Started by RS ZWEI, March 04, 2007, 08:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schattenblau

welcome !
i almost bought an nz new tdi sport.
a very nice daily driver.
got pix ?

creecha

I tried a few times but it keeps telling me the upload folder is full so.....you'll have to imagine the silver beast for now.
2004 VW golf tdi 170
2009 Triumph street triple
1998 Subaru wrx sti type r
2004 BMW M3

schattenblau

best way to put a photo on here is to load it to a third party server and paste a link in your post.

Rigpig

So,

I bought a Mk5 GTi for my partner for Christmas, If I?m honest it was a bit of an impulse buy because someone at work was selling it and we needed another car due to the recent Death of her Altezza!

It?s a 5 door Japanese import in White with 128K on the clock

I like VW and drive an Amorok daily, we have had two Passat?s in the past but never have considered a Golf. Anyway, this one became available and apart from some minor wear and tear to the interior and two kerbed alloy wheels it is truly very tidy indeed. There is very little service history but given that it looks to have been very well cared for and that the price was right I thought we would give it a go.

So, I need to get the thing fully serviced including Cam belt and DSG Gearbox flushed and am looking to get some recommendations for a place in Auckland that knows these cars.

My plans for it are to fix the cosmetic bits and leave it as standard, she loves the car already and it has more than adequate grunt to keep us both happy :-)

I have already removed the gear stick surround and repainted it, now looks great. I?ve ordered new switches for the windows / mirror and bought a very cheap set of  original alloys to swap out the 2 that are kerbed.

Next is a full service as mentioned and replace the head unit with an Apple Car Play unit.

I?ll try to put a picture up :-)
Company Car
2006 Mk5 Golf GTi project car
2010 Mk6 2.0 TSi Wagon stage 1+ (Wifey's sleeper 🙂)

Fizz

contact Hennie at HSP Tuning (message HSP Tuning on FB) they based out in the north shore they a 1 stop shop. Alternatively Brodie European in khyber pass is also very good and a bit more central.

iiitsC

2006 MKV GTI in Candy White. AXX EA113 Motor.
Stage 1 AlienTech tune.
CTS Turbo series 2 intake.
Stuttgart ST12's 18'x9.5'.
Really want a Integrated Engineering down pipe w/ high flow cat and custom rear section. After that is done just going to look after it keep it in mint condition.

***NOTE***
Cant upload photo.

DaveR

2008 Mk5 GTI in Tornado red
6 speed manual
Owned since May 2017
78000km
Completely standard apart from Pioneer head unit
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 225/45/17

I love it - it's a keeper! :D

==== Can't attach a photo ====  :(

Here's a link.
https://imgur.com/SVHnYmJ
2008 Mk5 GTI 6-speed manual
Proper cars have 3 pedals :-)

Pristle

As of a few days before lockdown, I became the happy owner of a Mexican built 2008 Golf Sportwagon in Campanella white.

Stock
Designation is TSI, which is a little misleading as most feature the 1.4l motor. This is the 147kW BWA 2.0l FSI version.
6-speed DSG
102,*** when bought. (2nd NZ owner)

Wheels wise, the build sheet says: 7Jx17 and Bridgestone 225/45 R17. But somewhere along the way, someone has swapped the wheels. It's shod with 16" "Road America" rims which are from a Passat. The seller put brand new 215/55 Goodyear Optilife's on before advertising it. Maybe this is where the wheel swap happened. I'll wait until life returns to some higher level of sanity and the tyres wear a bit before restoring this (unless the tyres prove too slippery in the winter months). 

I replaced the Nippon-only dual DIN with a multi-lingual Pioneer unit I picked online in haste late one night. Meaning I wanted something before lock down and I didn't do my homework properly. It doesn't have GPS or out of the box support for MirrorLink to Android. But it was cheap(ish). Key issues got ticked, BlueTooth support and touchscreen.

Haven't really stretched its legs yet. Not sure if I want to.......the wife said "it's gone if you getting a ticket!" That said, it's an effortless and smooth ride that's way lighter on petrol than the Passat could ever dream about.

The only service history it came with is for a service that included cambelt replacement at 97,000km. One little niggle the car had at purchase was a 'check coolant' warning that would come on randomly a minute after starting. The sensor is built into the reservoir tank, but was a cheap replacement.

rambo_005

There's someone selling what I've seen to be the stock 17" wheels for the Mk5 Golf Variant 2.0T on the VASK Facebook group, with good tyres, for $350

Techno

Hi all

New member here   \o/

I recently became the proud owner of a 2005 Mk5 Golf GTI. Had 124800km on the clock when I bought it. Needs some work here and there, but that's where the fun starts right?  ;)

First things first will be a proper service and replacing all the parts that commonly fail on the Mk5's. After that there's a bit of nice to have's I need to get sorted. And after that hopefully some tuning...

ch0005649

Quote from: Techno on July 09, 2020, 05:45:06 PM
Hi all

New member here   \o/

I recently became the proud owner of a 2005 Mk5 Golf GTI. Had 124800km on the clock when I bought it. Needs some work here and there, but that's where the fun starts right?  ;)

First things first will be a proper service and replacing all the parts that commonly fail on the Mk5's. After that there's a bit of nice to have's I need to get sorted. And after that hopefully some tuning...

Hey man congratulations!
I still remember how I felt the first day I got my Gti.
Moving from a normal golf and Passat to a Gti, it was unforgettable.
We all do know it's not a super fast machine like AMG or M3 or 911 turbo, but it is joyful.
I think the reason is similar to why people like MX-5. It's just fun and satisfying.

You might already know this but what I am suggesting are these:

1. change the cam follower ASAP.
    the dealer usually wouldn't replace it. There are tons of videos on YouTube.
    I recommend you to buy one from TradeMe.

2. So when your car is about 120K, it's time to check spark plugs.
    stock mk5 gti usually use expensive NGK Platinum spark plug which would at least last about 8k~120k.
    if your car feels misfiring, it might be the spark plug or the ignition coil.
    I'm now using NGK iridium spark plugs, which is much cheaper (1/3 price) but last shorter, and no performance difference.

3. ignition coil. they are expensive. a whole set costs at least more than $270.
    but try not to replace them for no reason. it won't make your car run smoother.
   a mechanic has told me that you might need to replace just the faulty one only when the CEL is on.

4. if your car has rough idling, check the PCV Valve. I used to use Aluminum plate PCV delete kit but I swapped back to OEM.
    The reason was that it made terrible emission. Black smokes came out regularly.
    After changed back to OEM, no black smokes.

5. Diverter valve. Yes it is very important.
    there are several version of them. They call it revision C, D, G.....
    C is the worst one. D is piston type which is the best one.
    if you hear some whining noise, it would be the DV valve.
2014 RS7
2008 Audi TT 3.2 VR6
2006 Golf mk5 GTI stage 2  (Sold)

JarredP

Have a MK5 TSI 2009

Next upgrade is definitely a MK5 Pirelli Edition very soon hoping

,Jarred

LouieP

Quote from: JarredP on November 22, 2020, 12:35:33 PM
Have a MK5 TSI 2009

Next upgrade is definitely a MK5 Pirelli Edition very soon hoping

,Jarred
ED30 is very nice too. Pirelli's are flooding the market atm. Theres a red one on trademe for 10k
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

cobra

hi all.

I'm a poor high school student from Whangarei lol
I have a grey 2005 Golf 2ltr FSI Auto.
completely stock standard.
aftermarket stereo/ headunit with factory speakers
120xxx kms
serviced regularly by previous owners and in pretty good nick. (cam done at 100kms)
(pics to be added)

I am looking for any advice in terms of things to look out for as a noob with these cars please. (I appreciate a lot of this likely appears in other posts.... I am slowly going through the forum.
Is there anyone else from northland on the forum?
I am also looking for advice on cheap upgrades I can make to personalize my car on a budget and where you guys recommend I shop
Mods might come later but at the moment the budget is broken

disclaimer- my dad "strongly" advised I join the forum

mods- sorry if this post is in the wrong section or I have posted something I shouldn't have

The Red Warrior

Not wrong place at all. Welcome to the forum. Since you?re in Whangarei, keep an eye out at the local zebra car parts branch for any Mk5 Golfs to replace any broken trim pieces or other small items you may need.
There?s also plenty of upgrade parts that you can get from the GTI or the R32 to dress up your car a bit too (especially the front seats).

Worms

I'm in Whangarei and have legitimate VCDS as well as a reasonable amount of experience with the 2.0 FSI. I also have a few random parts sitting around from the 2 Tourans I've removed drive trains from.

I don't often have a whole lot of time, but often check in here, so may be able to help if you have issues  8)

Demario007

Hey everyone,

I have a 2005 Golf TDI Sport,NZ new..On 19'' 2012 Passat Cc rims,B14 Bilsteins and have removed the cat 🐈..

Has the BKD 2.0,goes awesome,love it .

Robin

Untitled by Robin Bentham, on Flickr

My Golf 2.0 GT FSI

Engine stock standard

Have done heaps of cosmetic mods during my ownership,  for those interested

Mk6 Atlanta alloys sprayed anthracite
RCD330 head unit with rear USB mod for apple car play
Audio changed from 3 way to 2 way, Focal component speakers in front & 6" pioneers in rear
Whole car soundproofed
Mk7 key with key fob windows mod
Mk5 GTI tartan seats
Mk5 GTI MFSW steering wheel with DSG paddles wrapped in alcantara/suede
Tinted windows & sun strip
Aftermarket halo headlights
Aftermarket LED tail lights
LED fog lights
Full LED interior light upgrade
LED mirror puddle lights
Red Led footwell lights
LED number plate lights