Mk4 Owners - Your cars please

Started by RS ZWEI, March 03, 2007, 11:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark2 golf

is that Anton  (old user name Anton) car looks sick by the way just needs a rear r32 kit
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

rambo_005

Quote from: mark2 golf on November 09, 2007, 07:54:28 PM
car looks sick by the way just needs a rear r32 kit

It has a full matching ABT bodykit... would be silly to put an R32 rear bumper on ::)

mark2 golf

i thought that rear was standard excuse my Mk4 ignorance
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

uero-jet

Quote from: mark2 golf on November 09, 2007, 08:10:59 PM
i thought that rear was standard excuse my Mk4 ignorance
is a factory rear bumper with a ABT rear valance

AhhhThirtyTwo

Quote from: MK4R32 on April 30, 2007, 05:22:54 PM
Hi there, I also have a black 2003 R32 just clocked 35K. I'm the 2nd owner, obtained from Giltraps at 24K, standard except for K&N and europlate.

The K&N filter does it where the standard filter goes? cost? from where? is it just plug and drive?

Don't you just love lots of questions?

I have a 2003 R32 stock apart from the flapper mod.

veedubman

Quote from: AhhhThirtyTwo on November 10, 2007, 06:49:15 AM
The K&N filter does it where the standard filter goes? cost? from where? is it just plug and drive?

Whats the Flapper Mod

AhhhThirtyTwo

Quote from: ?iva on November 10, 2007, 06:50:28 AM
Whats the Flapper Mod

I am only going by what I have read on Vortex etc but there is a flap in the exhaust that only opens up above 45mph and a certain number of revs (I think that it closes off the left exhaust outlet (viewed from the rear of the car)). The flap is operated via vacuum. By doing the flapper mod you apparently get around 10hp and 10ft pd of torque, or nothing depending on who you listen to, tho I have seen a dyno chart claiming the 10bhp.

It's a very expensive mod cost=$0.00. As I understand it the flap stays closed until the conditions above are met, the mod keeps it open all the time so you get the "full exhaust sound" plus the slight power increase. If you look on Vortex there are heaps of ways of doing it, all sorts of buttons that open and close it, but this way is free and it is only as loud as it is when it's being driven normally.

From the back of the car, stick your head underneath the bumper, underneath the left tail pipe.  You'll see a rubber pipe going into the exhaust backbox. If u pull the pipe off from the vacuum (when the engine is off),  the flap will remain open at all times,  meaning you get the full loud exhuast sound all the time.

I just put a plastic cap onto the vacuum pump and a bit of tape around it, and a self tapping screw into the rubber tube and then placed the tube up into a convenient part of the chassis.

If you don't like it it can be reversed for the install cost.

omad

Quote from: AhhhThirtyTwo on November 10, 2007, 06:49:15 AM

Yeah, the K&N filter goes in the filter box where the existing filter goes, i think the filter retails for about $215 from repco, also can get a simalar filter from Platinum VW. i am also doing the Cold Air Intake as desribed here http://www.eurosport.org.nz/index.php?topic=3388.0 It is a very easy mod to do to increase power. haven't put on dyno yet so will post figures when i get it done.

The Flapper mod looks like another easy cheap mod to do.
1999 Golf GTI ABT
2009 Suzuki Jimny, 19.9% VAG and 1300cc's of off-road goodness...

veedubman

Warning do not install K&N Panel Filters in Volkswagen or Audi vehicles with Airflow Meters

K&N have pulled all their VAG Filter lines for VAG cars with MAF's in the united States

The Flow difference between modern paper filters and oiled fabric K&N filters is next to nothing..

so unless you wish to destroy your Airflow metre and be up for mega bucks for a peice of plastic with a silicone board embeded do not install a panel or a pod..

the oil from the filters damages the precision sensor!

also if your not willing to clean and re oil the filter every 10,000kms dont waste your time buying one..

omad

So how would i know if my Golf has an air flow meter???

Do they all have them??
1999 Golf GTI ABT

uero-jet

Quote from: omad on November 10, 2007, 06:11:43 PM
So how would i know if my Golf has an air flow meter???

Do they all have them??

yes they all have them

omad

well, i guess i better cancel the K&N, more money to spend on other things for car i guess....

i am getting a boost gauge and oil preasure gauge, thining about getting a oil temp gauge.

any thoughts??

1999 Golf GTI ABT

Period_Correct_

Quote from: omad on November 10, 2007, 06:33:06 PM
well, i guess i better cancel the K&N, more money to spend on other things for car i guess....

i am getting a boost gauge and oil preasure gauge, thining about getting a oil temp gauge.

any thoughts??

have you checked duostyling.com?
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

veedubman

if i were you buddy

only guages i would bother getting is

Boost and maybe A/F

you oil press and oil temp guages (aftermarket ones) are generally quite prone to leaking from where the senders are

however if your looking for perfect match guages

check out

www.newsouthperformance.com

http://www.newsouthperformance.com/indigo.htm

i have one of their boost guages its really responsive and matches the cluster guages..

i woul just buy a new paper filter if i were you and a new N75

and look at ordering a S3 Strut Brace they are 250 - 300 dollars from a dealership and they tighten up the flexi front of the MK4

ive installed several of them and everyone has loved em..

also look at upgrading your Dogbone Mount (lower engine mount makes everything feel far more direct)

veedubman

Quote from: mark2 golf on November 09, 2007, 07:54:28 PM
is that Anton  (old user name Anton) car looks sick by the way just needs a rear r32 kit

No buddy this is my car

Ive tried to keep it a with a clean as possible look with no exhast exposed and a smoothed primed and painted front and rear lips

AhhhThirtyTwo

Quote from: ?iva on November 10, 2007, 05:08:37 PM
Warning do not install K&N Panel Filters in Volkswagen or Audi vehicles with Airflow Meters

K&N have pulled all their VAG Filter lines for VAG cars with MAF's in the united States

The Flow difference between modern paper filters and oiled fabric K&N filters is next to nothing..

so unless you wish to destroy your Airflow metre and be up for mega bucks for a peice of plastic with a silicone board embeded do not install a panel or a pod..

the oil from the filters damages the precision sensor!

also if your not willing to clean and re oil the filter every 10,000kms dont waste your time buying one..

Don't doubt you for a second. From a Subaru perspective over oiling the filter causes air flow meter issues on WRXs and STIs. My WRX has a CAI with an oiled foam filter and I have not had a problem over the 12,000ks it has been there, but unless there is a major increase in flow it seems pointless.

rambo_005

Quote from: Živa on November 10, 2007, 07:12:34 PM
No buddy this is my car

Ive tried to keep it a with a clean as possible look with no exhast exposed and a smoothed primed and painted front and rear lips

What size tyres are on those 18s?

veedubman

225 45 R18.

the Mags are 7.5 wide with 38p offset

Period_Correct_

What car are you going to buy Anton? still after the Integra Type R?
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

veedubman

if  i sell this week i will have a R32 this week.. mk4 of course ;)