'92 100 V6 cruise control

Started by typ53, December 08, 2006, 06:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

typ53

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting the cruise control system in a '92 100 V6? 

Nothing happens when I turn on the Cruise control on the indicator stalk.  It's been this way since I bought the car and I initially thought the old sofa was 'fitted for, but not with'.  However, when I look under the bonnet I can see the vacuum actuator that attaches to the throttle butterfly so I assume that it is actually fitted but I have no idea where to start looking for the rest of the components. Nor indeed what they are.

The Haynes manual devotes 3 unhelpful paragraphs to the subject with no pictures, component locations nor troubleshooting instructions. (Being the intellectual giant that I am I find I'm lost without pictures or SMALL WORDS IN BIG PRINT) :P

So, to the gurus:  Any ideas where to look or to start?
The Fleet:
Orange Roughy:'90 16v Corrado
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring
Still trying to figure out how to get 'em all to fit in a single garage....

orggti

You will just have to be methodical, test for power going to the switch, if the switch lets that power through it etc etc. Maybe the diafram has a hole in it? Faulty relay? Fuse?

typ53

Holy $hit...that's going back awhile...I pulled down a schematic and it turns out that the cruise control system requires the brake lights to be working.  In my case 2 of the 4 tail light clusters are kinda swampy due to cracks and so on = corroded brake light terminals and hopefully the reason that it's no go on the cruise control. 

I'll revisit it when I've found a pair of Jap import 100 center tail lights at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the thought though - what a PITA system to troubleshoot!
The Fleet:
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring

orggti

I just get the bulb holders from a car at pickapart and graft them into the old taillight, and glue up the cracks.

typ53

Good thinking. I feel a trip to Takanini coming on.
The Fleet:
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring