the A4, but would never go back. the sheer power of the S4 is worth the trade off (besides, it's easy to to the same mods to get close to the same handling)
the stock A4's i've driven wouldn't even compare to my old one (handling wise), and the S4 is in no way a slouch.
i think it's a big call to say the A4 is so much better at handling than the S4 that it's even a consideration in purchase.
stock vs stock. S4 every time.
the cost of running it day to day is much more similar than i would have thought, it's pretty economical for a very quick car with a heavy footed driver. last tank was 350km of town driving. i used to get around that figure with the A4. the torque of the S4 means you can run the car at low revs and still be getting decent power. the A4 requires you to use the accelerator as a switch, either on or off.

NB. get a 3rd party warranty and mechanical issues won't be a factor in the decision.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

beeker

Boys, I drive both every week. I drive the A4 lemans which has std Quattro GmbH suspension and a RS4 with the optional Quattro GmbH suspension. The A4 is better balanced in the corners (its a front end engine weight issue), not saying its faster though. I enjoy driving both, but tight twisty stuff i would probably take the lemans more, better low down torque and the ability to chuck it, even if the RS4 may be faster on the same roads. However longer higher speed roads (100kph), the RS4 every time.

We're looking for a bigger car for next year to replace the A4, but I?ll be dammed if I can?t find one as good (fun, handling, practical, looks), even adding another 40% $$.
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Turbo

Quote from: beeker on November 24, 2006, 05:36:31 PM
... probably take the lemans more, better low down torque ...

S4 has better lower down torque than both doesn't it?
qta4 knows the stats better than me.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

beeker

Quote from: Turbo on November 24, 2006, 06:33:42 PM
S4 has better lower down torque than both doesn't it?
qta4 knows the stats better than me.

Between 2k>3.5k RPM, a chipped S4 would more over all of them (except chipped RS4) . Over a std s4, chipped A4 would have more / same.
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

beeker

Quote from: 106_racecar on November 23, 2006, 07:36:20 PM

What did the lemans sell for ? how many kms ?
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

qta4

We regularly get better than 10l/100k with MTMS4,previous 1.8t quattro avant wasnt any better.

Sure the 1.8t wasnt chipped but i would suggest better economy with S4.
The mtm chipped S4 has better torque than standard RS4.

RS4 has more power standard than chipped S4 but its torque that matters.
500nm torque at 2200 revs makes for effortless driving, we just love it.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

106_racecar

Quote from: beeker on November 24, 2006, 08:11:43 PM
What did the lemans sell for ? how many kms ?
They were asking $26k for a silver car with 96000kms.  I'm not sure what they actually got for it.
2007 Golf GTI