oh no the trans fluid and coolant have mixed

Started by hartster, October 09, 2006, 01:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hartster

BUGGER

My 100Q has just developed pink coolant.

In the expansion tank, its trans fluid. Caught it quickly, the extra pressure in the expansion tank blew the low coolant sensor seal, and it started leaking murky pink fluid all over the driveway.

The oil in the gearbox sump is clear. I drained the sump and there was no sign of coolant mix.

The coolant in the radiator was greenish, but murky. Oil / coolant mix came out at the end of the draining, which makes sense, being at the top of the radiator. It seems that most of the pink coolant / oil mix is in the expansion tank.

Greenbay you had this problem didn't you, execpt the mix went through into the box, yeah?

BUGGER

hartster

I need to find a replacement radiator for my '93 100Q.

Part number 4AO 121 251 M.

It has the transmission fluid cooler built into the side of the radiator.

I've found one very expensive replacement in AKL even at trade price ($600 +/-), would appreciate any other supplier suggestions.

Thanks

orggti

Have you pulled you radiator and seen if it can be repaired with a new side tank? it could be cheaper and better than just getting a old 2nd hand one.
In your descriptions you keep saying either oil, or trans fluid (ATF) which is red. Im thinking you should be saying ATF all the time eh?
You need to be clear as alot of audi transmission use oil in the diff part and ATF in the gearbox part that can mix also. Tho in your case i know you were talking about coolant being mixed.
Good you drained the trans as well to make sure you got any coolant out of it, just in case ;)
They make such a godamn mess dont they when you get a couple of things leaking away like that all cause of a small crack in some old plastic ::) not that im saying they shouldnt use plastic or I could do it better tho.

hartster

You're quite right orggti, stick to the correct terms! It's ATF leaking out of the ATF cooler inside the side tank of the radiator, into the coolant, and hence through the radiator, motor and into the expansion tank.

I've just got back from dropping off the radiator at the local repair shop. We're going to pull it apart and see if the ATF cooler can be replaced (not repaired). Failing that we'll remove the ATF cooler altogether, blank off the unit, and fit an external cooler.

I wasn't going to fit a second hand radiator, not worth the risk. I was looking for an alternative supplier to the usual suspects, but after heaps of calls I've realised that $500+ GST is the best I can do for a new radiator. And bollox to that!

I've got to work out how best to get the pink sludge out of the motor, but I suspect most of it ended up in the expansion tank.

orggti

$500+ isnt that bad for a new radiator I pay up too $280 to just have the top tanks replaced! I would almost go for that its a pretty important part.

Greenbay

Hartster, have pm'd you. Jeremy has seen the mods to cooling system on my 100.

orggti

You just had an aftermarket cooler didnt you? sorry I can t actually remember it in detail at all :-[

Greenbay

The part of the radiator that the ATF runs through was blanked off and an after market cooler installed for the ATF. The cooling system and motor was completely flushed to remove any contamination. All good now.

hartster

Quote from: orggti on October 10, 2006, 05:52:49 PM
$500+ isnt that bad for a new radiator I pay up too $280 to just have the top tanks replaced! I would almost go for that its a pretty important part.

Nope, decided against that, went with greenbay's method $140 inc to get the radiator cleaned, ATF cooler removed and blanked off, pressure tested etc etc, then $120 inc for the external oil cooler.

This is a VERY common problem on auto Audis according to Contis, their repairers, and audi forums. Why? Why?

orggti

Because they dont give a stuff what happens after the cars are over 5 years old.
In fact they like as much to go wrong as possible it would seem. They are in the buissness of selling new cars not caring about old ones and new car buyers dont care if the car gives trouble after 5 years as they wont own it then.

Pristle

Jem, go wash your mouth out ;) , that smacks of sedition (guess who's been listening to talk back this morning).

To be honest, I've always maintained that 'built-in redundancy" is a factor on vehicles (and other products), regardless of the brand.

Pushbutton_auto

Damn, just realised this is whats happening with the grey 100, my brother borrowed the car and screwed the box, he carried on driving it and milkshaked the mix.
Now I thought it was a gearbox mix, so I drove the car 6-7 times in last six months, New Lynn to Tat and back, and was wondering why the engine started to play up  !!!!!!!!

Obviously, the coolant has been flowing thru the ENGINE BLOCK.

Guess I won't be putting that engine into the white baby !!! 

Also means the Red and the Grey 100s are on their way out and I keep the White one with the swollen pistons.
and also means the grey gearbox may still be mech ok, the mixed fluid causing the slipping ?  Jem ?   could never figure out how it would drive for 5 kms, slip then if you turned it off and back on you could drive for another 5 kms !! 

:-\
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

orggti

they are talking about later 100s with V6s, you have a bust exchanger.

hartster

So I've had the same problem as before when refilling the auto box. there's no dipstick, and the manual says a refill (i.e. sump only) is 2.7 litres. With 2.7 litres it sounds dreadful in park and neutral when revved. So in goes more ATF until all the nasty whirring goes away and it runs smooth as, total oil into the sump is 3.5 litres. I'm assuming that the new ATF cooler and the torque convertor and pipes are all full of AFT and its the sump I'm filling.

Now from earlier posts I'm told that officially you're supposed to take the car to a dealer and have them check the level with the scanner and so on, bollox to that. I've also been told that when the level is right the ATF will dribble out of filler pipe when warm, and it would do that before when I took the plug out. When I dropped the sump after this coolant mixing problem, there was 3.5 litres in the tub, but the car was jacked right up high at the front and maybe the torque convertor had drained a fair bit.

But it just doesn't add up. 2.7 litres as per specifications is just not enough fluid.

orggti

Dont worry bout it sounds like you sussed it. they get things wrong.

typ53

Just to revive this one from the dead...

I haven't looked too closely at the radiator as yet, (yes, I'm being lazy here), but from what I read here I understand the trans-cooler is built into the main radiator.  Is that right?

If so, where did you guys source the external cooler and related parts from?

The Fleet:
Orange Roughy:'90 16v Corrado
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring
Still trying to figure out how to get 'em all to fit in a single garage....

hartster

Repco and local pump supplier for hose unions.

Yes the cooler is inside the radiator.

You won't be able to inspect it without dismantling the radiator.

typ53

Cheers, and bugger.  There's never access to a bore-o-scope whe you need one.
The Fleet:
Orange Roughy:'90 16v Corrado
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring
Still trying to figure out how to get 'em all to fit in a single garage....