Crank tool in action

Started by orggti, February 19, 2007, 10:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orggti

Here she is, couldnt have done this without it as it was so tight this time and the quattros dont even have a hole in the bell housing that you can shove the dodgy old screwdriver into the ring gear trick. I had to lathe down my 27mm socket to fit through the hole but its all good now if any other vasker need this tool for their 5 pot motor let me know.

John Stone

Good one Jem....although I hope I won't need it ;)

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

orggti

Just to crap on i must say that the way the cambelt is tentioned by the water pump is an insane idea, you have to pull everything off then put a smear of sealer around the waterpump then jam it on and then quickly throw the rear part of the cam cover on and then the cam pulley back on then the cambelt and then before the sealer drys tap the pump around to get the correct tention, then do all the bolts up ::) crazy. Oh well its possible and ive done it. I was amazed at how worn my waterpump was as it was a good 2nd hand one that i fitted when i did the cambelt before, it was really really rough and had only done about 10,000kms max. It looked and felt like new when i fitted it!
SO always fit a brand new pump with every belt.
Oh yea I got my pump from auto clutch morningside for $58 and it was slightly longer at the front than the last one so it rubbed against the cam cover ??? I had to pull the cover off again and hammer the front out some for it to fit. Goes lovely now.
Oh yea, when you fit the belt tention it a bit tighter than you normally would (just a little) as you cant adjust it once the belt wears in a bit as the waterpump will end up leaking. So you can still turn it 90 degrees but its stiff.