External Wastegate Question

Started by .:R32, March 24, 2007, 12:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

.:R32

I'm probably ganna get alot of crap for this.....but how well do you think a standard a4 turbo would go with a turbosmart 38mm street-gate, it would help with holding boost etc

robh

You'd have to do a whole bunch of fabrication to fit an external wastegate and it isn't going to help you make more power.  If your serious about making lots more power you need to ditch the factory turbo, which is the restricting factor in how much you can make out of a 1.8T.

Have a look at:

http://www.atpturbo.com/

They do several bolt on Garret turbos to replace the restrictive factory KKK unit, they call them "Eliminator kits".

Obviously you still need to deal with extra fuelling and cooling requirements.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

Filx

Those ATP kits look fantastic! Why bother with an external when you can bolt in a much better internal gate turbo? Get in quick while the dollar is so strong!

Anyway my point I was going to make is unless your internal gate is proving restrictive (causing overboost) there is no major advantage to going to an external w/gate. People may argue boost comes on quicker with an external but on a tiny turbo like the KO3 the difference might be minimal at best.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning