Author Topic: ur quattro Owners - Your cars please  (Read 25942 times)

Offline John Stone

• On the lookout for a warm weather pattern
  • #
Re: ur quattro Owners - Your cars please
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 07:19:07 am »
Excellent, a new quattro owner, and from Tasmania too - welcome aboard...
Your car is a very early example, do you have any history on the car? I guess it was a UK import at some stage, is it blue, or black?

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

Offline Mike

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 08:38:27 am »
now thats interesting,I thought the early cars on the skinny wheels did't get sun roofs (like mine) and was where I soursed my S1 roof from.

I've seen early cars with and without sunroofs. I suspect that they were an optional extra (wow!) in the early days and seem to have become standard by the time the 20v came along. Adds 15kg to the weight according to Haynes.

graeme

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 10:23:39 am »
hate the things myself,could'nt believe it when I found my UR,no sunroof and analogue dash,fitted the big wheels....perfect.

mik

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 01:24:56 pm »
hi all, its a dark blue/greeny colour (if you have gran turismo 4, pick quattro, go all left, pick Lahsa Blue... there you go... ;D)

Now I have pieced together little bits and pieces, which colud all be wrong, have paperwork going back to '87...

Apparently the last 17 cars of the original WR build, with the quad headlights and analoge dash were the 1st RHD cars built (rather than a conversion), and mine is one of those...

Also apparently there were 12 cars in the UK, to get the sunroof that tilts and slides back... mines one of those, which is not actually a good thing...

Found some only info by the previous owner, who thought that this car was brought out for the melbourne motor show in early 80's guess '83...

bearing in mind, these 3 bits of info, could be completely wrong... (have the build no.s for the RHD cars, but have been too lazy to check, in case its not, hahaha)...

anyway, i was very lucky (or unlucky) to find this car, as there arn't amy in OZ, and bugger all in Tas, but it was the colour i wanted, without the digi dash... too bad it had a few woes...

but this did inspire me...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/mik_git/quattro/quattro_WRvRR_1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/mik_git/quattro/quattro_WRvRR_2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/mik_git/quattro/quattro_WRvRR_3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/mik_git/quattro/quattro_WRvRR_4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/mik_git/quattro/quattro_WRvRR_5.jpg

mik

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 01:32:35 pm »
hate the things myself,could'nt believe it when I found my UR,no sunroof and analogue dash,fitted the big wheels....perfect.

yes can't say i'm a fan, in summer, you open it, your head gets burned, in winter, you either get cold or wet or both... how in the world do people have convertables...

on another note, i thought thewider wheels came on teh facelifted WR, which also had revised suspension (lowered, angles atc) to make them fit and that the analogue dash was only carried over on US LHD cars...

which makes me ask, will the wider wheels fit my car without too much stuffing about? I do love the originality of my wheels... but... the wider ones do look better... (the only think I don't love about my car...other than the total fear something tiny will break an i won't be abel to fix it...)

Offline GlenT

• ##
  • quattromad
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 02:29:04 pm »
The 8" wheels will fit, but you will need to fettle the wee flange just inside the rear wheel arch, then have it welded back up so water wont get inside the double skin.
Only a section about 14 inches long though and not all the way around, as this will weaken the guard.
I did this on my old '84 as the tyres rubbed a tad when the car went over a big bump, or if I had two people in the back and went round a corner with some gusto.
If you can look at a series 2 quattro this will show exactly what I mean.
I could take a photo of my '87 flanges some time if that assists.

mik

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 05:10:02 pm »
you know, I think the wide wheels look better, but to be honest, i'm not that fussed... if i was then i'd had a sport quattro ;D

graeme

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 07:19:33 am »
put the 15x8 wheels on my car,the trick seems to be fitting 215s rather than the factory 225s.you end up with a tire that sites on the rim a lot nicer with less side wall flex and at least in my case no tire rubbing issues.The only problem is a 215/50/15 is a bit rare and will make a slight change to the O/A gearing

urq20v

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 08:02:44 am »
Graeme,the factory tyre size for the 8" ronals is 215-50-15.Cars that have had 225-50-15s fitted is for the reason you stated,215s are very hard to find.Seems only Dunlop makes a high performance tyre for the 8" Ronals at the moment.

Offline td19

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 08:50:23 am »
Dunlop SP9000 215-50-15ZZR tyres were available ex Japan 18 months ago ... I paid NZZ$265 per tyre.

graeme

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 02:48:49 pm »
sorry stand corrected,sure someone here said 225s anyway thats even better...

mark c

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 10:33:14 pm »
1984 WR Alpine White. 125,000 mls. Imported to NZ from the UK in 1994. I'm the 4th NZ owner. The previous owner spent alot of money in the eight years that he had the car. Including a full engine rebuild at 87,000 mls. I have owned the car for 18mths and have no major mechanical issues to speak of. I have been working my way through the suspension bushes and have to date replaced all in the front sub frame assembly. I have gone to a mixture of nolathane with standard Audi bushes. The nolathane certainly does make the car a little harsher on the road but the pay off in responsiveness is well worth it. I'm planning to rebush the rear sub frame this year. The engine is completely standard apart from the fitting of a Fuelstar Combustion Catalyst. The main reason for this was the unreliability of the 98 octane that I was putting in the car. Some fills would be fine and others were obviously lower octane and she would pink under full boost. The Fuelstar has sorted that out and given the engine better throttle response. I've also found that the new Gull 98 octane is excellent.

Been running the car in the ING Classic Trial Series. Only been able to get to Pukekohe twice so far but what a lot of fun.

So chuffed am I with the WR that I have bought a 1989 Coupe Quattro as my daily runner. It's a 10 valve in immaculate order. So how lucky am I getting to listen to that wonderful 5 pot burble most days!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 08:30:29 am by mark c »

Offline John Stone

• #
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2008, 07:19:47 am »
Good to see you found us Mark.....

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

Offline GlenT

• ##
  • quattromad
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2008, 11:59:09 am »
Ditto.
Nice to see that Ur is in good hands.
After seeing that photo, I'm going to have to take mine out for a drive this afternoon, first time in about 6 weeks. The Sun's out so it'd be rude not too.

Offline John Stone

• #
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2008, 01:21:57 pm »
Ditto.
Nice to see that Ur is in good hands.
After seeing that photo, I'm going to have to take mine out for a drive this afternoon, first time in about 6 weeks. The Sun's out so it'd be rude not too.

I've driven to work in mine today too - because it's raining ;D

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5