Even the best make mistakes.

Started by dubstar, March 07, 2005, 10:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubstar

As all of you have probably read, Jem and I had to pull the gearbox out of my car AGAIN on Saturday (no-ones fault, just one of those things).  When we were pulling it apart I did the underside and Jem did the top (logical approach!).  We got everything out repaired the seal, changed the sump gasket, etc.  When we were putting it back together, I did the top and Jem did the underside.  It started up fine and ran perfectly.  Jem then asked me if I considered myself as a lucky car person or an unlucky car person, I replied by saying that I had only ever required a tow truck once so I was moderately lucky!

I then drove to my gf's place in St Lukes, had a shower and went out (in my car) to get some dinner.  The car was running beautifully!!!

After dropping Kate off, I started my journey home along the motorway.  I noticed that my voltmeter was only showing 8-9 volts and the battery light would come on when I came off the accelerator.  BUGGER, my battery or alternator must be f*&ked!!

I got as far as Otahuhu off-ramp before spluttering to a stop on the shoulder.  I called the AA and they came (within 15minutes I must add) and diagnosed it as a poked alternator.  I then had to get a tow-truck home (it was 11pm and pitch black) and roll my car into the garage.

I left it that night, feeling completely pissed off and making a promise to sell the piece of sh%t as soon as possible.  First thing Sunday morning I decided to pull the alternator off (I was thinking it must be flogged out) and strip it down.  This is not too hard and only took me 45 minutes.  Unfortunately the hardest part is trying to track down parts (I decided to replace as much of the alternator as possible!).  I went to Repco and looked through the big green lucas book, but alas, they had no parts in stock.

Disgruntled and disheartened, I drove home.  Along the way I was trying to figure out a solution.  It dawned on me that it may be a broken alternator lead (due to the suddeness of the failure).  When I inspected my car at home I found that one of the leads we disconnected on Saturday was still hanging free.  I could only laugh as I stood there with a dismantled alternator in my hand (luckily I hadn't invested in new parts!).  From there on it was an easy fix to put the alternator back together and connect up the lead.

Moral of the story;

Always start with the simplest solution

AND

Don't ever call your car a piece of sh%t, it will come back to bite you!   

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."