R8 in NZ

Started by Simon MkII, April 12, 2007, 03:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon MkII

Rumour has it a lhd R8 is in the country...

It may or may not be on display some time next week...
Mazda Mx5

GlenT

One of the perks of working for a dealer I suppose.
Will you be getting a squirt round the block in it?
Hope you do.

Simon MkII

I hope I do too but the chance of that happening is highly unlikely. I doubt anyone will get a ride in this one.

I haven't actually seen the R8 that may or may not be here, but some of the sales guys have.
Mazda Mx5

HandsomeDan

Quote from: 16vGTI on April 12, 2007, 03:16:10 PM
I hope I do too but the chance of that happening is highly unlikely. I doubt anyone will get a ride in this one.

I haven't actually seen the R8 that may or may not be here, but some of the sales guys have.

Even though it may not be here ;D
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

GlenT

I'm getting all excited just hearing about it!
Surely it will head down to Dunna's for a promo trip?
The sad thing is all the salesman getting behind the wheel of this R8 and absolutely ringing it's neck off from cold.
Saw this happening to the RS4 Avant demo car here a few weeks back, salesman redlining it cold from the yard. Fabulous sound (it litterally gave me goose bumps) but with black smoke coming out the back and those revs just made me cringe. Poor car!
Some people just have no respect.

rambo_005

Quote from: GlenT on April 12, 2007, 03:24:22 PM
The sad thing is all the salesman getting behind the wheel of this R8 and absolutely ringing it's neck off from cold.
Saw this happening to the RS4 Avant demo car here a few weeks back, salesman redlining it cold from the yard. Fabulous sound (it litterally gave me goose bumps) but with black smoke coming out the back and those revs just made me cringe. Poor car!

The "it's not mine" mentality ::) Look where it got that guy in the new S6 V10 a while back...

HandsomeDan

And Eddie Griffin... ;D
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

GlenT

Too true.
What happened to this chap I wonder?
Is he sweeping floors or did he get a size 11 shoe up his jacksee and told not to bother showing up for work again?

Simon MkII

It's a lhd show car so will most likely be scrapped once it's done a few rounds...
Mazda Mx5

GlenT

Do you have any "spy" photo's of this particular car in question?
Imagine putting that into a crusher, how dear they :'(

RS ZWEI

They only rev so far when they are cold (limited) just like VTECS and MIVECS etc.

Still cold is cold and I wouldnt do it.

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

GlenT

That's a slight relief at least I guess.
But that didn't stop the black smoke from coming out the tail pipe from being so rich.

old4130

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on April 12, 2007, 03:58:47 PM
They only rev so far when they are cold (limited) just like VTECS and MIVECS etc.

Still cold is cold and I wouldnt do it.

None of the VTEC's & its been a few, I have had have had a cold rev limiter.. which is just as well, cause you need the revs for any sort of torque

One I had, had no rev limter at all.. over 10,000rpm was still reving strong, & after 3 years no damage.. those VTEC's sure are fun  ;D
2005 Audi A4 1.8tq S line
1997 VW Golf GTI 16v
2011 Keeway Matrix
1987 Honda Beat FC 50 ~ 50cc of Fury

2000 SEAT Cordoba SXE ~ Her Car - Sold
2004 Subaru Forester XT 2.5 Limited ~ Her Car

rambo_005

I'm pretty sure an i-VTEC Accord Euro I drove has a cold limiter? Must have come with the 'i'?

old4130

Dad had a iVTEC Integra.. none there also.. weird, maybe it was certain models only

Can't recheck now.. no Honda anymore..  But he is loving his Eos  :) 8)
2005 Audi A4 1.8tq S line
1997 VW Golf GTI 16v
2011 Keeway Matrix
1987 Honda Beat FC 50 ~ 50cc of Fury

2000 SEAT Cordoba SXE ~ Her Car - Sold
2004 Subaru Forester XT 2.5 Limited ~ Her Car

-----

Quote from: 16vGTI on April 12, 2007, 03:01:00 PM
Rumour has it a lhd R8 is in the country...

It may or may not be on display some time next week...

i read in last saturdays hearld the r8 was on display at ccs this weekend.
2003 MK4 Jetta VR6 24V 4M S/C - Sold
1999 MK4 Golf GTI Oettinger - Sold

rambo_005

Quote from: X 130R on April 12, 2007, 06:45:15 PM
Dad had a iVTEC Integra.. none there also.. weird, maybe it was certain models only

Can't recheck now.. no Honda anymore..  But he is loving his Eos  :) 8)

Maybe it was the Accord V6? I can't remember ;D

M

What day would this have been mate? In Dunedin? I take it you mean a red one? It has been in the workshop for a couple of weeks now for a few warranty bits and to be honest it may not have been cold. We tend to leave it running for 10 mins before moving it as it is pretty lumpy when cold(this is in the workshop not sales yard). And yes it has a 7000rpm cold limiter on it. It does sometimes throw some black out if it has been sitting warming or even driving about and then the sport button is pressed opening up the exhaust some more.  ;D
Too much power is almost enough.

AndyS

EMD were showing a black one at Puketutu Island tonight.  Will try to post pictures tomorrow, I'm too tired now.  In any case I'm guessing most Auckland based vaskers will see it on the weekend?

RS ZWEI

Quote from: X 130R on April 12, 2007, 05:10:23 PM
None of the VTEC's & its been a few, I have had have had a cold rev limiter.. which is just as well, cause you need the revs for any sort of torque

One I had, had no rev limter at all.. over 10,000rpm was still reving strong, & after 3 years no damage.. those VTEC's sure are fun  ;D

Im glad to here you dont know anything about this, just means you must have mechanical simperthy ;)

Honestly, would you have reved your Hondas past 6,000rpm in the first few minutes of start up?

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8