Blaupunkt radio/cassette causes engine power loss??

Started by SteveC, December 29, 2006, 08:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveC

my wife's Polo ('96, 1600, NZ new) has a factory fitted Blaupunkt radio/cassette which seems to be causing problems

she says when the engine is cold, having the radio on causes the engine to stall, but OK with it off

yesterday my son took it down to Hamilton, cruising at 110 with the tape on the engine started to falter and cut out completely, did this a couple of times but turn off the radio and it runs sweetly (well actually it has a bit of a Jekyll/Hide nature and can be a real hoot to drive!)

any thoughts?

tempq18t

Quick guess would be that someone has had the unit out and it has been re-wired to the ignition in some odd way, must be shorting causing the cut.
Can the unit be switched on with the car off ??

I have seen some seriously dodgy wiring jobs done by people, generally because they try to re-wire a stereo to work without the car needing to be turned on.

SteveC

the radio will work with the key in the ignition but in the off position, i.e. putting the key in and taking it out will switch on/off the radio

the JVC unit in my VR6 works independently of the ignition and causes no problems

tempq18t

Quote from: SteveC on December 29, 2006, 10:20:29 AM
the radio will work with the key in the ignition but in the off position, i.e. putting the key in and taking it out will switch on/off the radio

the JVC unit in my VR6 works independently of the ignition and causes no problems

My pay to pull the unit out and check where it is sourcing it power and earth from. It will be wired directly to the ignition wiring just check that there is no dodgy bits that may be shorting.

Has the car got an aftermarket Alarm that may have interfered with the wiring at all ?

My Audi has the same system but never has an issue like that.

SteveC

Quote from: tempq18t on December 29, 2006, 11:38:07 AM
My pay to pull the unit out and check where it is sourcing it power and earth from. It will be wired directly to the ignition wiring just check that there is no dodgy bits that may be shorting.

Has the car got an aftermarket Alarm that may have interfered with the wiring at all ?

My Audi has the same system but never has an issue like that.

it has a Remac alarm fitted by a guy in Napier, where the first owner lived