Airbag light problems

Started by 5-pot, March 13, 2007, 04:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5-pot

Well, 2000 A8 4.2.  The airbag light comes on intermittently for some reason and then goes away.  Anyone have this problem?  Is it actually a problem with the airbags or is it a dry solder or something causing the sensors to play up?  Warrant coming up and if that comes on during the test, it's a failed warrant for sure (pain in the arse, more than anything).  If there's something wrong with the airbags then, time to get them fixed! 

Another thing, the electric headrest seems to have conked out too.  It wont wind up and down and just makes a whirring noise like the cogs have lost all their teeth  ???  Anyone know how to get into them or is this a job for Conti's/Giltraps?

Thanks heaps!
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

tempq18t

Try a google search for this, I found allsorts of interesting results from some EU and USA sites regarding the A4, random things like the plug under the drivers seat having worked loose to someone having fitted a booster to the back of the stereo which caused a fault in the airbag reading.

Dubious

This happened on my '00 A4 a couple of months ago. The light came on one morning and stayed on.

Mechanic had to remove both front seats and clean/replace the contacts for the side airbags. Cost about $160.
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

Pepper

Ensure your battery is charged at least. Even when servicing the A8 you should always have the battery on charge. Some sporadic faults can be due to low battery voltage.  It's in the boot on the right hand side.  This problem happens mostly in the A6 esp 1997-2004. Punter gets in starts the car with their foot on the brake and a warning light comes on. Either ABS/ESP or a red (!) symbol. They check all the fluids and they haven't had anything mucked about. The A8 battery is huge but it still isn't big enough really. There are alot of things really that can cause the light to come on. But a trickle charger won't do any harm.

beeker

Maybe not the same issue, but:

On both my 2001 A4 (B5) and my 2001 RS4 i had to replace both airbag controllers. The symtom was that on cold mornings the airbag light would come on, and then slowly flash on/off until the warning light disappeared. Typically took 2 minutes, but the colder the morning, the longer the time. ie Winter only.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Pepper

If anything ensure you have the simple things covered before you start replaceing major items. If you have an A8/Q7/A6/TT2/A5 all of these have alot of draw interms of amps. As cars get older the battery losses it's capacity to retain voltage. The A8 even from new needs to have it's battery topped up.

beeker

My biggest piece of advice is get a solid after market warranty. Ideally from your local service agent that will be servicing the car. I love Euro cars, but the parts can be $$.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback