What's the altezza like?

Started by Blake, March 15, 2005, 03:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Have a friend looking to buy one and wants to know what they are like i.e. speed, power, chassis, handling etc. Any ideas?

tempq18t

I test drove one with a friend of mine and not sure if it had a dodgy chassis or if they are just weird but it felt like the back end sways. Out of corners and uneven road surfaces felt real horrid.
Might have just been the one we tried though i have heard they do that a bit - could be hear-say though so don't quote me on it.
Engines are supposed to be real strong, they 2nd generation one is the best as well. i am not sure of the coding but there is one with extra letters, supposedly the better engine

Blake

back end sways? Perhaps it's rear wheel drive? How would they line up against a vr6 or gti-6?

veedubtom

They are RWD, BMW 3 series clone, good cars I think, but havent really had any personal experience with them, the RS200 is the good one, stay away from AS200, slow as

Blake

Just looking at jdm.com and they are getting some rs200's 2000+ into the country for less than 12k.

SimonS2

I drove a couple of 4WD Gita (wagon) Altezza's a coupe of years back. Handling was really good IMHO.
As noted, the AS200 is underpowered, but the RS is OK.
Haven't tried the bigger engined AS300.

RS ZWEI

I have a mate that had a Gita 3.0, he got it at 1500kms, it wasnt a bad car but nothing was stand out about it.
The BEAMS engine is the one to have with the 6 speed box, the power band is very narrow though.
But just look at the people that drive them.  ::)
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

beeker

rs200 is a goodie. RWD ~200hp

AS200 = need more power. that gita or what ever its called is too heavy.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

GLIDN

Factory spec rs200 = 154kw at the fly. Drove auto and manual. Not bad car, but like some said really narrow power band. above 5600 till 7800, this is also 4 cylinder, motor code 3S-GE (beams). As200 is 2litre 6 cylinder, those are donkeys, really slow pickup just a cruiser. it has a 1jzge motor. Where as the as300 Gita, those are awesome to drive. Silent, has a 3litre 6 cylinder in it, boasting claimed 174kw, it has the legendary 2JZGE, which means get 2000 supra turbo manifold ecu,setup, and it is a straight swap. Alot of people say that bottom end is the same between 2JZGE and 2JZGTE. But the 2JZGTE from supra bottom end is good for 800hp, with out any problems.

So bottom line, if you can afford gita 3litre go for it but auto. Such a nice car to drive the auto never really bothered me. If out of your price range go for a slightly to mildly modified RS200 manual. One i looked at had all the body stiffing chassis braces bottom struts front and rear, the exhaust is a tricky one, if not done properly, they sound terrible. And that one was really nice, even with the 18x8 front and 18x9.5 in the rear even with traction control on the rear still could step out. Where as the standard one, hardly even wanted to perform ??

Well there you go.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Blake

cheers for all the info guys. Much appreciated