Quattro drivers +

Started by Pushbutton_auto, January 03, 2005, 07:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pushbutton_auto

Can any body tell me about their experience driving a 100/200  Quattro ? I love my car a 100, and I was wondering about driving a q the same shape and style as mine !  :)
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

Pushbutton_auto

Excellent, now how can you gauge the life in a quattro system, and what is likely to fail expensively?  I see the chch Audi q in trade me has done 256,000, would it be worth buying a q with that many miles on it and how would you check a quattro system ?

Pushbutton_auto

Well, mention the name and out they pop, after months of no quattros there are now 3 in trade me, though they are all the small shapes. Scott's  ' E '  is still the only 200 q that I have seen and I aint got that close to it YET. I think the next best thing will be to start test driving all the q's that come up for sale and then try and find a 200 tq at a later date.  How would they handle the racetrack ? The feeling i get in my 100 at a 100 +  on the motorway is great, but slowing for tight corners on a track, that would be a little weird.  Anyone taking a 100 / 200 to Taupo ?

1.8t

Quote from: urq20v on January 03, 2005, 09:11:38 PM
I used to own Scotts (0000) 200tq Avant which I drove for quite a few years.Most 200tqs and many 100qs that came to NZ were turbocharged,so first up they are quite a bit faster than a 100 2wd despite the extra weight of the 4wd system.The suspension is more sports orientated,meaning a bit harder,so there is less body roll.The best thing of all,which all quattro owners will know,is the amazing grip in all driving conditions.Driving on a slipery road in a 200 quattro will amaze you,and you will most likely never want to drive a 2wd 100 again.The only drawback with the 200tq is understeer in tight corners.As with all 5 cylinder quattros (and 2wd),the engine hangs entirely ahead of the front axles,a lot of weight way out front.There is a correct way to get thru a tight corner in a quattro....slow in,fast out.You can plant your foot much sooner than with 2wd and exit the corner at a higher speed,great on the race track!

Nice!

interesting post!
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

bsting

Been for some laps with Jem(org gti) in his 18yr old 5pot beast around Puke - loved it.

orggti

the quattros can go a million kms if you dont bash up curbs and thrash the crap out of them. theres lots of them still being used as taxis in europe ive heard with 800 and more thousand kms on them. my ones got 230,000 kms and it good as. Its other things that go wrong not the drivetrains.

Pushbutton_auto

Cool, so just normal Audi problems to check first.  Thanks guys. :)

Pushbutton_auto

Are all  Quattros  manuals ?

orggti

yes there is late model quattro autos but not till late 90s, Rex will give you more exacting details

orggti

yea why spoil such a good thing with a auto?