Water pump failure

Started by John Stone, December 13, 2006, 07:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Stone

Not sure what gives here, every I5 Audi coupe I've owned has had water pump failure - and every on has been repaired at Contis...
Now the third w/pump fitted into my current quattro over the last 40k miles appears to have gone the same way.
The engine was rebuilt just before I bought it, the pump failed after about 12k miles and was replaced at Contis, the next one managed 20K miles over 2 years and now the replacement appears to have gone the same way after 6k miles and 1 year.
All but the last pump were the OEM part.
Up till 3 months ago I always used G11 and then G12 Plus.
The cooling system is ever so slightly pressurised due to a hairline crack in the c/head which has never showed up with water in the oil, I've lived with it from day one....crappy rebuild, but don't get me started on that one.
Any thoughts.... oh yes and of course I'm pretty peeved at yet another $600 + repair.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

GlenT

I do not have any definitive answers for you John. But from the two WR's that I have owned neither of them have ever had water pump problems.
I always (as I'm sure you also) have the pump changed at the same time as the cam belt.
The last pump that I bought (only a few months ago when I had the belts done) actually had a plastic impeller rather than the old cast alloy type, OEM of course.
The old pump was still in fine nick.
What exactly is failing on your pumps? broken impeller, seized shaft, leaking?
I'm seeing my mechanic this afternoon so I can see what he knows about these (he is rather well schooled in European vehicles particularly Audi's and Porsche's) and I'll get back to you.

qta4

i would be very interested with this and previous failures,exactly what failed, were previous failures similar?.
A friend of mine has a 87 non quattro and has travelled 600k plus ks ,still on original pump, makes it more interesting.
I also have had similar powered car and never experienced similar failures.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

John Stone

Thanks for the replies, any considered opinion appreciated.
Phil Payne made a good suggestion on the quattroforum about the cambelt tensioner being the wrong one and this "eats waterpumps". Considering the dodgy rebuild, it's possible that the tensioner is the incorrect item, and would go along way to explaining the short life of each unit. I will do the belt and tensioner this time as well.
On a positive note, Pete at Quattrocorner has offered to supply me with one FOC - he's a top bloke.
I can't be specific about the type of failure, although they all show the same symptoms, coolant leaking from the bottom of the cam belt cover, possibly bearing failure. I'm sure they are not subject to the belt being overtightened - that sound is really distinctive.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

orggti

Thats what I would say, that the belt has been over tightened.
As for the tentioner? how is there a wrong one? its a bearing? if it goes round and is smooth and the right width and the belt still fits over it then what can be wrong with it?

And Noel has you mates car really done 600,000kms and its the origional waterpump? I dont belive that sorry. Or he should ring the guiness book of records :D Im not saying your lieing of course but 600,000 on a water pump! I doubt many mechanics would belive that.

qta4

Hi Jem, I will ring on and ask him now.

Sorry i was wrong, he replaced water pump at 248000k because it was leaking. and again late last year.
1986 audi coupe . mileage now, 612387.
Never failed outright though

Maybe not a record but bloody good service all the same

orggti

I recon ;) good for the pump but even better for the engine and car in general, theres not many cars get to go that far not many even go half that far.

qta4

Jem ,high mileage is quite common in country areas,
I can name several couriers that have HIACE vans, both petrol and diesol that have clocked up a million ks.
Just ask an older courier owner driver.

We have in our town a taxi driver,(HIACE VAN) (BILL MILLAR) running LPG that has done more ks than above.
Our NZ COURIER driver last year bought a new transit, (poor bastard) and in less than 12 months has clocked up 132000 od ks, and he says that that mileage is almost the lowest of the fleet for the time.

My freind with the audi coupe almost lived in his car for years.
He now has a woman and cant afford too.
cheers

orggti

Good stuff :) I have read stories of audi 200s being run as taxis in germany with many millions of kms on them. Tho Im sad to say that my one only has 250k on it and it blows a bit of smoke and uses quite a bit of oil really. The speedo was broken when i got it tho so i dont really know what the milage is. Id love to fit a new K24 turbo on it and get the head recoed but i cant justify spending that sort of cash on her.............................plus i dont actually have it :P