ur quattro Owners - Your cars please

Started by RS ZWEI, April 04, 2007, 10:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlenT

The 8" wheels will fit, but you will need to fettle the wee flange just inside the rear wheel arch, then have it welded back up so water wont get inside the double skin.
Only a section about 14 inches long though and not all the way around, as this will weaken the guard.
I did this on my old '84 as the tyres rubbed a tad when the car went over a big bump, or if I had two people in the back and went round a corner with some gusto.
If you can look at a series 2 quattro this will show exactly what I mean.
I could take a photo of my '87 flanges some time if that assists.

mik

you know, I think the wide wheels look better, but to be honest, i'm not that fussed... if i was then i'd had a sport quattro ;D

graeme

put the 15x8 wheels on my car,the trick seems to be fitting 215s rather than the factory 225s.you end up with a tire that sites on the rim a lot nicer with less side wall flex and at least in my case no tire rubbing issues.The only problem is a 215/50/15 is a bit rare and will make a slight change to the O/A gearing

urq20v

Graeme,the factory tyre size for the 8" ronals is 215-50-15.Cars that have had 225-50-15s fitted is for the reason you stated,215s are very hard to find.Seems only Dunlop makes a high performance tyre for the 8" Ronals at the moment.

td19

Dunlop SP9000 215-50-15ZZR tyres were available ex Japan 18 months ago ... I paid NZZ$265 per tyre.

graeme

sorry stand corrected,sure someone here said 225s anyway thats even better...

mark c

1984 WR Alpine White. 125,000 mls. Imported to NZ from the UK in 1994. I'm the 4th NZ owner. The previous owner spent alot of money in the eight years that he had the car. Including a full engine rebuild at 87,000 mls. I have owned the car for 18mths and have no major mechanical issues to speak of. I have been working my way through the suspension bushes and have to date replaced all in the front sub frame assembly. I have gone to a mixture of nolathane with standard Audi bushes. The nolathane certainly does make the car a little harsher on the road but the pay off in responsiveness is well worth it. I'm planning to rebush the rear sub frame this year. The engine is completely standard apart from the fitting of a Fuelstar Combustion Catalyst. The main reason for this was the unreliability of the 98 octane that I was putting in the car. Some fills would be fine and others were obviously lower octane and she would pink under full boost. The Fuelstar has sorted that out and given the engine better throttle response. I've also found that the new Gull 98 octane is excellent.

Been running the car in the ING Classic Trial Series. Only been able to get to Pukekohe twice so far but what a lot of fun.

So chuffed am I with the WR that I have bought a 1989 Coupe Quattro as my daily runner. It's a 10 valve in immaculate order. So how lucky am I getting to listen to that wonderful 5 pot burble most days!

John Stone

86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

GlenT

Ditto.
Nice to see that Ur is in good hands.
After seeing that photo, I'm going to have to take mine out for a drive this afternoon, first time in about 6 weeks. The Sun's out so it'd be rude not too.

John Stone

Quote from: GlenT on February 23, 2008, 11:59:09 AM
Ditto.
Nice to see that Ur is in good hands.
After seeing that photo, I'm going to have to take mine out for a drive this afternoon, first time in about 6 weeks. The Sun's out so it'd be rude not too.

I've driven to work in mine today too - because it's raining ;D

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

DaveL

It's mine, sorry for the late reply.

I have  owned it for about 13 years now, 3rd owner from new. Has had various mods over the years , incl MTM chip, increased boost to match (mechanically variable using an allen key!), uprated brakes with drilled and grooved front discs and stainless braided brake lines all round, full stainless big-bore exhaust from Milltek. Now done 213,000km still hasn't had the head off! Clutch and master brake cylinder replaced in last couple of years. Recently had a paint re-furbish (incl new decals from AM Sports in the UK) courtesy of Ray Hasler Autohaus ( thanks Stefan, best job possible). Still a work in progress, still can redline in top gear.... nuff said.

First reg in '87, but is technically an '88 model, ABS, Torsen diff, factory full leather, heated seats, pearlescent white, sunroof. Now runs 225 tyres as original 215's are too hard to obtain, don't get any tramlining but do get awesome grip!

Regards,
Dave

colingrant

Wonder if this will work

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

marc

I guess I should add to the thread. I have a 1985 that I am building to rally next year (2010) here in south east Queensland. You can blame John Stone for me being here as it was he who put me on to Wilco via this forum.

I have no real idea of the whole history of the car but it was a UK import in 1989 by the guy I got it from this year. Prior to that, who knows but suffice to say it was early enough to be saved from the rotten (and "rotting") weather over there. There is no rust in this shell at all! The car was involved in an accident quite some years ago and was repaired then never completely reassembled. I inherited a bit of a basket case of boxes and boxes of bits. It was all there though, minus a couple of exterior bits that we have since sourced.

I decided to build it up as a Group 4 replica, basing it on the 1982 Tour de Course cars. Thanks to a few good souls and especially Wilco, we have all the exterior bits we need to make it look right.

At the moment it's sitting in my garage, caged, sealed and undercoated and ready for paint. We are also making fibreglass moulds of the front and rear bumpers, bonnet and front guards as both a weight saving exercise and also to be able to put the moulds and original panels in to storage, just in case we ever have the misfortune of bending anything.

The motor will be a near standard WR with the only modification being a bit of a porting job, cam and EFI. In fact, a stock motor would be fine by me as we're not going out there to set the world on fire, just to have a bit of fun and maybe spread a bit of excitement around the older rally enthusiasts here. I know I'd love to see one running here!

As next year is the 30th anniversary of quattro, it's that little bit more special too.

I am trying to keep a record of the build and have created a website to both follow that and to thank all those who are contributing their time, effort and encouragement: http://rallyquattro.net

There are some photos not added yet to the site and they are sitting in http://rallyquattro.net/photos/ - including many photos of Todd Corey's ex-works A2. Todd has been a never ending source of encouragement and information and without him, we'd be struggling.

Target event is the Border Ranges Rally in August 2010. This event is held on good quality roads in the range between Queensland and New South Wales and in the general area used by the WRC this year. Nice shire roads that don't bash the crap out of the cars like many of the forest roads we otherwise use up here. If the car is finished earlier, we might try to get it to an earlier event but I am not rushing anything on this build. It will be done slowly and properly and the result should be a stunner if the previous work of my painter (a damned perfectionist) and my fabricator (also my navigator) is anything to go by.

I should also mention what a nice bunch of cars I have seen in this thread. I would so love to have a Ur quattro as a road car and have wanted one since I first heard of them in about 1982. Of course I will be content with the rally car but a nice shiny, comfy and quite monster would be something... but they are so scarce and expensive here.

choppy16v

awesome project mate.thanks for sharing it with us!
welcome to vask.

marc

FFS

Hi everyone...John from the Waikato here. Proud to be the new owner of DaveL's pearl white urq. 

John Stone

Good to have you and your MB here John look forward to checking it out some time in the future...

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

FFS

Cheers John, it sounds like you and your fellow club members are paragons of knowledge on these, and other interesting cars. I didn't have time to put in much info in my last as I was just squeezing in an introductory note while at a hotel in Chch. I literally ran out of time and got the brief post in with seconds to spare, before the session timed out after completing my normal business. In any case, members will likely be familiar with my car through the previous owners posts. There's not much to add really,- the car's a late 87 build, first reg in NZ at the start of '88, so it looks like it hasn't been on the salt for long before being brought to NZ. Pretty tidy for a 23 yr old beastie, but it does show its age here and there in some areas (heated seats not coming on, rear wiper motor not switching off once activated), some paint blemishes, occasional noise from a powersteer belt (or unit, heaven forbid), bit of noise from perhaps the thrust bearing. On the plus side i the ur qis of course a car purchased for its charismatic pedigree and for the driving experience it provides....I have hardly stopped using mine since I brought it home. When it's time for work,- "hmm shall I take the bighorn or the quattro?" An easy choice, and now the Bighorns battery's gone flat.

I've had a bit of a search through this website to find out what I can further about this car: NS2146....if anyone knows other history for this car I'd be glad to hear it. As mentioned in my post about that "jizim" ur q (which I looked at before I bought this one) I previously had a 83 ur q in Mars Red, which I sold about 2000. Love the quattros, always have, always will, despite the fact that they absorb money like a Dubai oil Kings mistress.   

GTI's

AUDI QUATTRO 1987 (in White)
Plate: NS2146
Vehicle details

* Make: AUDI
    * Model: QUATTRO
    * Year: 1987
    * Main colour: White
    * Vehicle type: Passenger Car/Van
    * Body style: Sports Car
    * No of seats: 5
    * CC rating: 2,144cc
    * Fuel type: Petrol
    * Country of origin: Germany

Vehicle Identification

* VIN:  Find out by purchasing the report
    * Plate: NS2146
    * Plate type: Standard

* Licence type: L (Licence for normal road use)
    * Licence expiry: 2010, July 23rd (expires in 2 months)
    * Latest licence issued on: 2010, January 20th at 10:10
    * Continuous licence: Yes

Registration

* Registration status: Active
    * Vehicle usage: Private Passenger
    * Cause of latest registration: Used
    * Date of first registration in New Zealand: 1988, January 11th
    * Date of last registration: 1988, January 11th
    * Was registered overseas?: Yes
    * Previous country of registration: United Kingdom

Plates history
Plate    Effective date