Project 200tq

Started by Pristle, December 04, 2006, 11:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pristle

Some of you may recall my son embarking on a project to slot a 200t motor into his 90q a while back September/October '05. (Sadly since this saga began, the 90q has made it's way to Audi heaven, Jem has some of the earthly remnants.)

He had originally bought the motor from 'European Car Part Dismantlers' in Papakura. After being ripped an obscene amount of money, with a promise of a loom and attached electronics. Which when it came time to deliver, they were curiously and apologetically missing. At this point we asked for our money back. We were refused. The best they could offer was that they could try and sell it on our behalf.

Eventually after many dodged phonecalls, they requested that we provide them written permission to sell the motor.(I vaguely recall a request that it be sighted by a policeman.) We sent a letter, but hadn't had a response. I went out there myself a few weeks back seeking a headlight for my 80. When there I asked if they'd had sold the 200tq motor, and if not did they still have it. The guy (Lee) said no, that the motor was still there. He said that they'd just bought the business and the previous owner had explained the story of the motor to him. He showed it to me, "SOLD....SOLD....SOLD" was scribbled all over it, with my son's name and phone number etc. He said if we still wanted it, we must come fetch it.

I figured, "mmmmm, why not?". My son's 200tq needs some major work, radiator and hoses popping, leaky intake. Let's get this motor into the workshop and do it properly before doing a swap. I'd been thinking along the lines "He's got his Laurel going now, let's get the 200tq going and then I can use it while I focus on my 80....;)".....then of course the Laurel was nicked.

This past Saturday we finally had a clear calendar, we went down to Papakura to fetch the motor. They grabbed it with the forklift, dropped it onto the trailer. I asked if they had any 3As or 9As, he said lots, although when we looked he had a heap of Digifant 8v from Mk3s.

Came to time to leave, Lee hops on the trailer and shouts "hey, what about my money?!?",
I reply "Money? What money?", he gestures at the motor to which I reply "no way Jose, read what it says on the engine.... read what it says on this receipt"
He says "No, no, no, that was other owner......me new owner.....must give me money!!"
I explain that the motor was never his, it had already been sold when he took over the business and he had already agreed that I could collect whenever. He was adamant.
I got the police on the phone and they said "deal with it." I said "I want to but the guy might get hurt falling off the trailer when I pull off", they said I couldn't do that. I said my options were limited.

I though okay, they've had this motor in 'storage' on our behalf, I'd be reasonable and that I'd pay them $10 for each of the 6 months they've been involved with the business. (They've only owned it for 2)

At this point Lee sought counsel with his business partner. (3rd mistake, he got off the trailer....1&2 were getting on the trailer & demanding money). Lee's partner was more belligerent and less inclined to reason. I explained everything to him, which Lee listened and concurred with. This guy was adamant that when they bought the lot everything came with it. I stood fast and repeated my offer that I'd previously made to Lee. He said that wasn't good enough and that he wanted $12 a day, "so it'd be cheaper for us to pay for the engine again". I told him he was nuts, called my son, and we left.

The only people I could see in the retreating distance, who came out after us were other customers who hooted and gave us the thumbs up.

The engine is neatly mounted up on an engine stand awaiting work to start. In the meantime I've started a shopping list. I note too, that since I last saw it, it's missing a flywheel and it's k-jet distributor. We did score a steering rack somehow.

Tim paid a total of $900 for the motor(+ trailer hire), which was supposed to included all the ancillary bits.

Pushbutton_auto

Well done,  old man.

:)         
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

orggti

Oh dear wreakers eh, they like tow truck drivers are in a leauge of their own when it come to being unreasonable, or just down right theives.
Was the old owner called Roberto? Ive delt with him, he was ok just a bit disorganized. Good you got away with your motor, what a terrible mess and rip off with no loom or fuel distributer. I hope its a good low km motor as I doubt they are cheap to rebuild or even freshen with rings and valve guides alone.

Pristle

Jem, I think you're right, I recall the name Roberto. He had a black Zimbabwean guy, Rudy, working for him too. He's also gone. He was quite switched on.

I'll probably get the head off this weekend. If the underspec plugs are anything to go by, it's going to be mucky. I won't let my son put it into the 200 until it's right though.

The worry is that he wants to race at Pukekohe in January with it!! So I'll have to go s-l-o-w-l-y..... The last thing he needs is to run a rebuilt motor in, down the back straight!!!

hitmanGTI

shizer.. i guess ur not going back there again!!!

turbo90

if you get that engine in a 90 it will be all worth it.