Trying to sell an S3

Started by macca, January 05, 2007, 02:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macca

I have an '02 S3 that I am trying to sell  :( (the missus seems to think that buying a house is much more important, I tried explaining the importance of owning an S3, but she wont buy it).

It has been on TradeMe for about 6 weeks now, originally at $35k, now at $32k, but I'm not getting any bites, except for people who have seen the For Sale sign in the window and phoned up not realising its an S3 not an A3.

Does anyone know a good way of selling it? (other than droping the price by $10k) or anyone who wants to but one...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Audi/auction-80224778.htm

Period_Correct_

try this line.. " love, you can live in a car, but can you drive your house?"
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

hitmanGTI

you will probably only achieve areoun 28,000 for it im guessing

macca

I need to sell it quick or I will have to re-finance, which I really don't want to do.

I don't think the price is too far off, there's an 01 S3 at the Nissan dealer in Newmarket, $30k with 73,000km, in 'look-at-me' yellow and an 04 S3 in Napier, same km as mine going for $43k.

I would be willing to move on the price if I have to though :(

djrisk

Quote from: macca on January 05, 2007, 02:22:06 PM
I have an '02 S3 that I am trying to sell  :( (the missus seems to think that buying a house is much more important, I tried explaining the importance of owning an S3, but she wont buy it).
Get her to ring my missus, she loves houses but not more than the S3. She will soon bring her round :D good luck
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

eddyg

You haven't made things easy for yourself by debadging it. Any chance you can put the S3 badging back? I reckon that would improve your resale. It does look like an A3 to those not in tune with the finer differences between an A3 and S3.

It's this sort of experience when selling a car that makes me not want to sell my car, ever. Especially after spending many 10's of 1000's of dollars on improvements.

I would really like to get one of those new Jag XKs though.. and there isn't room for both it and the S3.

Cheers, Ed.

Audidude

The car probably has a retail value of low to mid 30s. Realistically you could expect a private sale of 28-30 BUT private sales are hard to secure - especially when you have a very small target audience - you are really looking at an enthusiast buying such a car - and they will get a stunning car for the money but few realise that.

And yes to the debadging comment. I can never understand why people do that - it's almost as bad as up-badging a car. The S3 doesn't stand out from the A3 enough as it is (it does to those few in the know) and for the premium a buyer wants it to look as special as possible.

Good luck.
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

macca

OK, have decided to drop the price, again, $29,995 should get some interest hopefully.

Will get the badges back on, can anyone tell me rough measurements of where to place them and where can I get hold of some glue to stick them on with?

hitmanGTI

Quote from: macca on January 07, 2007, 12:57:58 PM
OK, have decided to drop the price, again, $29,995 should get some interest hopefully.

Will get the badges back on, can anyone tell me rough measurements of where to place them and where can I get hold of some glue to stick them on with?

3m Double sided Foam Tape is the best thing for putting badges on the car the really thin stuff.. its really close to what the manufacturers have on the badges originally..

bsting

3M VHB acrylic foam tape #4930

not sure who sells it here though, a good hardware shop?

djrisk

That is an absolute bargain for your car, crap if youd been selling it 4 months earlier i could have saved myself 10k!!!
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

eddyg

The back badge is on the left hand side of the tail gate. The bottom on the badge is in line with the bottom of the light cluster. It is offset 2cm from the left hand side of the tail gate.

The front badge is on the left hand side of the grill (when facing the car), there are two bars beneath it, and three above and one to the left. Best to look at a photo. Doesn't it clip in or something on the front? No tape required.

Cheers, Ed.