Started by RS ZWEI, March 04, 2007, 08:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsan083

2006 Golf R32

LED lights
Flapper Mod
Front lip
Tints

Plans to sell due to it being thirsty on fuel especially driving in traffic every day

timwright

Hey,

I just got a 2009 Golf GTI Pirelli. It's lovely - my first VW! Currently it's very stock, but depending on any advice, that might change...

Tim

BINKZ

Quote from: timwright on November 11, 2017, 06:07:41 PM
Hey,

I just got a 2009 Golf GTI Pirelli. It's lovely - my first VW! Currently it's very stock, but depending on any advice, that might change...

Tim

Hey man welcome to the club.
At the very least i would suggest getting a Stage 1 or 1+ (95/98 octane) Unitronic Tune.
Ups the horsepower from like 230 to 300+
I have done it on my own Pirelli GTI and it's worth every penny, completely different beast.
"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves." - The First History of Man

Knoxy

Hi guys,

Recently pulled the trigger on a 2008 Pirelli Edition DSG with 66000km. I'm the first NZ owner so I had everything serviced as soon as I got it, including the all important DSG oil change.

This is my first VW and it's replacing a 1997 Jeep Cherokee that was lifted on big mud tyres... a different experience to say the least.

Given the big increase in performance over my last vehicle I'm happy to get to know the car and leave it stock for the next wee while at least. A Remap will be on the cards after that.

BINKZ

Quote from: Knoxy on February 06, 2018, 02:14:34 PM
Hi guys,

Recently pulled the trigger on a 2008 Pirelli Edition DSG with 66000km. I'm the first NZ owner so I had everything serviced as soon as I got it, including the all important DSG oil change.

This is my first VW and it's replacing a 1997 Jeep Cherokee that was lifted on big mud tyres... a different experience to say the least.

Given the big increase in performance over my last vehicle I'm happy to get to know the car and leave it stock for the next wee while at least. A Remap will be on the cards after that.

Another Pirelli owner woot. Welcome  >:D
"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves." - The First History of Man

EINZ

Hi forum, I'd thought to share my old MK5 Pirelli with you, did some performance upgrades to her including Stage 2+ APR, DSG tune, BC coils, Milltek, R32 front brakes, R32 rear bumper, intake etc etc. Kind of miss her, she was quick and awesome to drive., she went to a good owner though.

I then jumped into a MK7 GTI, gave her a similar treatment APR Stage 2, Milltek Downpipe, coilovers, PS4s tyres, so far pretty happy with it.

How do you find the MK7 GTI vs the MK5 GTI? same sort of fun to drive?

I've got a stage 2 MK5 6spd, but looking to go for either a MK6R or MK7 GTI - same mods, stage 2 etc.

I love the look of the MK7 GTI, but also want to try the 4WD of the MK6R

EINZ

Quote from: 22 on February 17, 2018, 06:36:51 PM
How do you find the MK7 GTI vs the MK5 GTI? same sort of fun to drive?

I've got a stage 2 MK5 6spd, but looking to go for either a MK6R or MK7 GTI - same mods, stage 2 etc.

I love the look of the MK7 GTI, but also want to try the 4WD of the MK6R

To be honest, I probably enjoyed driving the MK5 more as it was more raw and brutal. To me, the MK7 is more mature, lighter, better chassis, more refined and fuel efficient, dsg is improved etc.

I test drove the MK6R before I brought the MK7. I think you get alot for your money in the GTI. plus I just wanted a newer car.

In stock form, I found the MK6R to feel more like a touring car rather than a hot hatch, with a tune and mods sure its a different story.  In the end, it depends on your goals, I think if your going for straight power and speed from the lights, you cant beat the 4WD. But if you want some drama get the GTI and invest in good tyres. 

My butt dyno tells me my stage 2 MK7 is faster than my MK5 at Stage 2+ but probably not much in it really.

Quote from: EINZ on February 17, 2018, 10:07:42 PM
To be honest, I probably enjoyed driving the MK5 more as it was more raw and brutal. To me, the MK7 is more mature, lighter, better chassis, more refined and fuel efficient, dsg is improved etc.

I test drove the MK6R before I brought the MK7. I think you get alot for your money in the GTI. plus I just wanted a newer car.

In stock form, I found the MK6R to feel more like a touring car rather than a hot hatch, with a tune and mods sure its a different story.  In the end, it depends on your goals, I think if your going for straight power and speed from the lights, you cant beat the 4WD. But if you want some drama get the GTI and invest in good tyres. 

My butt dyno tells me my stage 2 MK7 is faster than my MK5 at Stage 2+ but probably not much in it really.

Thanks for the reply.  I've heard a lot of stories that the MK6R is more of a cruiser, though more awoken once bolt-ons + tune.  I think the car will be driven daily, mainly to work and back + a bit of weekend driving. 

I think i'll test drive both like you did and see what feels more engaging. 

I love the MK5, but just like you I want something newer though with a bit more power.

the phantom

Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

Jdoit

Hi everyone...
2005 VW Golf Gti Black.

Forge Twintake Cold Intake
Milltek Turbo Back Exhaust.
3 inch pipe non-resonated, hi-flow cat,
Cerakote ?Black Velvet? exhaust tips.
Stage 2 Tune from NZ Performance Tuning

18" ABT AR alloys in Gloss Black.

Goes like a rocket... I Love it!

Dan

NicB83

Hi all,

My name is Nic and Im new to the forum having recently bought a 2007 Golf GTI. I'm located in Wellington  :D The new car is pretty stock standard but I have been on the look out for one for a while.
Get In, Shut Up and Hang On! ;)

DA7X

Hi guys,

Well after a big search for ?my? perfect Mk 5 GTI, I?ve just bought an ?05 manual.

I knew deep down that I wanted a manual, test drove with the DSG back to back, and in the end am over the moon with my decision.

Will try and get some photos up soon.

Alex

The Red Warrior

DA7X

The Red Warrior

I've got an 05 manual too. Still love it after 4 years and many mods.

DA7X

Quote from: The Red Warrior on July 14, 2018, 10:11:30 AM
I've got an 05 manual too. Still love it after 4 years and many mods.

I?m looking at initially doing the stage one upgrade in August or September. Did you have any issues with your OEM clutch slipping or did you just upgrade right away?

Anyway stoked with the car. I remember seeing a red MK5 at the Sydney Motor Show back in 2005 and knew then one day I wanted one. Needless to say, the wait has been worth it.

The Red Warrior

Quote from: DA7X on July 14, 2018, 02:17:36 PM
I?m looking at initially doing the stage one upgrade in August or September. Did you have any issues with your OEM clutch slipping or did you just upgrade right away?

Anyway stoked with the car. I remember seeing a red MK5 at the Sydney Motor Show back in 2005 and knew then one day I wanted one. Needless to say, the wait has been worth it.

Went stage 1 at about 120k then stage 2+ at about 130k. Just replaced the clutch recently at 166k.
It hadn't been slipping but went up in a cloud of smoke as I was reversing up a steep driveway and couldn't see where I was going. I was having to ride the clutch while being given directions. Next thing, clutch is out and I'm not moving.

creecha

2004 Golf TDI DSG stock standard for now.

Picked the little fulla up a couple of days ago and so far I'm impressed with the torque and I'm looking forward to getting a stage 1 tune for it as well as maybe a DSG tune as I read it makes a big difference but I'd love to hear other owners opinions on this one!

2004 VW golf tdi 170
2009 Triumph street triple
1998 Subaru wrx sti type r
2004 BMW M3