Rev limiters for K-Jet cars

Started by nordschleife, November 30, 2006, 09:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nordschleife

Last night I gave my car the 'once over' in preparation for a track day on Friday.  I replaced the plugs, distubutor cap, rotor, couple of gear linkage bushes and gave everything a pretty good check over as well as a clean.  Once I had finished I took it for a quick spin to make sure everything was OK. 

Everything works well except for the rev limiter.  Instead of hitting the limiter and bouncing off it momentarily the engine dies until the revs have dropped by about 500rpm and then surges back to the red line.  I've had this problem once before but I thought the rotor was just a dud so I chucked it in my other GTI that hardly gets driven.  Now that it has happened twice in a row it has got me thinking whether they might be making them this way on purpose.  Nik also has a limiter like this.

Anyone know if they are intentionally making them this way now or am I just unlucky and have a dud?  Also, is there any way to fix it so that it works like a normal limiter?  The rotor is made by Bosch.

Cheers

Matt
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
BMW ///M5 - Previous Car and looking for another - F10 LCI
Octavia vRS Combi - Wife's Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

Cynic

Replace the rev limiter rotor arm with a normal one.  You'll know when to change gear when you hear the valves bounce!

nordschleife

Quote from: Cynic on November 30, 2006, 01:30:44 PM
Replace the rev limiter rotor arm with a normal one.  You'll know when to change gear when you hear the valves bounce!

If you have ever heard my car you will know this is not possible let alone ideal!
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

orggti

Quote from: nordschleife on November 30, 2006, 05:25:30 PM
If you have ever heard my car you will know this is not possible let alone ideal!
why?
They are a very crude limiter being just a cetrifugal weight that is held back by a spring that ends up shorting out the spark at about 7000 rpm. Just make sure it moves smoothly and its as good as it gets and yea they can be a bit sticky like that.
I would do as cynic says and bin the limiter rotor and just dont over rev it, if you miss a gear its not the ignition making it over rev anyway.
I have binned all my ones like that.

nordschleife

Because its so loud you can't hear anything bar the exhaust!
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

Pristle

Then what you want is a boy-racer guage with a bright orange gear change light on it...... ;)

hitmanGTI

you can just buy a shift light or get one of those LED Tacho things with shift light that beeker has in his race car..

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Anton on December 01, 2006, 07:13:33 AM
you can just buy a shift light or get one of those LED Tacho things with shift light that beeker has in his race car..

I purchased Matt an LED shiftlight like Gregs for his birthday, unfortunately and according to Gissmo it wont work in the Mk1 GTI.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

hitmanGTI

just take the Tach Signal off the Spark Plugs!
make up a harness.. if you dont know how

Noel qta4 knows how.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Anton on December 01, 2006, 07:53:56 AM
just take the Tach Signal off the Spark Plugs!
make up a harness.. if you dont know how

Noel qta4 knows how.

Noel is going to be at the Track Day today so Matt and I can have a chat with him.

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on December 01, 2006, 07:58:37 AM
Noel is going to be at the Track Day today so Matt and I can have a chat with him.

yeah

thats how he got the tacho working one his MK1 20vt

took a pulse signal off the sparks..

qta4

i didnt take signal from plugs, i made up a buffer effectively using all pulses from the input to the ignition amplifier, effectively tha same result as original system.
The inputs to ignition amplifier are grounded by ecu, so i fed 12v through a 1k resistor to 4 diodes, 1n4007 or similar, when ecu caused input to ground it effectively forward biased diodes generating a pulse train, this was input to old tacho circuit. And it works great. value about 80c
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

robh

wow, you lost me at hello, I thought my mate was smart that helped me wire up my Link, but this is even geekier :)
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

Rossi

How do you tell if your rotor is a rev limiter one or not?  I don't think mine is. I've never hit the limiter anyway, even though it pulls strongly at the top end (7000) thanks to the schrick cams.
2001 S4 Avant.
Corrado 16v - BR Motorsport ported KR 1.8l head with 284deg schrick cams, 9A 2.0l block, Milltek headers, K&N filter, 40mm lowered on PI springs/Boge shocks + VR6 strut mounts, front poly bushes, 280mm G60 front discs, 16" Porsche replica mags.

orggti

The limiter one is bigger a nd rounder than a normal rotor with a spring and a piece of metal that gets centrifugally thrown out and earths the spark. There crap.