Why do S3's have so many owners?

Started by 106_racecar, December 05, 2006, 03:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmay

Quote from: Audidude on December 11, 2006, 05:36:59 PM
Ha ha - we might differ here too - the new GTi is a cracker to drive - informative and responsive. Don't expect such feedback from the new S3 which will be significantly heavier - it will be v quick for sure but I suspect for the Thrill of Driving the GTi might have the edge. The S3 will be beautifully finished and appointed so I guess it depend on what you want and how much you can afford - expect the S3 to run close to $100K  ::)

Remember that the Thrill of Driving has little to do with point to point times but far more to do with how it makes the driver feel about the experience. How much the car talks to the driver and how well the car allows the driver to interact with the road.

Cheers

Sorry yea, when I said the new S3 over the MKV Golf GTi I was referring to the interior etc etc
2001 Porsche Boxster S: Meridian Silver| De-Ambered | De-Snorkled Intake
2003 VW Golf R32 | 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i | 2007 BMW 130i SE MSport | 1999 Honda S2000 | 2003 Mazda RX8 Type-S | 2000 VW Golf GTi | 1998 Mazda MX5 RS

VB

The new GTI didn't look that hot crap on its lap on top gear.

djrisk

I test drove a DSG gti before we got the S3, and i didnt think it was fast at all. Never drove an R32 though...
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

VB

How many s3 owner feel the need to go onto the vw forum and slag off golfs etc? Can't see the need for the reverse to happen.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: djrisk on December 18, 2006, 11:48:16 PM
I test drove a DSG gti before we got the S3, and i didnt think it was fast at all. Never drove an R32 though...

S3 vs Golf GTI - S3 (handling)
S3 vs Golf GTI - GTI (Straight Line)
S3 vs Golf GTI - GTI (Interior)
R32 vs S3 - R32 - (Noise, Handling & Mostly Straight Line with the exception of Steves high out put one)
R32 vs Golf GTI - R32 (Handling , Straight Line, Interior)

In saying that i really like my Golf.. and Watch this space... there may be a Killer GTI MK4 on the loose soon..

djrisk

So what you are saying is i should trade up to a Mk5 R32?? cause i was thinking about it. But i figured when i get my ECU reprogrammed, the S3 would be faster than an R32 anyway (judging by that dyno shootout i saw on here between the A3 3.2 and a chipped S3).
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

hitmanGTI

ummmm...

you would be down grading if you went to mk5 (aesthetically speaking)

i say go mk4 R32 looks better.. and is only 10 HP shy of the new R32...

the S3 Quattros S3  is more powerfull at the wheels with his superchips map than Zipzaps Chiped Cam'd and Exhaust'd R32

S3 - 165kw at the wheels (Chipped and Remus Rear Box and Decatted)

R32 - 158kw at the wheels (Chipped Cam'd, Cat back exhaust no cats)

These dyno results are on the same dyno same day

the S3 pulls like a School boy, the R32 is more refined and linear (prim and proper)

R32's Spring Damper and ARB setup is far superior to that of the S3 even tho the S3 has extra Strengthening

(Tie bars/Strut braces upper and lower)

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Anton on December 20, 2006, 09:57:27 AM
ummmm...

you would be down grading if you went to mk5 (aesthetically speaking)

i say go mk4 R32 looks better.. and is only 10 HP shy of the new R32...

the S3 Quattros S3  is more powerfull at the wheels with his superchips map than Zipzaps Chiped Cam'd and Exhaust'd R32

S3 - 165kw at the wheels (Chipped and Remus Rear Box and Decatted)

R32 - 158kw at the wheels (Chipped Cam'd, Cat back exhaust no cats)

These dyno results are on the same dyno same day

the S3 pulls like a School boy, the R32 is more refined and linear (prim and proper)

R32's Spring Damper and ARB setup is far superior to that of the S3 even tho the S3 has extra Strengthening

(Tie bars/Strut braces upper and lower)

Was this from the VASK dyno day or a later day? What the chip in the R32 sorted at the point of this run?

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

hitmanGTI

boraV5

Quote from: BDmk2 on December 09, 2006, 11:58:19 AM
Whats happened to S3 Qauttro
His must be for sale?,,,,...   lightly salted

Im confused by what lightly salted means?

Im still around.

I prefer the S3 to a MKIV or MKV GTI :-)

And my S3 is quicker in a straight line than a GTI.

rambo_005

Quote from: S3Quattro on December 20, 2006, 03:49:38 PM
Im confused by what lightly salted means?

He was probably referring to you taking your S3 on the beach?! :P

djrisk

Quote from: VB on December 19, 2006, 01:07:12 PM
How many s3 owner feel the need to go onto the vw forum and slag off golfs etc? Can't see the need for the reverse to happen.
I wasnt deliberately slagging off a VW, im just telling you what i found. I couldnt give a crap wheither my car has a VW or an Audi badge (they are the same car anyway), but there is 2 things i do give a crap about.... turbos and not being FWD. since the either VW's cant fill my needs, i got the S3.... ;D
One thing that bugs me about the new R32. Every time i see one, theres an old lady behind the wheel. Sorry guys but that just aint "cool". ::)
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

veedubtom

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

rambo_005

Quote from: djrisk on December 20, 2006, 04:07:49 PM
One thing that bugs me about the new R32. Every time i see one, theres an old lady behind the wheel. Sorry guys but that just aint "cool". ::)

It's a good thing to me, by the time they are in my price range they won't be completely destroyed :P

rambo_005

Quote from: EVLC36 on December 20, 2006, 04:20:14 PM
They're both crap, buy a Merc

What? an A-class with AMG bits? cool... not!

Turbo

Quote from: djrisk on December 20, 2006, 04:07:49 PM
Quote from: VB on December 19, 2006, 01:07:12 PM

I wasnt deliberately slagging off a VW, im just telling you what i found.

i don't think he was referring to you. but the golf owners slagging off s3's (unless i'm mistaken)
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

djrisk

Yeah i figured. But i did bad-mouth the GTI by saying it was slow. ;)
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

rambo_005

I can even things up by saying the S3 looks girly! :o

boraV5

I dont think the S3 looks girly.....maybe a bit on the gay side... but deffinately not girly :-)

and YAY i get my S3 back in 3 hours :-)