Wheel alignment

Started by 1joe, December 21, 2006, 08:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1joe

Have just had the coupes wheels aligned but since it has been done it can be a little twitchy under acceleration. All measurements seem to be with in specs according to the data on the alignment machine.

Pushbutton_auto

your regular place ?

explain your concerns, get them to double check 
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

1joe

No it's not, the last place wasn't that flash either! Some guys just go by the book & some have that 6th sense. I guess I'm looking for that person!!

John Stone

Quote from: Peter on December 21, 2006, 08:01:36 PM
Have just had the coupes wheels aligned but since it has been done it can be a little twitchy under acceleration. All measurements seem to be with in specs according to the data on the alignment machine.

What size tyres Peter, and, what pressures are you running?

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

1joe

Standard 195x60x14" @ 28 psi.

John Stone

Quote from: Peter on December 22, 2006, 07:16:36 AM
Standard 195x60x14" @ 28 psi.

Hmm, well that's the standard size, try them at 30psi (cold). Run your hand sideways across the tread, no raised edges on the tread blocks?
If the engine is a perky little number, they can be a bit twitchy under hard acceleration, but no more than most front wheel drivers.
John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

Mike

I've just had the wheel alignment (and wheel balance) done on the 80q and it feels just like it did before; namely a steering wheel shimmy at 100kph and a slight pull to the left at all speeds. I am going back to them as soon as they re-open. You are right, it is difficult to find the right person to do a good job.

1joe

After doing some research & watching guys balance wheels etc you have to make sure that they have all zero's  when checking the wheels. I have noticed that some leave them up to 20 grams out. Also the weights have to be in one place on the rim not scattered around. As for the wheel alignment I think that there is not enough toe in so under load the wheels are forced back. Go here for more reading:
http://www.familycar.com/Alignment.htm

tempq18t

Quote from: Mike on December 28, 2006, 10:23:06 AM
I've just had the wheel alignment (and wheel balance) done on the 80q and it feels just like it did before;  and a slight pull to the left at all speeds. I am going back to them as soon as they re-open. You are right, it is difficult to find the right person to do a good job.
If you have an old school person do it they put left pull on as it was a "safety" thing for when old drunks fell asleep. You need to make sure someone from todays era does it as they don't use that technique.

Mike

Got the balancing redone today (at a different place - didn't want the 1.5hr round trip) - three of the four wheels were out, the left front and right rear were well out. The RR was 30gms out. Huge difference when done - no more vibrating of watch strap when on smooth tarmac at 100kph. Much nicer to drive. Clearly the original (un-)balance job was done by someone who didn't think that the owner of a 22 year old car in need of some cosmetic attention would know or care if it had been done properly or not.

Yes, I've heard of that left bias alignment "safety" technique - funny thing is the road camber tends to make a car bear left anyway, so if the alignment is left biased, what about the safety implications of the constant correction effort adding to driver fatigue?

I'll take it up with the (really good) bloke I take the car to, and suggest he gives his subcontractor a kick in the pants. And get the alignment redone as it still doesn't feel right.

GlenT

Isn't it sad that you take your vehicle to a "professional" and you are the one to take it back and tell THEM that it's wrong. Plus the huge inconvenience of having to re-book and take the time to get it done again.
Some people take no pride in thier work and should be avoided at all costs.

1joe

You are so right. I got taught that no matter how crapty the job you give it your best, after all no one can ask any more of you. One guy who did a wheel alignment on another of my cars drove it & said that's not right, used his obviously extensive knowledge & set it how he thought it should be. It was perfect! Unfortunately West Island is a little far to go!!

Mike

Yes, absolutely. When I pay for something I want it done properly. Why would I pay valuable heard earned tax-paid dollars (incl income tax, GST, etc) for something NOT to be done properly?

They probably get away with it 9 times out of 10. I think the quattros are more sensitive to rubbish wheel balance as the fact that the wheels are all linked through driveshafts and propshaft so they transmit more vibration through the car - especially when two (or more) wheels are vibrating out of sync.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Peter on January 01, 2007, 02:56:34 PM
You are so right. I got taught that no matter how s**tty the job you give it your best, after all no one can ask any more of you. One guy who did a wheel alignment on another of my cars drove it & said that's not right, used his obviously extensive knowledge & set it how he thought it should be. It was perfect! Unfortunately West Island is a little far to go!!

Who do you use Peter?

Try Mark at Karamu Tyre which is now the Goodyear agent, tell him I sent you, he does a good job and work on alot of Euro cars.

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

1joe

I used Spot On in Napier, but not again!

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Peter on January 02, 2007, 09:41:48 PM
I used Spot On in Napier, but not again!

Ive never heard of them. I take my cars to Karamu from Napier whenever I need a wheel alignment.

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

1joe

EUREKA! I found it & it wasn't in the yellow pages. Have found someone who knows how to do a wheel alignment. The car drives perfectly thanks to Dean at Bay City Motors in Napier. After the first alignment (the car handled like crap)a clunk developed in the right front. No one could say what it was. It was only at low speed when backing out the drive etc. So after repacing top mounts (both sides) right ball joint & tie rod end the clunk was still there. Replaced the half shaft, still no joy. Turned out to be the wheel bearing, although there was no rumble & no noticeable play.

Mike

Raised it with the mechanic who was not happy, and undertook to have words with his subcontractor (from a major tyre chain), and deleted it from the bill no questions asked.