Recommend a good panel shop?

Started by td19, April 26, 2007, 05:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

td19

The rust in the door pillars of my Coupe Quattro has finally been detected and I'm going to have to get it fixed.  Can anyone recommend a good and reliable panel beater for this type of work, preferrably city or West Auckland.  I don't need a concours-quality paint job, particualarly as the areas are visible only when door is open, and would like to keep the cost to a reasonable level if possible as car has done 250K and really does not justify major expenditure at this stage of its life ... although still running extremely well. I would be grateful for suggestions

johnp

Good panel shops are long gone, they disappeared around 20 years ago!!! :-\ :-\

qta4

unfortunately most craftsman panel beaters, the real ones got so pissed off by insurance companies ,who valued all the same,have become insurance assessors or are selling real estate etc.

Most real craft people have evaporated because technical expertise just doesnt cut it today.

Same as very experienced mechanics, who unfortunately work in an environment controlled by car salesmen.

Experienced engine builders are also going.

Soon an experienced person in the motor trade will be someone with 2 years experience..crap.

All driven by consumers wanting everything for nothing...... needed to say that
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

johnp

Quote from: qta4 on April 26, 2007, 07:25:58 PM
unfortunately most craftsman panel beaters, the real ones got so pissed off by insurance companies ,who valued all the same,have become insurance assessors or are selling real estate etc.

Most real craft people have evaporated because technical expertise just doesnt cut it today.

Same as very experienced mechanics, who unfortunately work in an environment controlled by car salesmen.

Experienced engine builders are also going.

Soon an experienced person in the motor trade will be someone with 2 years experience..crap.

All driven by consumers wanting everything for nothing...... needed to say that

Sadly true. :( :(

BB

Spinner had his coupe quattro repainted by these chinese guys who I thought did a really good job for the money he paid which was like $1500 for a full repaint with a clearcoat. Theres a few little bits that could have been done better but its pretty damn nice.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?